Harvest Time Knives!!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Harvest Time Knives!!

Post by jerryd6818 »

I only have the one plant and I just noticed some damned critter has gnawed on a couple of low hangers, one pretty ripe and the other green. Will squirrels eat tomatoes?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I do not know for sure if squirrels will eat tomatoes, but it seems that just about every living organism in my area makes a bee line for any tomatoes that I try to grow.

Do you have raccoons? A few weeks ago I was awakened about 1:00 A.M. by a thumping on my roof. It was repeated a couple of times so I went out to see what was going on. One of my pear trees has a branch that hangs over our bedroom, and a raccoon was on that branch eating pears and dislodging a few in the process. He was so cute that I did not even have the heart to shoot him!
Mel
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dinadan wrote:Do you have raccoons?
Yes. I have coons and didn't even think about the bastards until you mentioned 'em. Shoot the begger Dan. Blow his miserable brains out. They're a nasty pest and clever at that. Besides they carry fleas by the truck load.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I always loose a few low hanging tomatoes to some mysterious gnawing creature. My chief suspect is a rabbit. I have had coons visit my corn but I don't think they are who gnaw my tomatoes.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

I hear ya guys....I too have fallen prey to the mysterious "Low Hanging Tomato Muncher". Some of mine are actually hollowed out! Odd thing is I have a cherry tomato plant that sprawls all over the ground and nothing bothers those. I guess the LHTM only likes the plumpers.... :lol:
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Sounds like you guys have the dreaded tomato horn worm ::nod::

http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-a ... -hornworms

These things are disgusting and can ruin your tomato plants and will eat the tomato as well.

They are hard to spot as they blend in so well but when you find them you will never forget what they look like they are so ugly! ::disgust:: ::barf::
AAPK Janitor
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

I used catch these things as a boy and play with them.

My dad used a lid off a container and poured a little beer
in it and placed it under the tobacco plants. The "caterpillers"
prefered the beer to the tobacco plants! Guess they like the beer
as much as I do! :mrgreen:

Joe
Attachments
hornworm-300.jpg
hornworm-300.jpg (25.79 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Joe,

we use to catch them when I was a kid and put them in a can of lighter fluid and set them on fire they actually make a "screaming" sound when set on fire ::uc:: ::facepalm::
AAPK Janitor
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

So do I, D! :lol:

Joe
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

:lol: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Used the Old Timer today to help harvest some onions and tomatoes....
P1000581.JPG
P1000583.JPG
Attachments
P1000578.JPG
Mike

junebug

Post by junebug »

8) ::tu:: ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
dma1965

Post by dma1965 »

I enjoyed harvesting a nice crop of almonds from my almond tree. Here is a basket with my Winchester large congress knife.
Attachments
Harvesting almonds in Northern California with my Winchester large congress knife.
Harvesting almonds in Northern California with my Winchester large congress knife.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Great pic, the knife even matches the almonds! ::tu:: Don't think I've ever seen a serrated sheepsfoot blade before either, very cool!
Mike

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

dma1965 wrote:I enjoyed harvesting a nice crop of almonds from my almond tree. Here is a basket with my Winchester large congress knife.

I'm guessing you're not from Kentucky. :mrgreen:

Good looking knife!
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
dma1965

Post by dma1965 »

313 Mike wrote:Great pic, the knife even matches the almonds! ::tu:: Don't think I've ever seen a serrated sheepsfoot blade before either, very cool!
Actually I serrated it myself. Pretty easy to do. It had the typical redundant blades found on most congress knives, so I serrated one sheepsfoot, and reprofiled one pen blade into a whittling blade. The knife originally had celluloid scales in it that gassed out and someone in Georgia re-handled it in some stag sheds he found in the woods. It was a sort of dirty white when I got it, so I torched the stag to give it some color. It has become my favorite utility knife.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

313 Mike wrote:Don't think I've ever seen a serrated sheepsfoot blade before either, very cool!

Mike, as a Schrade aficionado I thought you would know the 89OT has a serrated sheepfoot blade. :wink:

Schrade 89OT b.jpg
Schrade 89OT c.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

dma1965 wrote:
313 Mike wrote:Great pic, the knife even matches the almonds! ::tu:: Don't think I've ever seen a serrated sheepsfoot blade before either, very cool!
Actually I serrated it myself. Pretty easy to do. It had the typical redundant blades found on most congress knives, so I serrated one sheepsfoot, and reprofiled one pen blade into a whittling blade. The knife originally had celluloid scales in it that gassed out and someone in Georgia re-handled it in some stag sheds he found in the woods. It was a sort of dirty white when I got it, so I torched the stag to give it some color. It has become my favorite utility knife.
Great photo, great story! I have never harvested almonds; I am guessing that they do not just fall off the tree like pecans.
Mel
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

My Japanese Persimmons are starting to ripen. This one is not full colored: a little cool snap would help with that.
Attachments
Case _Persimmon_Seahorse.jpg
Mel
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Dale you are right of course... ::dang:: The Schrade 89OT slipped my mind! Perhaps that is because I have never owned one...might have to look into changing that though, looks like a great knife. ::nod::

dinadan, I must admit to having never seen or sampled a Japanese persimmon before...looks interesting! Perhaps you could post a pic of what the inside looks like?

Sorry no knife in this pic, but Sofia and I planted these sunflowers together in spring..and they have just about maxed out on height I think...
P1000576.JPG
We will save the seeds and use them in the bird feeders
Mike

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Wow Mike ! Those sunflowers are skyscrapers!

I hope you plan on harvesting all those seeds and feeding them to our feathered friends this coming winter.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Boy oh boy! Those are some tall sunflowers! We planted sunflowers in a small field for several years just to look them. We got the seed in a 50# bag from the feed store, they weren't certified seed, but they did germinate and make a pretty sight to see. They weren't near as tall as what Mike and Miss Soffia grew. We would leave them standing and the birds helped themselves to the seeds for several months. We used a planter and had them in 3 foot rows but didn't cultivate them, so a lot of weeds and grass grew with them. Couldn't find a picture of the field when they were in full bloom, but here is a picture of when they 1st started blooming and one of a flower and a honey bee.
Treefarmer
Attachments
9-3-09 1101am.jpg
9-3-09 1059 am.jpg

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Mike - those are the biggest sunflower plants I have ever seen! Some years I have grown a few sunflower plants just ... because. And I feed sunflower seed to the birds and of course there are volunteer plants that I occasionally allow to mature. I have never had sunflowers over about six feet tall: just how tall are those?
Mel
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Dinadan wrote:Mike - those are the biggest sunflower plants I have ever seen! Some years I have grown a few sunflower plants just ... because. And I feed sunflower seed to the birds and of course there are volunteer plants that I occasionally allow to mature. I have never had sunflowers over about six feet tall: just how tall are those?
Well, I can't say exactly how tall they are, but I'm 6 ' 2" myself, and they tower over my head...I would have to guess they are close to 10 feet tall or so....and yep, all the seeds are going to our feathered friends.
Mike

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Heerrreee'ss Mikey.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT9x_1VV-ck[/youtube]
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”