HOK Thread

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Lansky1

Re: HOK Thread

Post by Lansky1 »

truck wrote:Most of my collection could probably qualify for this thread. But here are three worn-out specimens that are very near and dear to me, a couple of Cases and a Ward's by Utica.

"near and dear to me" ... those knives have some serious use / mojo - gotta be a story or two there ... care to share ??
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
truck

Post by truck »

Lansky1 wrote:
truck wrote:Most of my collection could probably qualify for this thread. But here are three worn-out specimens that are very near and dear to me, a couple of Cases and a Ward's by Utica.

"near and dear to me" ... those knives have some serious use / mojo - gotta be a story or two there ... care to share ??
Both of the Cases belonged to family members who have passed on. No particular stories that I'm aware of, but I could never part with them.

The Ward's, on the other hand, was being carried by my dad the night he was arrested for, well, let's just say it was a fairly serious deal and leave it at that. Anyway, the arresting officers attempted to confiscate it, but my dad refused, knowing he would never see his knife again. He insisted that he'd only surrender it to my mother when she arrived the next morning. After that, no mere amount of money could pry it from me.
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

A couple more.

A Wilbert
A Cattaraugus
Attachments
DSCN5799.JPG
DSCN5800.JPG
DSCN5802.JPG
DSCN5803.JPG
Joe
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

You're blowing it out of the park Joe!
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, Paul. ::tu::
Love these big knives. ::nod::
Joe
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

truck wrote:
Lansky1 wrote:

Both of the Cases belonged to family members who have passed on. No particular stories that I'm aware of, but I could never part with them.

The Ward's, on the other hand, was being carried by my dad the night he was arrested for, well, let's just say it was a fairly serious deal and leave it at that. Anyway, the arresting officers attempted to confiscate it, but my dad refused, knowing he would never see his knife again. He insisted that he'd only surrender it to my mother when she arrived the next morning. After that, no mere amount of money could pry it from me.
Looking at the heavy wear on those knives and your attachment to them, I knew from your response there had to be a story - thanks for sharing ! I have a Boker stockman from the 50's that my dad brought back from Germany - same thing ... I don't use it, but will always keep it knowing it came back on the ship in his duffle bag ::tu::
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian »

I'm a sucker for an old traditional, now I'm not one to pick up old beat up traditional knives no matter the condition, I'm more likely to pick up a knife that;s rusty or has a broken blade on a multi blade or a chip missing from the scales. In retrospect though, as the pre 70s knives are becoming more scarce, parts are going to become scarce too, a knife parts pile might be a good idea.

If the knife has 2 outta 3, good blades,( good scales/poor/no walk and talk:: tight knife, good covers/broken blade) you get the idea, I'll buy it if the price is right. I've come across many knives that I had no idea what I had till I cleaned them up many years later. Here's one example of a knife I came across that was covered in eggshell white latex semi-gloss paint. It looked like the original owner dipped it into the paint can again and again like he was making a candle, it was barely discernible as a knife and for some reason I kept it.

One day I was cleaning out my pile of broken and abused blades and for some reason I needed to see if there was a tang stamp under all the rust and paint on this one. It was a little bare head jack with bone scales of some kind. I wish I had taken pics before the cleaning took place and I've promised myself that I'd take before/WIP pics when I do a restoration/cleaning from now on.

So after a day of picking and cleaning of the paint with dental picks I was able to find the nail nick and work the blades open eventually loosening the back springs. After all the paint was gone and I got the blades open I saw how bad the main blade was, it looked like the original owner had used the edge of the primary blade to lever open the lid on the can of paint. There were 3 big chips taken outta the edge, it looked like giant serrations but other than the chips, the paint and the piece of scale missing it was a really nice knife. I put some extra effort into cleaning this one, I cleaned and reprofiled the blades smoothing out the chips. In cleaning covers I found out the scales were beautifully worn and aged smooth bone with a warm patina that definitely reflected it's age. I was able to discern a tang stamp too, it said Graef & Schmidt Solingen Germany turned out to be a 60-80 y/o Barehead Jack in otherwise really knice and most certainly usable condition. After all, that's what I want in the end, a knife I can carry and use, this one just reeks of history and comes with a cool story ;) :).

So you've heard the backstory now here's the knife.
DSC_6264.JPG
DSC_6273.JPG
DSC_6277.JPG
Here's another one that was rescued with the Barehead Jack, a 1911-13 Union Knifeworks Moose I turned into a box cutter after regrinding a broken blade. This knife is so well made that at over 100 years old it's like brand new and cuts like a razor. I'd put it up against any equivalent custom today and carry it regularly especially to break down cardboard.
image3.jpeg
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That Union Knife Works, is a beauty.

Here's mine.
Attachments
IMG_3765.JPG
IMG_3766.JPG
Joe
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Great knives being shown everyone, and thanks for sharing the story madhungarian, great save!
Here is an old well used S&M sleeveboard whittler with one broken blade and two very well used blades...and some bone scales that I am very fond of...
Attachments
20170301_135220.jpg
20170301_135130.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice one, Mike. ::tu::
Joe

Return to “General Knife Discussion”