King of the Woods pics

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
knifegirl888

Re: King of the Woods pics

Post by knifegirl888 »

peterforce wrote:the one mentioned above on EBAY the main thing that chased me away was the profile shots.

i keep telling folks look at bolsters and naill nicks.

look at the bolsters on the profile shot.cleaned so much their almost as thin as the liners....lol!

that one on ebay is it real or fake..just super cleaned....what is wrong...if i missed it on this thread im sorry.
knifegirl888 wrote:Was this the one? It doesn't have a hole for the guard... I never noticed it until now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Large-Vintage- ... 3cb10f4241
With all the different KOTW we have been discussing on Ebay, it might be getting confusing. The King of the Woods that I linked above, looks like it should have a swing guard because it appears to be a 12839. I didn't even notice it until Jackknifeben and his keen eyes :shock: pointed it out. With the flat end bolster that it had, it should have had a swingguard, or at least the hole where it would have been attached.
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
peterforce

Post by peterforce »

so in this case bolsters are right but its a fake?

the real ones look so inviting!!! ::tu::
"BUY BOOKS.THEN LEARN.THEN BUY KNIVES."

http://www.akti.org/ great site!

CTP-Certified Trash Picker
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

In my opinion, the bolster and handle are right, but the blade doesn't appear to match the knife.
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

And it still sold for 520.00? That is why I started mine at 800.00. Iowa is having their knife show the 23rd if you want to see some good knives.
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

-

In regards to the knife that KnifeGirl posted, I would just say that Cattaraugus was in business for 70 +- years and that the variety of configurations that they might have produced a given pattern in (particularly one as popular as the KotW) can be judged by the similar variety in Case knives, although not nearly as well documented. That's why I say that the presence or lack of a shield or even a particular locking mechanism, or the presence or lack of a pattern number is not absolutlely diagnostic in determining the authenticity of such a knife. Again, the knife that KG posted looks to have been cleaned but otherwise does look authentic to me.

JMO

-
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

msteele6 wrote:-

In regards to the knife that KnifeGirl posted, I would just say that Cattaraugus was in business for 70 +- years and that the variety of configurations that they might have produced a given pattern in (particularly one as popular as the KotW) can be judged by the similar variety in Case knives, although not nearly as well documented. That's why I say that the presence or lack of a shield or even a particular locking mechanism, or the presence or lack of a pattern number is not absolutlely diagnostic in determining the authenticity of such a knife. Again, the knife that KG posted looks to have been cleaned but otherwise does look authentic to me.

JMO

-
I am a fairly new collector, so I could be wrong in my assumption. You could be very well right... just seemed strange to me is all.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

AAPK Janitor
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Before it gets more confusing... LOL

I, knifegirl888, am here to testify that Bret888 & 1959brett are not the same person.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0621354044

Now look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-York-Knife-Co-P ... 3361a3a9e3

Just about everything he has listed right now has been messed with, replaced blades, broken handles, rehandle jobs, etc, etc.

Anyone who buys knives from this guy is crazy, JMO.

Ok, back to king of the woods knives :lol:
AAPK Janitor
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Just don't understand how a nice girl like KG888 can stay with a crook like that :lol:

coffeecup

sidebar question

Post by coffeecup »

JACKNIFEBEN wrote:And it still sold for 520.00? That is why I started mine at 800.00. Iowa is having their knife show the 23rd if you want to see some good knives.
When and where? I might actually be able to get to that one.
Thanks, and again, sorry for the interruption.
Jim
Quality should not be an accident. So what is the explanation for some of the knives we've seen in the past few years? (from A Knifebuyer's Manifesto)
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

tjmurphy wrote:Just don't understand how a nice girl like KG888 can stay with a crook like that :lol:
Hey now! I will stick with the "Bret" with only one "t" in his name! :lol: :lol: :lol:
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. ::doh::

knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Miller Bro`s wrote:Look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0621354044

Now look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-York-Knife-Co-P ... 3361a3a9e3

Just about everything he has listed right now has been messed with, replaced blades, broken handles, rehandle jobs, etc, etc.

Anyone who buys knives from this guy is crazy, JMO.

Ok, back to king of the woods knives :lol:
OMG.... that is the same knife? I have heard on this forum & others that he is quite the expert at "fixing" things.
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

tjmurphy wrote:Sorry. Couldn't help myself. ::doh::
No worries at all! You made me laugh after a long day at work! :D
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

knifegirl888 wrote:OMG.... that is the same knife? I have heard on this forum & others that he is quite the expert at "fixing" things.
It sure is the same knife, look at the broken one closely the shield is so dirty you can hardly see it. After a new blade has been added, and all polished up it looks "Good" :roll:

I would not call him an expert ::td::

If you are new to knife collecting watch out what you buy on Feebay ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

The awful thing is that these "welded" knives, do not just stay on Ebay.

They do end up at knife/gun shows in the hands of unsuspecting sellers and buyers.

They get recycled, laundered, and are soon "clean", like dirty money. ::barf::

Millerbros,

I think you should post that link to the Walden in the counterfeit watch. Many buyers check that, and might miss this post. It is a good learning experience...
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

JIM, the knife show is at the ADVERTURE LAND hotel in DES MOINES, or really at ALTOONA 8:00 SATURDAY the 23rd. I might be there myself.
Bret888

Post by Bret888 »

Robeson Charlie saw this knife, and got the contact info, and I ended up buying it. I had never seen one with dice, and only saw one poor picture. It looked like it had a brass ring around the hole, and this one is missing. I bet it came apart and the guy glued the lens back in deeper, because the dice don't have room to roll over. Other than that, it is a beauty!
Attachments
Dice.jpg
dice back.jpg
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Brett, I'm sorry the dice game inlay is not right. I don't know enough about these to have known good from bad.

It looks as nice as I thought it was when I looked at it in Dalton a couple of weeks ago.

I hope you haven't been burned.

I get the impression you like the knife regardless. I hope that is the case.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Bret888

Post by Bret888 »

It is a good one Charlie and i like it. Thanks again!I don't know how it should look either, I am only guessing based on a bad picture.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I think it is suppose to have a compass originally. I have seen another knife with little dice in the handle like this, however I cannot remember who the maker was. I do know I have not seen the dice offered in any of the original Catalog descriptions that I have.

Maybe JKB will weigh in on this one :wink:
AAPK Janitor
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Brett, as I told you the other day, the only reason that knife even caught my eye was the previous discussion you, Kathy and Jack Knife Ben had on AAPK a while back. I knew you wanted one, so I stopped and took a look-see.

I'm glad you're pleased with it. ::nod::

But, MB's making me worry again. ::facepalm::

Now, I'll keep my eye out for the one with a compass. ::tu::

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “General Knife Discussion”