New to forum

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
gmanksu

New to forum

Post by gmanksu »

Hello. Just was searching for info on Schrade "Old Timers" USA made. I have several older stockmans that were in my family or given to me as gifts as a child. All are used in some fashion some more then others as they were using knives. The one in the best shape is one my dad carried and I would like to keep it in good shape to pass along one day, not so much as a collector but just the family value so to speak. Any to make a long story short in researching to try and find a good carrying stockman or sowbelly 3 blade, it is much to my dismay that it seems I can no longer find USA made knives for under the $40-50 range. I am not going to buy a import (China) so I was just wanting to know any recommendations for a good using knife that is American made in a Sowbelly or Stockman model sans Case. I tend to like the Schatt and Morgan or Queen Cutlery products at least from looking at online catalogs but don't think I could bring myself to use one of them, hate to mess up something that pretty or would you suggest to find a company you like buy one use it and take care of it, don't know that I would start collecting but would like to have a quality knife to use, guess I should have bought a stockpile of "Old Timers".
ea42

Post by ea42 »

gmanksu,

You can still find a huge selection of US made old timers on Ebay. The slightly used ones can be had at very reasonable prices if you do some searching. There are lots of unused new in box examples too, just make sure they're the US models (USA on tang)and not the Chinese versions. Eric
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

welcome gmanksu! i'm glad you found us. a good quality knife for personal use may cost a little more to begin with, but the quality will last. u.s knives can be had for $20 and up. finding one you really like is the important thing. a carry knife to me must have the qualities i look for in any tool i buy. learned a long time ago skimping on a tool usually had bad results. peruse our posts and look at some of the knives displayed. some are collectors and some are users. $70 to me is a lot of money but as an average price of most high quality u.s. knives. less on lunches, more for knives. :lol:
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
gmanksu

Thanks

Post by gmanksu »

I have been perusing ebay and have seen some of the "old timers" just didn't win the bidding on them and thought I should gather more information before I started bidding on other names that I wasn't really aware of to get a sense on values and good suggestions.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

You can find some info about Schrade on the Articles & Research button on the bar near the top of the page here on AAPK.
Here is a link to help: http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/sch ... /index.php
I listed most of the Schrade knives made in 1973 & later. It will give you an idea of some of the more recent models & what they sold for new & when they were last made.
If you are willing to buy a used knife, you can find many used Old Timers & Uncle Henry's on ebay for $25-$35 for some of the more common models. You can also find some of the more common & less popular models brand new at that price, usually without box or papers. Just be sure you look for the USA on the tang as Eric mentioned. If you don't see it.......don't buy.

I hope this helps, and please show us what you buy.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
marcinek

Post by marcinek »

Welcome, gmanksu!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”