To EDC or not to EDC, that is the question. Why or not?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
zp4ja

To EDC or not to EDC, that is the question. Why or not?

Post by zp4ja »

Just curious how everyone decides which knives (if any) in their collection, accumulation or whatever that they will EDC or rotate into their EDCs. Please include the why and why not's.

Too many variables to list as far as this question so we will see where this takes us. I will weigh in later.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: To EDC or not to EDC, that is the question. Why or not?

Post by TripleF »

Rule #1 - Don't leave home without my VIC SAK Classic (and keep at least one extra at home in case I lose the one in my pocket). Many, many uses, especially the toothpick!

Rule #2 - I must have a knife clipped on my strong side (right) pocket. I'd prefer it to be an assisted open, preferably Kershaw, of some sort. I love the thought of knowing within a second I can have a knife ready to roll.........

Ruke #3 - I usually carry a knife in my belt sheath. Could be a scout/utility knife, which it is now, or it could be the knife I'm reviewing, or it could be something to show and tell my friends about. If I'm out with my grandsons I carry a scout/utility - they love to look at all the blades.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I own many previously owned/used knives - I'll EDC just about any of them. When I buy a NOS knife now (for my collection) I normally leave it in unused condition. My favorite knives to buy are used ones in excellent condition - I can collect and use those knives. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I love pocket knives. Most of all I like packing my pocket knives. I do have a couple of nicer knives, but nothing that's going to fund my boy's college funds!

My rule is if I own it, paid my money for it, I'm going to enjoy it. And for me that means sharpening it up real good and packing it.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I came to the conclusion a while back that a used knife is more enjoyable to me than a new knife. Don't get me wrong, I love a brand new knife, complete with paper work and a wrapper, and I have bought and been given quite a few and they most all remain just like they were when I took possession, NIB. Just a very few have become EDCs, but a good used knife can be cleaned, sharpened , stuck in your pocket and used with much satisfaction, not worrying about scratches, dings, etc...All that said, makes me collector, gatherer and user. Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
pinnah

Post by pinnah »

I'm close to TripleF's position.

I don't leave home without a Leatherman Micra in my LFP. I don't carry keys on my person, as a rule, so keeping a mini-tool on my key ring doesn't help me at all. If I need to stop what I'm doing to look for my keys, I might as well look for a proper screw driver. Added to this, who wants to use a mini tool with a key ring attached to it? Ugg. The Micra is tiny and rides unnoticed with my money clip. The shears rock. I've busted more Vic Classics than I can count and have never come close to wrecking a Micra. It's just an amazingly functional tool. My most commonly given gift.

edc-pairing by Pinnah, on Flickr

In my RFP, I carry what ever knife makes me happy. It can change. Mostly it's an Opinel. Light. Insanely rugged. Sheeple friendly. But it could be a Buck or a Schrade.

I only have a few knives that don't get carried commonly. My Buck 110 is heavy. Why carry it when an Opinel 10 is lighter and tougher? I don't carry my Ulster camper any more. The Micra is more useful and the Ulster's blades are prone to wobbling. I keep these knives for the memories but they are out of the EDC rotation.

I don't collect, really. So, I may be in the minority with respect to the struggle between safe and pocket. I'll use any knife I own. Just have preferences among them.
Dave "Pinnah" Mann, Bahston, MA
Dave's Nordic Backcountry Skiing Page
jfourez

Post by jfourez »

I have been packin a case 62033 pen, it is small and now that I am retired that is the only tool I need. When I was working I liked to carry a case jack.
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

I usually carry a scout for the versatility.

This thread is interesting. I am currently rethinking my buying habits as far too few purchases end up in my pocket.
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Very interesting topic Jerry.

I tend to buy knives that are a good size to carry,but i have no intentions of ever carrying them ::facepalm:: WTH? That being said, I like my knives mint or close to it. I don't use a knife much anymore other than to cut a string or open a package that a new knife is in. I want to carry a knife that the F&F is great, after all, i do have to look at it after i take it out of my pocket ::dang::

Tim
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
Jigslinger

Post by Jigslinger »

I rotate about a dozen small penknives for everyday at work when I wear mostly khakis. On weekends or leisure time with BDUs or jeans I'll still carry a pen, but add a jack or medium stockman in my other pocket or in a belt sheath. Sometimes I'll have three knives on me at one time. I'm always mixing and matching and changing up what I carry just for fun of it. If I'm in the woods or fishing I'll usually add a fixed blade of around 4 inches to the lineup. As for what goes down as EDC vs. collecting, I will buy a knife specifically for carry and others just for show. I'll even carry a "collectible" every once in a while, but I make sure it gets only light use.
"A bad knife cuts one's finger instead of the stick."
big monk

Post by big monk »

I buy knives that I really like the looks of ::hmm:: and like Tim,most of them will never be carried, and I like the Mint/New ones that I sell/trade and collect-- ::dang:: I have them in displays all around the house, so I can look at them ( and more in the safe**)____The GEC's are my favorite,but buy others on impulse** I like the bigger GEC patterns #72,#73 ect. anything 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inches__I carry my 2010 AAPK Club Knife Ram's Horn#48 Traditional Trapper fishing with me (digs the vienas out of the can best !!!! :) )__rotate with my #72 Stag Lockback, Pearl Moki Pliant Lockback & Protech Brend Auto, to work,as they are ""EAZZZZY Openers"" and I cut lots of tape,boxes ect.__then carry my Custom Stag GEC #73 Trapper ,when I'm just going to be going ::shrug:: ____trying my best to put another in the rotation, but just can't make up my mind,which one to carry ???? ::dang:: ____for years,I carried a #5347 Case Stag Stockman,and nothing else ::hmm:: _____then I found AAPK ::paranoid:: been carrying all sorts of knives since ::ds:: ______good topic and answers by all****____Monk ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_0002.JPG
Rams Horn Trapper EDC & Safe Queen.JPG
Moki Pliant.jpg
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

I don't really have an EDC "rotation." I tend to carry the same basic 1-2 knives and add others to try out. This year I'm trying out the muskrat, for example.

What I do carry tends to have a frame around 4" long, with at least one blade of the "Turkish clip" or "California clip" pattern, though a good Wharnecliffe would work as well. Multiple-blade knives are usually of the trapper or slim stockman pattern. I've usually got a sodbuster or folding hunter around for heavier chores.

There are things I try to avoid. I don't like thick blades, or saber-ground blades, and seldom carry them. I won't carry a knife that takes two hands and a tool to open, or has blades that won't hold an edge.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm a boring guy. Same thing every day and no desire to change. One knife in my pocket and never carry the NIB knives. They're just because I like 'em. Carried a Schrade 108OT for years. Small knife but it did anything and everything I asked it to as long as I kept it sharp.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

I typically carry two knives, a traditional and a clipped one hand opener, and a multi/light on the belt. I have carried a Spyderco of some sort for almost 13 years, and Endura for the last 10, and specifically the same G-10 Endura 4 for the last 5. I have tried many others and given up on finding anything better for me.

This is, curiously, one of the things that got me more involved here. As I had found "the one" for modern carry, I turned my attention to my other pocket. ::woot::

I have come to prefer HOK's, as they can be used and cherished without worry, and I appreciate the life they have led previously. I still carry a few newer ones also.

What I have realized is, it usually takes me about 6mo at least to change over to something different. To that end, I have decided to carry a different (traditional) knife each day of the week next week, all ones I have carried before, just for something different.
TAB2you

Post by TAB2you »

I'm new to all this, just starting this past year. Before I became infected with the knife disease, I carried all my very small collection of users, from my dad or just one I bought thinking it was a nice knife. Since I started collecting, in a sense, I've got about 25 percent put up as safe queens, they're really neat knives to me and I'll display them sometime. Part of those are knives for my little ones, 3.5 yrs old and 1.5 yrs old, so that 25 percent is misleading, but true for now as they're too little for them, so they'll stay in safe for a bit. The others are all fair game for EDC or use. I've tried and tried to carry more than one pocket folder, and I always migrate back to one in my lfp. If I'm hunting/fishing/out of doors, there is one on my belt, only time I carry two. ::nod::

T
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

It's a hard thing for me to take a new knife and start carrying it. I've done it before and very likely I'll do it again somewhere down the road but it's not easy. I have a few knives that I've designated as my "user' knives, then I've got my collection. Many of my users came to me in less than pristine condition, showing wear and tear from their previous lives. Those are easy to put in the pocket and pack around. It's the new ones that are more vexing to my hoarding/collecting/preserving nature. I will say that on the rare occasion when I've mulled it over long and hard and finally decided to make a user out of a new, minty knife, I've never really regretted doing so. Still, I have no intention of ever using most of my knives.

Below are the ones that get pocket time.
The second picture shows the two that are with me 90% or more of the time.
Attachments
The knives I use
The knives I use
IMG_8493.JPG
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Big Barn

Post by Big Barn »

I've always carried some sort of EDC. Why - my grandfather & dad always said you need something to 1. write with, 2. light with (matches), and 3. fight with. I don't think either of them actually meant anything about fighting with a pocket knife - that's ridiculous. But it all does ryhme...
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

treefarmer wrote:I came to the conclusion a while back that a used knife is more enjoyable to me than a new knife. Don't get me wrong, I love a brand new knife, complete with paper work and a wrapper, and I have bought and been given quite a few and they most all remain just like they were when I took possession, NIB. Just a very few have become EDCs, but a good used knife can be cleaned, sharpened , stuck in your pocket and used with much satisfaction, not worrying about scratches, dings, etc...All that said, makes me collector, gatherer and user. Treefarmer
Ditto
At work I carry an old Utica equal end pen. It's a joy to feel in my pocket and a joy to look at. Perfect bone and a pinned shield. I reprofiled the tipped and worn blades and it came out hair popping sharp. The sad part is it was in my looser roll for about ten years.
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

My knives are like my guitars, I feel they don't come to life unless they are played with. Even with my nicest knives, I love it when I pull them out of my front pocket and they are warm...that's when I feel the real connection.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I buy em to use em,I carry em with PRIDE,At work I have one set of EDC's the rest of the week it's my pretty knives andI always have a AO or a flipper clipped in the left pocket...
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Ausgebombt

Post by Ausgebombt »

I carry every single knife I own. Whether its a Case, GEC, some off brand turd, Rough Rider, old beat up buck... they all have their place. No, my Case raindrop-damascus, stag canoe does not go with me to work but I do carry it on social outings, use it in my studio, and for other small tasks. I just spent $65 on the GEC Sawyer Barlow instead of $10 on a walmart turd because the 50 or more years this thing will last me means $65 now is just an advanced payment of a little over $1 a year for those 50 years.... whereas a $10 walmart knife that will only last maybe a year ends up costing $500 dollars in 50 years if you are buying one a year. My knives are investments.... but only in the sense that I wont have to replace them for a long long time. The only return I expect are some good stories, a few scratches, a couple scars, and a life made easier by the companion of man's greatest tool.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Very interesting and diverse views as far as carry criteria and collection criteria. I respect all views as it is obvious we all love knives and choose to do different things with different ones. Use them all, put away and use others selectively, etc.

Here is how I roll...

I have only turned one of my collection knives into a EDC. A CASE XX Peanut with yellow comp handles that are starting to degrade. Knife is perfect (no gas on blades, etc at this point.

It took me ten months to choose that one as my first EDC from my collection. I love that knife and it goes in my jeans coin pocket everywhere. How I view it is that this knife is no longer part of my collection, but a knife I carry/own/use. I have a BUCK 112 from my Dad that I carry that does all I need it to that is too much for the Peanut. Sheath or pocket is fine for the BUCK.

I handle my knives daily to admire, clean, maintain, research. etc. Not the same ones everyday of course. I can tell what they are capable of just by doing this. I would estimate that about roughly 80 to 90% of my knives are near mint with all the post 80' knives NIB (missing a few boxes). I just can't bring myself to put a near mint, not cleaned, carried or sharpened CASE XX that maybe 72 to 48 years old, in my pocket. Now it is carried and used in my book. Even the NIB post 80' knives, I could carry to try out different blades and patterns, but I like to have those NIB as gifts for friends and family and to fund buying the older near mint or rare CASE knives I want. The history of a knife means a great deal to me and I do my best to preserve and maintain them for future collectors, buyers and my heirs. If they want carry to them once they are theirs, that is their choice and I respect that and have no problem with it.

Here is an example, I have two CASE 1970 5375 Stockmans. Both not carried, used or sharpened. Some minor spider marks, fine scratches and specks
due to handling and lack of maintenance. Beautiful Stag!!! This is the last year (1970') CASE made the 5375 before reintroducing this year. Last year made means something to me as a collector. Can't bring my self to carry it as I prefer to preserve the condition as is. Beautiful knife, would love to carry it. Maybe I will who knows, if I change my mind.

Got a TESTED CASE 02221-1/2, near mint. The CASE 21-1/2 was only made in the TESTED in about 6 different blade configuration or handle types. It has an interesting sleeveboard/serpentine design, best as I can describe. Much different than most other patterns. Maybe why it was discontinued. My point being, can't see putting that one in my pocket to test out a different frame not matter how unique.

I certainly do appreciate a knife that is for sure. Have some EDC as I said, does all I need them to do, just don't EDC my "Collection".

Just how I do it for now. May change my mind based on this threads input. Part of the reason I started it. Appreciate all your input, interesting and respected views. To each his own. Interesting to hear everyone's take on this.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

I Have only one knife I use almost daily, I cannot carry it only due to its size, I have sheath for it but it would not be good business practice to come to work with it on my belt. Very much like Philco, its almost a criminal act for me to start using these pretty but still very useful tools. This one I do use was very difficult to start using, but then after a couple scratches its becomes easier. The only reason I choose this one is I was curious of how well it can stand the heavy usage in the long run. I have the Prototype of the same so I suppose its my escape, kinda like a wildcard.

I carry my old vintage ones based on my mood, but mostly just to have them in my pocket and carry around some history, although I would use if necessary.

Bonehead... :lol:
Attachments
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1038.JPG
Bonehead

America's 'FINEST' Vintage Cutlery
Ramrod

Post by Ramrod »

Lawrence wrote:My knives are like my guitars, I feel they don't come to life unless they are played with. Even with my nicest knives, I love it when I pull them out of my front pocket and they are warm...that's when I feel the real connection.
Lawrence,
Interesting take. ::tu::
Mark
Dave O

Post by Dave O »

I collect knives and am usually motivated to buy as good condition as possible No handle cracks , good walk and talk are very important. I like most of the blade still as it was originally shaped . I hate blade wobble . A little rust or pitting will be ok. That makes most of my knives already an EDC, as someone else loved, used and respected them. I sometimes have a hard time sharpening a vintage Remington or Robeson if they have never been used or sharpened. I have a William Henry that I would carry if I only could have one knife. It has all the requirements of a good cutting tool and the class you like to withdraw from your pocket to just gain satisfaction for your self even if it matters to no one else. I carried a new GEC recently ,and the blade got an immediate patina from something I used it on. I now do not have to baby it as it became an EDC overnight. I have some custom knives that I put in my safe, and they will stay there . Buster isn't around to make any more. I feel very insecure if for some reason I leave the house and do not have a sharp folder In my pocket. A quality knife adds to the quality of your life.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”