Does this feature have a name ?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
OSCAR

Does this feature have a name ?

Post by OSCAR »

I am not sure what it’s called but I just noticed a seldom seen feature on one of my RRR’s. On some of my AG Russell traditional knives there is a pin inside the knife that prevents the sharpened edge from hitting the back spring when you close it. I just noticed it on my RRR denim micarta lockback. I will check my other RRR’s later today to see if they all have this feature.
Attachments
DAE83416-A235-4BCD-989A-CF11636A9678.png
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Does this feature have a name ?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Striker pin.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:20 pm Striker pin.

Ken
Thanks Ken. It’s a great feature that should be on every folder. Never knew what it is called (until now).
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Most blades have a kick on the tang that does the same thing no need for a striker pin.
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Serves the same function as the blade “kick” on a properly fitted knife. Given today’s dearth of skilled cutlers you’re probably right. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

A.G. Russell refers to that as a "Stop Pin".
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

philco wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:18 pm A.G. Russell refers to that as a "Stop Pin".
Thanks Phil.
I think it’s a great feature.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I may be totally wrong about this, but I have always believed that the striker (or stop) pin was designed for two purposes: 1) to prevent the blade edge from striking the back spring when the blade is closed (as has already been mentioned), and 2) to reduce the size of the kick so that it didn't have as much of a sharp corner sticking up when the blade was in the closed position (similar to what a sunken joint does in that regard).
~Q~
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I'll take a kick any day.
It gives you a very efficient option for future worn blades that expose the tip above the blade well.

Get your kicks .....
Joe
catspa

Post by catspa »

I’m with Joe.

Parker
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I'm a fan of the striker pin. In addition to eliminating blade rap, it also allows the tip to sit much farther drown inside the blade well because there is no kick extending past the edge.

I only have one photographic example but I have noticed that the blade tip sits very low in the blade well on knives that I've seen with striker pins.

In this example, and most that I've seen, it would be a very long time before the edge extended above the blade well when closed. So long that the blade would be a toothpick and it would be time for new knife anyway.

A kick does provide a method of adjustment if needed but a striker pin seems to eliminate the need altogether. In the unlikely even that the blade did need lowered, the indent where the striker pin contacts the blade could be filed just as easily as a kick.
Attachments
IMG_5610.JPG
IMG_5614.JPG
IMG_5612.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:11 pm I'm a fan of the striker pin. In addition to eliminating blade rap, it also allows the tip to sit much farther drown inside the blade well because there is no kick extending past the edge.

I only have one photographic example but I have noticed that the blade tip sits very low in the blade well on knives that I've seen with striker pins.

In this example, and most that I've seen, it would be a very long time before the edge extended above the blade well when closed. So long that the blade would be a toothpick and it would be time for new knife anyway.

A kick does provide a method of adjustment if needed but a striker pin seems to eliminate the need altogether. In the unlikely even that the blade did need lowered, the indent where the striker pin contacts the blade could be filed just as easily as a kick.
Railsplitter, that’s a good point you make. Also, that’s a great looking AG Russell in the photo.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:11 pm I only have one photographic example but I have noticed that the blade tip sits very low in the blade well on knives that I've seen with striker pins.
I see what you mean to an extent but wouldn’t blade shape vs handle sharp have a lot to do with how deep it sits in the blade well as well? At the end of the day the method of how the stop is achieved doesn’t affect where the stop point is does it, you just eliminate the tang having a kick.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I think I understand what you're saying and I agree that the shape of the blade and handle play a role here also.

I do think that the stopping point is lower on a knife with a striker pin. I wish I had better examples but in this photo you can imagine if the knife had a kick instead of a striker pin. The striker pin contacts the blade at the point that the arrow points to. If the same knife/blade assembly had a kick instead, the blade would be forced to sit higher in the blade well because the kick would extend below the edge.

On this example, the stopping point is above the edge. With a kick, it would be below the edge.
Attachments
IMG_5838.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I have a quill knife from the King William era(1830-1837) that has a small piece of bone at the rear between the liners that acts as a blade stop.
Attachments
IMG_5512.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

knife7knut wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:31 pm I have a quill knife from the King William era(1830-1837) that has a small piece of bone at the rear between the liners that acts as a blade stop.
Awesome knife
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

This is an interesting thread. A quick look at some of my knives did not turn up any stop pins.

I note that a couple of the examples with stop pins are lock backs. The spring in a lock back is often rather weak compared to a similar sized slip joint. I can see where the stop pin would keep the blade off the spring if the spring were not robust enough.
Mel
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Dinadan wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:51 pm This is an interesting thread. A quick look at some of my knives did not turn up any stop pins.

I note that a couple of the examples with stop pins are lock backs. The spring in a lock back is often rather weak compared to a similar sized slip joint. I can see where the stop pin would keep the blade off the spring if the spring were not robust enough.
Dinadan, I have some lockbacks with stop pins, but also I have some slip joint knives with them.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:42 pm I think I understand what you're saying and I agree that the shape of the blade and handle play a role here also.…
I see what you mean and that makes sense. It allows a teardrop design with a wider blade end especially to sit deeper. It’s a very interesting topic for sure.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”