Austrian Deer Foot Folders...........

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
knife7knut

Austrian Deer Foot Folders...........

Post by knife7knut »

During my photography session tonight I came across my small collection of deer foot folding knives.There isn't a whole lot of information out there about them,but I thought they might be interesting to post. Feel free to post any you might own. I also have several fixed blade deer foot knives but I haven't gotten to them yet.
There are 3 of these here that conceivably could have been made by the same company with only small differences in design.
The first is stamped Penn Cutlery Co and features the Italian stiletto style lock requiring you to lift the lock with a fingernail.It has a corkscrew on the spine.According to BRL this company was located in Tideoute PA circa 1914 and that is it.The rear of the knife has a nickel silver cover resembling a horseshoe.
Second is a smaller unmarked version with no crossguard or horseshoe;has brass bolsters on the front only;a corkscrew and a top lever that lifts the backspring to unlock the blade.
Third is another crossguard model that unlocks by pushing down on a protrusion on the back of the knife. It is stamped,"U K & R Co Montreal" on the mark side and on the opposite "Forged steel No.82147.1".It does not have a corkscrew.I am assuming that this is made by the Union Knife & Razor Co.
Fourth is one marked "A.W.Wadsworth Austria" and has the horseshoe,a corkscrew,and an unusual shaped lock release that is hollow in the middle and fits around the cross guard.
Fifth is another smaller one marked,"F.Westphal Austria" and has a fancy front bolster with a stag on it and an unusually shaped folding guard.
Last is another crossguard model with no corkscrew and the rear lock release marked simply"Austria".
The scales are in various degrees of degradation i.e.:losing hair;worm holes in the hooves;dewclaws broken.
Anyway that is my collection of them;hope you enjoy them and feel free to comment or post any you might have.
Attachments
DeerFootKnives1 013.jpg
DeerFootKnives1 001.jpg
DeerFootKnives1 002.jpg
DeerFootKnives1 003.jpg
DeerFootKnives1 004.jpg
DeerFootKnives1 005.jpg
DeerFootKnives1 006.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Austrian Deer Foot Folders...........

Post by thegreedygulo »

Henry Boker's Improved Cutlery circa. 1860 - 1880.
Attachments
119-1998_IMG.JPG
119-1997_IMG.JPG
119-1996_IMG.JPG
120-2001_IMG.JPG
120-2002_IMG.JPG
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

these deer feet knives were still being offered by many european makers in the 70s. alot came from germany.--HiPower
HiPower
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

I have a Wadsworth-Austria I'll post once I find it. Still in pretty good shape considering it's age.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I have several of these as well, only trouble is, beetle larvae loves eating them!
AAPK Janitor
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Miller Bro`s wrote:I have several of these as well, only trouble is, beetle larvae loves eating them!
That's for sure Dimitri.Several of mine were damaged by those pesky buggers.I used hot glue to fill in the areas and it matches pretty well in texture of the hoof part.All I have to do now is color it a bit.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I have never seen those before, knife7knut. An interesting kind of knife for sure, but maybe just a bit too organic for me! I do not want to slice my apple with a knife that has beetle larvae in it. If I ever find one at a gun and knife show I will be sure o check it for hoof holes before buying.
Mel
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

And here are a couple of fixed blades.
Attachments
DeerFootFixedBlades 001.jpg
FrenchDeerFootDagger1.jpg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”