Cattaraugus Junior Scout Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Cattaraugus Junior Scout Knife

Post by bestgear »

Did anyone see this knife on eBay last week:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCARCE-CATTARAU ... true&rt=nc

All of my references for Cattaraugus only show the octagonal shield on either a 3-blade or 4-blade version, none with a round Tenderfoot shield. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this knife before?
Attachments
Cattaraugus Cutlery Company Junior Scout Knife 1 of 2.jpg
Cattaraugus Cutlery Company Junior Scout Knife 2 of 2.jpg
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Cattaraugus Junior Scout Knife

Post by carrmillus »

......I've never seen one of these before, but I LIKE it!!!!.................... ::tu:: ...........................
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I like it too......on the 2nd picture there is a part of the liner that extends beyond the bolster........never seen that before either.

Curious little knife.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

ronfish
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by ronfish »

It is definitely NOT genuine. Cattaraugus only made 4 knives for the BSA, technically 2 styles, a 3 blade & a 4 blade model, but each had a version with and without a bail. All had the octagonal shield. Someone added this shield and on the "wrong side" I might add. Not to mention that it is a round shield, probably from an Ulster 1996, manufactured in the 60's & 70's. Neat knife but not official BSA and not factory made with that shield.
Ron

WARNING: Knife Addiction in Progress.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Exactly what my references show.....thanks for confirming Ronfish and for pointing out that the non-factory shield is on the wrong side. I couldn't make out the "faint etch" from the pictures but I've also never heard of an Official knife with an etch of "Cattaraugus Junior Scout". Would probably have been more valuable to a Cattaraugus collector without the non-factory round shield but everyone has their own idea on what's valuable.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I like that knife, but there's no way I would ever spend that much on it. It's probably worth it, but you all know what I spend on knives ::nod::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Seems fishy to me ::shrug::
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Definatly not the right shield . Should have a small compass in that hole .
22899jrC . Last 3 pattern digits should be JRC which stands for junior and compass .
Not an official knife . the protruding end of the middle liner is a flat head screw driver .
Cool rare knife
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I have 3 of them with a compass, and this one probably had one.I had one without a compass or shield, and it was etched Cattaraugus Junior Scout.I have a couple Maher & Grosh reprint catalogs that have ca.dates of 1900 and 1908.that show a similar knife with a crest shield, calling it No.2 B.S.with "Little Giant Can Opener"all for the very low price of 6 for $2.50.
Roger
daddynewton

Post by daddynewton »

I don't know anything other than I liked the knife when I saw it. Here is mine which has an extended liner also.
Attachments
100_2908.JPG
100_2909.JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

*edit

Voyles has a 22899-JR Scout that looks just like daddynewton's with a bail. 3" closed.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Not my bailiwick and I definitely cannot speak to the presence of this or that shield, but I have seen that pattern knife before. I do not recall how many, if any claimed to be official BSA knives.

I look at every new Ebay listing, everyday, in the pre-1970 folding knife category.

That is, at least, the fourth such listing I've seen in the past eighteen to twenty-four months.

Not saying they were all different knives, but that's how many times such a knife has been listed in fairly recent times.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
ronfish
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by ronfish »

peanut740 wrote:I have 3 of them with a compass, and this one probably had one.I had one without a compass or shield, and it was etched Cattaraugus Junior Scout.I have a couple Maher & Grosh reprint catalogs that have ca.dates of 1900 and 1908.that show a similar knife with a crest shield, calling it No.2 B.S.with "Little Giant Can Opener"all for the very low price of 6 for $2.50.
Are the compasses on your artifacts on the "back" scale like that? In my experience compasses and shields are typically on the scale where they would be visible/usable for right handed operation. That would be a very small compass based on the that style of BSA shield being 8-9mm? I am not expert in this style of knife, just under the impression that someone took liberties and actually drilled the scale to fit the shield. Perhaps not?
Ron

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

...and this is why I love you guys at AAPK - you are ALL a wealth of knowledge and information.

My conclusion is that while this a darling knife, it isn't an official BSA issued knife because:
- the round tenderfoot shield was used much later than the circa 1920-1941 era of the knife
- the Cattaraugus #22899 didn't appear to have a bail
- the hole in the handle was most likely for a compass and when reassembled they were installed on the wrong side of the knife

I know I have a few Scout knives in my collection that weren't officially issued by the BSA but I still enjoy them for their unique handles or file-work but would never pass them off as BSA issued. After re-reading the sellers auction description the words "official" and "BSA" were never used but the shield is certainly not on the "front" of the knife.

Tom
Tom
AAPK Administrator

peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Yes they are on what I would consider the back scale.Here they are.
Attachments
20140826_204436-1.jpg
Roger
ronfish
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by ronfish »

Very Interesting and nice knives! I have to agree that someone added the shield where he compass used to be.
Ron

cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Why the extended Liner though?.. ::hmm::
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

It`s a screwdriver ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Really?..hmmmm

Return to “General Knife Discussion”