Are YCC and Sabre Japan the same company?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Gtrclktr-351

Are YCC and Sabre Japan the same company?

Post by Gtrclktr-351 »

I have a mid-60s orange pearloid melon tester, tang stamped YCC Japan. I have never seen another YCC melon tester, but mine looks exactly like a Sabre 677 from the same time period. This was the first knife I purchased while either in Jr. High or High School. My friends referred to it as a "Pig Sticker", which again I have never again heard the melon tester referred to that way. I know Rough Ryder produced one called a "Toad Sticker".
"One man's trash is another man's treasure"
cody6268

Re: Are YCC and Sabre Japan the same company?

Post by cody6268 »

Probably made by the same company in Japan, but I don't think they were the same company.

Sabre was a trademark of Cole International (who owned Kabar at the time), but I don't know about YCC.
Gtrclktr-351

Post by Gtrclktr-351 »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:22 pm Sabre was a trademark of Cole International (who owned Kabar at the time), but I don't know about YCC.
Thanks for the reply. There seems to be very little info on the YCC brand, and the other YCCs I've seen almost always look like Sabres.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I believe YCC is York Cutlery Company, circa 1950's-60's - maybe 70's? They were knife importers, similar to Frost. They and Cole International probably used the same Japanese manufacturers.

Eric
Gtrclktr-351

Post by Gtrclktr-351 »

ea42 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:52 am I believe YCC is York Cutlery Company, circa 1950's-60's - maybe 70's? They were knife importers, similar to Frost. They and Cole International probably used the same Japanese manufacturers.
Eric

Thanks Eric

Return to “General Knife Discussion”