Storage and Preservation

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: Storage and Preservation

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

That's some great info Jerry. Here's one we plumbers like to call the blue wrench.
Attachments
image.jpeg
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Plumber eh? Have you ever seen a toilet lime up so much it wouldn't flush?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
KnifeSlinger#81

Yep, you have to pull them and scrape it out depending on where or how bad it's limed up.
-Paul T.

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Another Sack-up fan.. Use the 18s and this reminded me I need to get a few more!! ::facepalm:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:That's some great info Jerry. Here's one we plumbers like to call the blue wrench.
Us auto mechanics use a blue flame wrench too. But the one we use provides far more removal force. ::nod::
Attachments
Acetylene-Torch.jpg
Acetylene-Torch.jpg (6.96 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Bingo. Spot on. WD40 is great for what it was designed for. It's the folks that insist on using it for a lubricant or in the place of Liquid Wrench et al, that drive me nuts.
Actually, it can be used as a lubricant. It even says so right on the can. And their website list "WD40 is not really a lubricant" as one of the myths surrounding WD40.
https://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts
A QUESTION OF LUBRICATION

Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.
However, having said that, I still use it primarily as a cleaner and for surface rust prevention. For slip joint lubrication I use Liquid Wrench lubricating oil. Which should not be confused with Liquid Wrench penetrating oil.
Yehuda

Post by Yehuda »

I use CLP oil, a high quality gun oil, and I store in velvety jewelry type boxes with a small silica bag for humidity control. I'm about to start making custom boxes for my best knives..
1487392794225.jpg
"Wise man say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

gwelker62 wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote: I know some like it but personally I wouldn't use WD40 on a good knife unless it's all I had. There's far better products available.
What is it about WD40 that some folks don't like? And what makes other similar products better? From my humble experience of 45+ years of WD use on tools and parts, it does an excellent job for preventing water intrusion, damage, and corrosion. It's what it was designed to do. Hense its name Water Displacement formula 40. And its formula hasn't changed since its release over a half century ago. ::shrug::
Just stating my opinion about WD40. I have used it for years and have several cans of it sitting around (seems every year someone gifts me another can at Christmas). As for what I don't like about it, well, you sorta answered that yourself. "It's formula hasn't changed since its release over half a century ago." Over 60 years ago in fact - it's almost as old as I am. ::facepalm::

Since that time IMHO better products gave been developed. I prefer Tuf-glide, which was developed under military contract to solve the need for a firearms and gear lube and corrosion preventative that would not attract dirt in the dusty Iraqi desert environment, among other factors. This happened 30 or so years after the introduction of WD40. In fact it was a Marine veteran of the Iraq wars (both of them) that introduced me to Tuf-glide several years ago at a local shooting range. I find Tuf-glide to be an excellent lube for knives and firearms as well as an unbeatable preservative for metals.

As for other alternatives to WD40, as a preservative I'll also vouch for Renaisance Wax (Ren Wax) which is used to preserve antiquities by some of the finest museums in the world. If WD40 was better I'm pretty sure they would be using it.

I'm always looking for and trying other products (like FrogLube for example) and if I find something better than what I'm using I'll be converted. I'm glad you like WD40. I also use it on shop tools. But not to store and preserve collectables. They're your knives so you're the best judge of what meets your needs. ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
KnifeSlinger#81

gwelker62 wrote:
KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:That's some great info Jerry. Here's one we plumbers like to call the blue wrench.
Us auto mechanics use a blue flame wrench too. But the one we use provides far more removal force. ::nod::
They sure do, but they aren't nearly as portable :lol: There was one job where we needed and used one, it was kind of a specialty thing.
-Paul T.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Which all goes to prove that everyone has their favorite way of doing things because it works for them to their satisfaction. Have at it boys. There's never a shortage of opinions on AAPK. :lol: :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
truck

Post by truck »

I keep NIB knives in the bottom of a toolbox, and have tools and "project" knives in the top tray. Loose knives are in rolls, separated by brand. (Case roll, Schrade roll, etc.) Before fastening them, I drop a desiccant pouch into each roll. When I clean a new acquisition I start with Rem-Oil and a toothbrush with stiff nylon bristles to dislodge dirt and gunk. If the blades are rusty I graduate to a brass toothbrush with soft bristles and Hoppes #9. I never go overboard because I like character on old knives. When it's as clean as I want I use a little light oil and a piece of 0000 steel wool to polish. So far I have not tried RenWax or any of the other Handle conditioners the guys have recommended but I'm sure someday I will.
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Question for all...

For the knives you have the original box for, do you store said knife in that box?

As of right now, and since I like to look and play with them a lot, shelving most of my knives separate from the box. Keeping the boxes in plastic bags and stored away in a drawer. My reasoning is, don't want to handle the boxes no more than I have to and cause unwanted wear. May be a problem down the road when my collection gets bigger and I can't remember what box goes with what knife tho. ::paranoid::
truck

Post by truck »

gwelker62 wrote:Question for all...

For the knives you have the original box for, do you store said knife in that box?
Only if it came in a display tin or similar "fancy" box. Standard cardboard boxes are stored in a bag separate from the knives, which are kept in rolls.
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Boxes are stored in boxes. Let my kids worry about matching them up. I used to store them in plastic grocery bags but the flood of '06 destroyed the first batch, so.....................

Tins and presentation boxes are stored in the safe with the knives and the knives that came in them, inside the tins and presentation boxes.
Attachments
0225171109-1.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

I couldn't begin to calculate the hours I've spent thinking about, designing and building knife storage and display units. It'd have to be in the hundreds!

Here's a small sampling of just a few. Some of these I may have shown before, sorry for any duplication.

We started out with 4 of these 80's cassette/vcr storage cabinets. My wife designed 3 for jewelry and curios. I designed one for knives, each with a custom stand. I used modern ABS dvd/cd trays for the knives, each will hold 5 knives up to 4-1/4" long. The shelves in back for larger knives and/or boxes. The hotrod colors, red vinyl automotive trim and chrome lugnut pulls kind of appeal to my personal tastes.
4-cabinets.jpg
G-RW--Open-front-Cabinets.MG_1125.jpg
R-W-Interior-Tray-with-Knives.jpg
R-W2-Knobs.jpg
R-W2-Knobs.jpg (56.33 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
These were built using quartersawn white oak that we reclaimed from church pews that were at least 120 years old. We added vintage copper clad hardware and burgandy flocking to finish them off.
Large-QSRO-12-Drw-Jewelry-Box.jpg
Small-QSRO-3Drw-Box-Angled.Brwn.jpg
I'm pretty sure I've shown this one before, but here it is in a photo essay format that my wife used in one of her classes.
Pg-2-Knife-cabinet-For-Web.jpg
Not sure how many pics I can add, so I'll start another post.

WB
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Last ones for the time being, please excuse the mess around and on top of them, the "clubhouse" is in real need of a good spring cleaning.

This one is built from natural barn board, reclaimed from an early 1900's Kansas barn. The slanted shelves work great, not only for storage, but also display. The drawers below store larger knives and boxes/paperwork.
SANY0002.JPG
The one on the left started out as an old console tv. After gutting it, I added drawers and faced them with quilted birch. I later added the glass display on top for razors and other shaving memorabilia inherited from deceased family members, but it's consumed now with what-nots. The 4-drawer unit on top was something I picked up at a garage sale and it just happened to fit.

The cabinet on the right, I built from scratch using cherry wood and again, quilted birch to match the other. I was originally going to put a clock in the top opening, but I've accumulated way too much crap to use the space for such a frivolous purpose. :D
SANY0003.JPG
If I find pics of more I'll post 'em later.

WB
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Good job WB, those look great.
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Thanks doglegg!

WB
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Wow! :shock:
Those are all amazing, creative and beautiful ways to hold and display knives! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Golly gracious WB. You do beautiful work.
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Very much appreciated, fellas. ::handshake::

WB
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

I’ve been using the large 80 knife wooden c Risner boxes, a lot of dealers use them since they just fold
Out, they hold the knives well and seem well made.

Any horror stories with these?

I use ren wax and a preservative on my knives, wax on and wipe until it’s not visible

Return to “General Knife Discussion”