knife cleaning/polishing/restoring

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
alvisw3

knife cleaning/polishing/restoring

Post by alvisw3 »

Hello!
I'm brand new to AAPK and fairly new to knife collecting. I'd like some references from anyone who knows of a good polishing/cleaning/restoration service for those knives I own that I shouldn't "experiment" on. I've been asking around, but haven't had any luck so far. Any suggestions?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: knife cleaning/polishing/restoring

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. Sorry I can't answer your question.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
outofplace

Post by outofplace »

Welcome!
Try Muskrat Man Knives on this site.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Sounds like you have been already alerted to not cleaning all the value out of old knives. I've been collecting for about 20 years and in the beginning I turned some $5 knives into $2 knives. Thank goodness I didn't screw up any $1000 ones. I have seen too many tables full of shiney old "buffed" clean knives that used to be really nice examples of old craftsmanship. I clean the rust and dirt off with a good metal polish and try not to over-do that. Some of the metal polish's have some oil and waxes in them that give old stag a little relief from being too dry. I like Wenol that I purchase on line. I've seen others at gun shows and they seem to do the same thing. I believe one was called Metal-glow or something like that. Sorry I can't help you with a name for actual repairs but they're are a few around that do a good job.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Flitz Metal Polish, Flitz cloth and some elbow grease......
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Depends on the degree you want to take them to.

1.) Scrub active rust with a lead pencil. Gentle yet effective.

2.) If it still doesn't suit you, scrub the blades down with 4-0 steel wool. (more gentle than it sounds)

3.) If you want to take it one step farther, polish with Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish (available at any good automotive store or maybe even Wal-Mart) or Flitz as TripleF suggested or Simichrome or Brasso or Nevr-Dull or Wenol, etc, etc.

4.) To make it look like new, seek out a professional and send it in for "the spa treatment".
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
alvisw3

Post by alvisw3 »

Thanks to all for your replies. To djknife in particular, yes, I do see the value in an unmolested vintage piece. For those of you who watch "Pawn Stars", I've been known to yell at my TV when Rick Harrison seems to always trot out the line: "people want these things restored". On some items that may well be. But on a '33 Plymouth that's a one-owner car, NO!! But, I digress. I have a couple of nice vintage pieces that would benefit from a restoration, as the blade condition (appearance, not fullness) is really their only issue. I already have acquired the Flitz kit, some other cleaners/polishes, and am considering picking up a Dreml tool and some polishing heads for those projects that really don't have much value if they're not cleaned up. Since the original posting I've been contacted by a retired knifesmith who worked for a very major American knife company and may be willing to take on some work for me. I emailed Muskrat Man and discovered that he's way backed up. Any opinions as far as taking off the "peppering" that celluloid knives sometimes get? Candy Stripers are a focus of my collection. (I plan on reading the article about celluloid knives; just haven't had time yet). Thanks again, everybody!
reddirtknives
Location: Okrahoma where the wind comes sreeping down the prain

Post by reddirtknives »

Enjoy the read if you can. It may cause you to panic. It sounds like you may already have a few off gassing. If you have them in rolls or plastic bags or any airtight container or situation you'll want to get them into the open air and find the culprit or culprits.It seems like they can have the domino effect. I open all the blades as panic free as I can, set them on top of a safe, flat, open area away from heat, direct sunlight, chemicals of any kind and go from there. Best of luck. I hate to see those candy stripes go off. It's better to save the knife by popping off the handles when you are sure which ones are gassing. With the knives effected and determined stable I would go with something close to Jerry's methods. Although they do make those little sanding drums for the dremel ::paranoid:: ::uc:: NOOOOO!!!! Don't even think about it!!!! ::facepalm::
DJ Red Tater Tip ~ Killer of Threads, Solo Pioneer in The Intergalactic Cutlery Trade
... ... `.~ RED DIRT KNIVES ~.` ... ...
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

If dremeling celluloid I'd certainly wear some sort of breathing safety apparatus, actually I wouldn't do it.

If celluloid scales are decomposing it's best to remove them....
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Ramrod

Post by Ramrod »

Howdy and welcome!
Definately take time to read the articles on celluloid.
Candy stripes can be some of the most volatile.
Good luck. ::tu::
Mark
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Read the articles on celluloid, it can be scary stuff!
http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/celluloid_02.html

Also there is a good article in the August 2014 Knife World Magazine on celluloid: more about the history and how it was made.
Not much on how to care for it or what to do when it starts to off gas.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Knife Discussion”