Very unusual John Primble knife - budding knife or what??

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
CTAYLORMAN

Very unusual John Primble knife - budding knife or what??

Post by CTAYLORMAN »

I just traded for this single bladed John Primble Belknap knife this past weekend. I have never seen anything like it. I "think" it is a budding knife but not sure. It measures 4 inches closed. The handles are all bone. There are no liners in this knife. Very unusual. Has anyone ever seen anything similar?[attachment=4]Ebay knives 030.JPG[/attachment][attachment=3]Ebay knives 034.JPG[/attachment][attachment=2]Ebay knives 035.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]Ebay knives 036.JPG[/attachment][attachment=0]Ebay knives 041.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
Front side
Front side
blade
blade
inside
inside
tang
tang
edgy46

Re: Very unusual John Primble knife - budding knife or what?

Post by edgy46 »

I agree it's a budding knife. Nice bone, an unusual find. ::tu:: ::tu::
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Yes, it`s a budding knife :wink:
AAPK Janitor
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

great work on a unique knife. i'm always amazed at what our members turn up.--HiPower
HiPower
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

So........ just two pins. ...........does the blade open softly?
The tail of the spring must move as the blade opens....no?
How is the spring held to account?
Joe
CTAYLORMAN

Post by CTAYLORMAN »

The blade is somewhat soft opening. I wouldn't go as far as saying it is "tight" but it is nice and snug with some snap opening and closing. The spring raises up and down when opening/closing but I am far from an expert on the inner workings of knives and have no idea on how the back spring works especially with this particular knife. I also wonder what the purpose is for the very thin end of the handle? It is basically flat. Someone did some great work with the bone on this knife. Also what "exactly" is a budding knife used for?
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Beautiful knife!!
I'm not real familiar with the horticulture industry, so i'm not sure what budding is. I've always refered to these as grafting knives.
If you've ever seen grafting done, the blade of course is used to cut a slit in the parent plant. (usually a tree or woody plant) The spatula end is used to help hold open the slit for inserting the graft.
As far as the backspring, I believe they simply leave an area of bone material under the back end of the spring. The spring seats against it. There is constant downward preasure from the center pin back and forwards, so the spring stays in place. If the backspring moves inwards while opening and closing, that would probably account for some of the soft snap.
Atleast that's my understanding of how they work and their intended use.

WB

P.S. someone told me once that these were often made from the end of stag tines. ::shrug::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”