For Folks Who Are New To Pocket Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: For Folks Who Are New To Pocket Knives

Post by jerryd6818 »

This is posted elsewhere in a thread of it's own by Scott (TripleF). I thought it also belonged here so let me quote Scott.

"I've had a number of requests on what I do.....so before I post this to my blog (with pics) I'll post it here.....

How To Remove Rust, Clean, Polish Old Knives

SHARPEN LAST!!!!!!! (I’ve broken this rule too many times - lol)

NEVER….EVER…...EVER…….us hand-held power tools to grind…….if a slip occurs you’ll possibly hurt yourself but more importantly (because you’ll heal - lol) you can put a brutal grind scratch/mark in the blade, and there is no resurrecting that knife then!

What you’ll need:
WD-40
Fine Steel Wool
Flitz Metal Polish
Varying grits of sandpaper from 100 to 2500
Quick Release Oil
Magic Eraser ( kinda like a mild sandpaper in a block form - most of the time I forgot to use it).
HULK LOAD ELBOW GREASE

Assess the discoloration…..Try and avoid using sandpaper if at all possible to make an old knife shiny again.

BASIC 15 MINUTE KNIFE CLEAN/POLISH

The knife originally had light rust appearing. I rubbed with fine steel wool. Touched certain areas with #2 pencil lead, then hit with steel wool, then finished with a Flitz Metal Polish rub down on the knife’s blades and bolsters.

This process leaves the patina (stained steel) pretty much intact and helps the knife maintain its “aged” look. Took me all of 15 minutes to accomplish this 3-step polishing/cleaning process.

In addition I force a rag between the liners to clean the inner parts of the knife, then add a drop of Quick Release Oil to each blade tang.

DONE. Not shiny, but restored to solid working condition. (Most knife collectors who use their knives prefer patina.)

SHINY SELLS!! (If you resell, shiny always drives a better price)

SHINY RESTORED KNIFE - HOW TO

If the knife cleaning/polishing/restoring is ok with what’s above, then read no more…...if not however, you’ll need some sandpaper (wet or dry) and Hulk loads of elbow grease to bring your vintage knife to an epic shine!

Couple things to remember before you get too deep in the restoring process….

1). Sand tang areas first. Why? Because, if you’ve finished polishing the blade then still have to polish the tang, you’ll end up with scratch marks on the blade you just finished.

2). Work on a flat surface (That way you can see the imperfections in the blade as you sand - I was amazed how many knife blades are not perfectly even).

SHINING THE POCKET KNIFE:
Clean inner with cloth and Dawn soap. If rust and stains remain use light grit (200 or 300) to clean the liners and springs. I take a pair of tweezers
and manipulate the sandpaper back and forth till all rust is removed.

POLISHING KNIFE BLADES:
Start at heavy grit 100 and work your way up to 2500. Each time you move to another sandpaper grit try and obtain a reflection in the blade so you can see yourself…..kind of hard to do with 100 grit.

This the the ELBOW GREASE SECTION!!!

Using the sandpaper remember- Up, down. Left, Right. Mostly I go left, right strokes a few dozen times, then up/down strokes a few dozen times. What you want to try and avoid is making deep groves by stroking the knife blade ONLY left and right vigorously on the sand paper. Mix it up. Left right…...up, down. Do each way 20 times, then repeat until you're beginning to see a shine! :-)

After you begin to see a reflection, move to the next grit. From 100 grit to 200, then to 300, 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500. Repeat the above sanding steps until you can see what color your eyeballs are!

BOLSTERS:
Same process as polishing the blades, but usually (not always) the bolsters are not as bad, but if they are…...just repeat above.
SPRINGS, LINERS:
Same process as above.

FINALLY:
When polishing/restoring shine to your old vintage knife, polish with Flitz Metal Polish and a polishing cloth. Then oil your blades with mineral oil, and drop a drop of Quick Release Oil into each blade at the joint (tang/bolser area).

Keep in mind, this is not thee “:WORD” on obtaining a perfect mirror finish. Practice on a crap knife….and get a feel for what you’re into. Experiment.
I’m just sharing what I’ve done.

P.S. - I am trying rouge as a polishing step at the end and it seems to work well on the bolsters especially. (I have a green rouge and a burgundy).

NOW, Sharpen your knife. Trust me, I’ve sharpened too many blades early only to cut myself while polishing!!

Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
melton714

Post by melton714 »

jerryd6818 wrote:This video is a 19 minute introduction to pocket knives and the terminology you will see folks on the forum using when talking about their pocket knives.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keuRiJrNqGI[/youtube]
to jerryd6818 Im new to this site just learning how to use it. But I'm in a rush for an answer to this one so I hope I'm not braking any rules trying to ask you a question. I just got a 1974 elephant toe in excellent condition. It has the elephant etched on the blade.I seen many on e bay the ones with no elephant seemed to be called sunfish. Can you tell me if that's correct and which is the more desirable knife.I tried to go to the video but couldn't find it an I have to get to work.melton714
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thank goodness for the edit feature.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

From what I understand they are one in the same. Welcome to the site melton714!!
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Gary, watch the video and you'll discover the difference is the profile of the frame (Shades of Wharncliffe).

melton714 -- I think I'd be safe in saying any preference of one over the other is simply personal. I know they can be expensive buggers.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
melton714

Post by melton714 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Gary, watch the video and you'll discover the difference is the profile of the frame (Shades of Wharncliffe).

melton714 -- I think I'd be safe in saying any preference of one over the other is simply personal. I know they can be expensive buggers.
I'm trying to go to the video for beginners but I have to go to work,. My elephant toe is a 1974 case and I didn't see any like you had . does the elephant etched on the blade mean anything special?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Nah, the etch is just decoration.

I only have one I bought by accident. I don't know where my head was because I'm not a fan of either of the patterns. It's a Schatt & Morgan Baby Sunfish. I decided to keep it to scratch my one of everything itch. The shield is inlaid pearl. Very well done.
Attachments
S&M 142 265 Baby Sunfish 2002 - Open Mark.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
wlf

Post by wlf »

I'm hesitant to believe all of that gentleman's video,not saying he's wrong,but I'll wait to ask Roger(peanut). He's a collector of this pattern one of the knowledgeable members here on the subject.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

But Lyle. It's on the internet and you know you can't lie on the internet. :lol: :lol:

Edit: What is it that you find questionable?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
wlf

Post by wlf »

Jerry,I'm still lear'n, but I never heard before any difference in name or frame recognition. I'm not saying that there isn't,as apparently there now is to at least one guy,but traditionally I haven't heard it.

It could be a new way to differentiate, as me and you have both coined our own nomenclature. 1st generations , farmers whittlers, and rooster combs( to differentiate farmers jacks from the ones with flat blades and the secondary with the modified blade having a small spud. Although rooster combs was a readily accepted name for farmers jacks altogether before.). But we allowed we made these up,not as if they were traditionally known nomenclature.

We're in deep ,aint we.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Here. Give me a minute to get my boots on.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

From what I understand there is the traditional Toenail, a swell center Toenail and a Sunfish Toenail. Then again..........I have trouble understanding. ::tired::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHfBIJaPicE

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

gmusic wrote:From what I understand there is the traditional Toenail, a swell center Toenail and a Sunfish Toenail. Then again..........I have trouble understanding. ::tired::

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHfBIJaPicE[/youtube]

Gary, I think that video deserves to be the "official" Toenail/Sunfish video.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

Makes me think of Roger50/250 and Jonet143.

Our friends are getting a giggle out of this.........

Bill Price (CCBill)

wlf

Post by wlf »

One thing I regret about AAPK,is not joining sooner.

Lyle
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

[/quote] My elephant toe is a 1974 case and I didn't see any like you had . does the elephant etched on the blade mean anything special?[/quote]

I believe Case started putting the elephant etch on their toenails in 1974? (or 1973?) Older Case toenails did not have the elephant etch.
I personally prefer the term elephant toenail over sunfish, but that is just my preference.
Dan
Dan
melton714

Post by melton714 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Thank goodness for the edit feature.
Thanks jerryd I can't see any reason for anyone to like them. Frankly I think there ugly and can't see any reason for the shape.
melton714

Post by melton714 »

Being new to AAPK do we delete our own post or does the admin. do it? I don't want anyone having to wait for space and my last one Unknown Maker has been there for awhile.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

melton714 wrote:Being new to AAPK do we delete our own post or does the admin. do it? I don't want anyone having to wait for space and my last one Unknown Maker has been there for awhile.
Check out this thread on deleting posts ---- http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 98&t=48253
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
MTURBO

Post by MTURBO »

Great thread! I enjoyed reading it. ::tu::
melton714

Post by melton714 »

That was some very good information, for those of us who are new to knives period.
Thank a LOT Jerrry
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Here's a video first posted in another thread by Mitch Rapp. It's all about how Topps Knives (fixed blades) are made. About ten minutes long, I thought it was pretty interesting and also belonged here. Thanks Mitch.

If you have the time, the second video about Ernest Emerson is pretty good too. Also about ten minutes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQgVavawkvU[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jq8SqLfhm4[/youtube]
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Great vid Jerry and learned a lot.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Great vid Jerry and learned a lot.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A Pictoral Tour of Wilfred Works the Knife Shop of Tony Bose

Post by jerryd6818 »

I thought this would be interesting to some. Just click on the first picture to begin the tour.

http://boseknives.com/theworks.html
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”