Case tested red bone 6265? UPDATE---She's in SE LA

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
bamafan

Case tested red bone 6265? UPDATE---She's in SE LA

Post by bamafan »

Wanted to get some opinions on this one.

Even though ya don't see "red bone" tested listed in any of the knife guides, I've read that they are out there. Now, from what I see in this listing, it "appears" to be an authentic Case knife to me.

What y'all think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200709761345?ss ... 1423.l2649

===================================================================================================

Photos added by moderator
Attachments
Case Folding Hunter 1.jpg
Case Folding Hunter 2.jpg
Case Folding Hunter 3.jpg
Case Folding Hunter 4.jpg
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case tested red bone 6265??

Post by Knife Nut »

Though rare, there are tested red bone out there.
The seller's photos leave a lot to be desired.
May be authenic, but with those pictures I'm not bidding!

Paul
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Another knife that looks a little too pristine for my taste. It has to have at least been cleaned. Just my opinion, not mine, not bidding.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
dealraddy

Post by dealraddy »

I LOOKED AT HIS OTHER LISTING NOT ALOT IN THE KNIFE WAY JUST A FEW RUN OF THE MILL I WOULD LIKE TO COMPARE TO A MEMBERS TESTED HUNTER HERE IF SOME 1 HAS 1
WHEN I DIE THEIR WILL BE A CASEXX IN MY POCKET , A DIRITY KNIFE IS AS BAD AS DIRITY UNDERWARE AMEN
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Looks real to me from the pics. I have never seen a Tested 65 pattern in red bone.

In fact the only Tested red bone pattern that I have seen is the 6185, but that does not mean that this one is not real.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Here's a lil TEXAS rag.. (flat blade) LOL

and...........
i never herd of A red TESTED 65..

the end
Attachments
sat3 023.JPG
sat3 024.JPG
sat3 008.JPG
sat3 009.JPG
dealraddy

Post by dealraddy »

Well i have look at r members pic and the ebay listing and im with steve i,ve neever seen a red bone 65

but dam everything looks right the worm groove bolsters stamp , nail pick and shield and blades look right could it be a rare treasure can some one ask a case factory rep r historian about this ps the 1 thing i did notice is or example HAS A STAMP LONG C ON BOTH BLADES HIS DOES NOT HUMM
WHEN I DIE THEIR WILL BE A CASEXX IN MY POCKET , A DIRITY KNIFE IS AS BAD AS DIRITY UNDERWARE AMEN
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

If I had $300 that I didn't need, I'm afraid I'd have to drop it on that knife. I know, it looks almost too good to be true, but it looks right to me. After that, I'd send it to Steve and he could tell me if I screwed up or not. ::facepalm::

Would those scales be considered Rogers Bone? Just wondering?
timgreene48

Post by timgreene48 »

I agree with Elvis. If that is a fake, then all my 65s are fake as well. This pic is of my 6265 sab xx, but is strikingly similar. Iwould love to have it for my collection, wanna trade?
Attachments
IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1283.JPG
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Tim.. the knife in question is a TESTED... not an XX... big difference
in what CASE produced n sold....

Answer this question and you'll have yer answer
as to the validity of that TESTED..
Can the dye in bone last 90 years without fading a little
(especially at the bolsters)
A N D
have ya ever ever ever seen another red bone TESTED 65 ???

regards... Dave
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Whenever I see a Tested era knife with more than one blade stamped I think "old". Whenever I see a Tested era knife with a shield other than an oval shield, I think "old". Blister's knife has both of these characteristics, along with some great old green bone handles.

The subject knife, on the other hand, would most likely be one of the last of the Tested era knives, if it were made in the time frame that Case was beginning to use red bone, that is, the XX era. Note the shield on this knife. It looks more like an XX era tall "S" shield than a Tested era closed "C" shield.

Of course, I also suppose that the knife might have been rehandled in the XX era if Case did that sort of thing at the factory back then.
bamafan

Post by bamafan »

Elvis, I'm like you, almost too good to be true. In regards to the scales, I'd call em red jigged bone, not Rogers bone.

Can anyone tell me ifn a tested blade would fit correctly in an XX 65 frame? Or is there even a difference b/t a tested 65 frame & an XX 65 frame?

Msteele, that's an interesting idea as well. Seems possible I'd think.
timgreene48

Post by timgreene48 »

Dave, I am by no means an expert, but from what little I know, the high pull blade on my xx suggests that my knife was made early in the xx period. The knife in question could have been made late in the tested period, and overlapped in production. Again, I am no expert, just my opinion.
dealraddy

Post by dealraddy »

I MESSAGED THE SELLER ABOUT THESE QUESTIONS LETS SEE WHAT HE SAYS
:mrgreen:
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

It's possible that the knife could have been rehandled at the factory during the XX Era, but if Steve says it's possible, I'll settle for that. Also, I was fortunate enough to grow-up next door to one of the finest collection of Case Tested Knives possible. The owner sold them for the cheap price of $25K when he was 91 and he passed away just a couple of years ago at age 93. His father started the collection when he was just a lad and coated the blades with a light coat of grease and kept them in a display case that was never exposed to sunlight. So yes, I do believe the handles could look that good after all these years under those same conditions. That's why knives like that are so pricey. So few people took that good of care of them. So yeah, if I had a disposable $300, I'd bid, but it won't go that cheap imo.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I wish that seller put decent pictures up.

Yes Case would repair/rehandle knives at the factory just like they do today. It's possible that would explain this one but it looks like a mint knife. In that era a factory repair job would only be for a user knife with problems. In other words, it is unlikely that someone would have sent in a mint knife to have the handles replaces.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
dealraddy

Post by dealraddy »

OK I TALKED TO THE SELLER HE SAYS IT CAME FROM JIM SARGENT A VERY REPUTIABLE COLLECTOR AND HE SAYS HE HAS BEEN SELLING THESE FOR 45 YEARS AND THIS IS A LATE TESTED ERS KNIFE A SAYS HE HAS SEVERAL RARE ODDITIES IN THIS PATTERN FROM A LINERLOCK ON 1 TO MIS STAMPES AND SAYS THE HANDLE FITS PERFECT NOW PIN DAMAGE OR REPLACEMENT AND ITS 100 PERECENT REAL
bamafan

Post by bamafan »

Well, she's landed in SE LA. I've gotta get a good pic of the tang, but I got a couple good pics of the scales. Lets hear your opinions.
Attachments
IMG_0817.JPG
IMG_0822.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG
Tucool

Re: Case tested red bone 6265? UPDATE---She's in SE LA

Post by Tucool »

If I collected 6265's I'd be bidding against you ::nod:: I reckon it will be a $400 to $500 knife.
She sure is pretty.

Brett.
Brett.

West Aussie Case Collector.
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

The owner said that the knife came from Jim Sargent's collection? And Mr. Sargent doesn't list a red bone Tested 6265 in his price guide?

Something about that seems a little strange. At the very least that knife has been cleaned pretty much beyond identification, that stamping looks a little strange to me. I hope it's just my eyes.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I have never seen what I thought to be an authentic Case Tested era knife with red bone handles. Not saying that aren't out there but I initially consider any red bone on a Case Tested knife to be bogus. Look how many green bone XX era knives are out there that are 100% correct. Virtually every Case pattern that was available in bone for both Tested and XX era can be found in XX green bone. Given that why would you think that Case started using red bone in the Tested era?

The knife in this post has red bone with a jigging pattern that I would consider incorrect for either a tested or an early high pull XX blade 65 pattern XX knife. No disrespect intended but that is my basic understanding based on what I have seen.

Many things happened in the factories that can not be explained. Old parts used much later, knives sent in for repairs, knives slipped out the back door etc. Yes, these things surely did happen but there are far more purported knives of this type out there that are cobbled reworks than authentic factory knives.

I came across this AAPK post researching a knife currently on eBay. A Bill Boatman 6265SAB that has what I consider to be an earlier red bone jigging than that of the subject knife in this post. I look at this Boatman knife with some skepticism in that I believe the Boatman serrated blade could be newer than the bone on the knife. It would not be difficult to take an authentic serrated Boatman blade from a USA period authentic pakkawood knife and transplant it into an early XX 6265SAB frame. Sargent's 7th guide shows the USA pakkawood knife at $250 while the earlier XX red bone is priced at $550, a whopping $300 difference.

Does anyone know exactly when the serrated blade Boatman folding hunters were first produced? My understanding is sometime in the 1960's. I guesstimate this knife's bone jigging and high pull XX blade to predate the 60's. Does anyone have or know of an authentic Boatman with this type jigging? Take a look at this knife and let me know what you think. Does the XX stamped master blade look cleaned and buffed to you? Not that this particular seller has ever listed a bad knife but I do notice what appears to be a back side center pin crack that he may have missed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-XX-6265-5- ... 2ed5d83c16

Wayne
Attachments
bill boatman1.JPG
bill boatman2.jpg
bill boatman3.jpg
bill boatman4.jpg
bill boatman5.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Wayne;

The first folding hunters with the Bill Boatman etch were made in 1960.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Thanks Steve.

I believe the bone on this XX Boatman knife is from mid fifties or earlier. If that is correct it does not agree with the earliest production date for a Boatman to be 1960.

Years ago I had a CASE XX 5265 SAB that had a serrated blade that looked factory correct to me. I don't remember this variation knife being cataloged anywhere. I don't remember how the blade on this XX stag was stamped. The knife was worn at least to the point that any serrated blade etch that may have been there was gone. Steve does point out in his book that special order knives where fair game at Case. I guess that knife could have been a special order and legitimate but I am still skeptical about the Boatman in the pictures above.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “General Knife Discussion”