King of the Woods pics

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Bret888

Re: King of the Woods pics

Post by Bret888 »

MB, that is a shame, whatever was in that hole......
Dale, I went and looked up your grandfathers knife. That is a nice one, and it is great you have it! My uncle has my grandfathers Remington 1173, and I am just glad it is in good hands in the family. I need to get some pics of it.
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

here's my king,missing the swing guards
::shrug::
Attachments
king of woods.JPG
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

I don't think any one noticed that the KING OF THE WOODS 12839 that sold in the last couple of week didn't have the swing guard and there was no hole in the blade for a swing guard. At least yours had the hole.
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Was this the one? It doesn't have a hole for the guard... I never noticed it until now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Large-Vintage- ... 3cb10f4241
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Yes. That knife just was not right from the start. I have never seen a KING OF THE WOODS without numbers and when I saw that it didn't have the hole for the swing guard I should have said some thing.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Wow!

$520.00
AAPK Janitor
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

I picked mine up at a gun show a few months back and was happy to get one even though the guard is missing.
I remember some talk in the repair&restoration forum about someone attempting to make swing guards for the King.
Wonder if that has gone forward or not?
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

cattaraugus57 wrote:I remember some talk in the repair&restoration forum about someone attempting to make swing guards for the King.
Wonder if that has gone forward or not?
I believe it was Elvis that offered to do it, but as far as I know nobody ever sent him an original guard to copy ::shrug::
AAPK Janitor
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

that's right I remember now.
if I had one I'd surely send it....
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

-

Not all of the "King of the Woods" knives had swing guards. The model 12819 did not have the guard. The 12829 did not have the guard, however, it had a liner locking mechanism. I checked in Ritchie and Stewarts reproduction Cattaraugus Catalog. It shows three models of the large coke bottle "King of the Woods". The knife referenced in KnifeGirl's post doesn't exactly match any of the three shown in Ritchie and Stewart, but does look authentic to me. Maybe someone with more knowledge will come along. By the way, I do own some Cattaraugus knives without pattern numbers stamped, although Cattaraugus was pretty good about pattern numbers.

P.S. I must have missed something since there are several correct knives, without the swing guard, shown in the earlier part of this thread, sorry.

-
ole_muddy

Post by ole_muddy »

Here's all three from the collection of a friend of mine. It wouldn't surprise me if the etches were aftermarket add-ons since they're all so perfect. I can't say for sure, I've examined them first hand and they all have the original blade finish.

Eric
Attachments
3 Catts a.jpg
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

msteele6 wrote:-

Not all of the "King of the Woods" knives had swing guards. The model 12819 did not have the guard. The 12829 did not have the guard, however, it had a liner locking mechanism. I checked in Ritchie and Stewarts reproduction Cattaraugus Catalog. It shows three models of the large coke bottle "King of the Woods". The knife referenced in KnifeGirl's post doesn't exactly match any of the three shown in Ritchie and Stewart, but does look authentic to me. Maybe someone with more knowledge will come along. By the way, I do own some Cattaraugus knives without pattern numbers stamped, although Cattaraugus was pretty good about pattern numbers.

P.S. I must have missed something since there are several correct knives, without the swing guard, shown in the earlier part of this thread, sorry.

-
I was thinking that the 12839 was the only one with the shield. If that is the case, then the one pictured on the ebay auction should have a swing guard, or at least a hole where one would have been?

I am pretty new to the knife world though & I might be assuming wrong.. ::shrug::
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Go for it knifegirl. Here is the one i had on ebay last week and it is as correct as can be.
Attachments
MVC-022S.JPG
MVC-022S.JPG (29.71 KiB) Viewed 507 times
MVC-024S.JPG
MVC-024S.JPG (35.54 KiB) Viewed 507 times
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Jackknifeben,

Bret & I had seen yours up for auction. It is VERY nice. If we had the extra money floating around, I am sure we would have bought it... :)
peterforce

Post by peterforce »

the one mentioned above on EBAY the main thing that chased me away was the profile shots.

i keep telling folks look at bolsters and naill nicks.

look at the bolsters on the profile shot.cleaned so much their almost as thin as the liners....lol!

that one on ebay is it real or fake..just super cleaned....what is wrong...if i missed it on this thread im sorry.
"BUY BOOKS.THEN LEARN.THEN BUY KNIVES."

http://www.akti.org/ great site!

CTP-Certified Trash Picker
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

peterforce wrote:the one mentioned above on EBAY the main thing that chased me away was the profile shots.

i keep telling folks look at bolsters and naill nicks.

look at the bolsters on the profile shot.cleaned so much their almost as thin as the liners....lol!

that one on ebay is it real or fake..just super cleaned....what is wrong...if i missed it on this thread im sorry.
knifegirl888 wrote:Was this the one? It doesn't have a hole for the guard... I never noticed it until now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Large-Vintage- ... 3cb10f4241
With all the different KOTW we have been discussing on Ebay, it might be getting confusing. The King of the Woods that I linked above, looks like it should have a swing guard because it appears to be a 12839. I didn't even notice it until Jackknifeben and his keen eyes :shock: pointed it out. With the flat end bolster that it had, it should have had a swingguard, or at least the hole where it would have been attached.
peterforce

Post by peterforce »

so in this case bolsters are right but its a fake?

the real ones look so inviting!!! ::tu::
"BUY BOOKS.THEN LEARN.THEN BUY KNIVES."

http://www.akti.org/ great site!

CTP-Certified Trash Picker
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

In my opinion, the bolster and handle are right, but the blade doesn't appear to match the knife.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

And it still sold for 520.00? That is why I started mine at 800.00. Iowa is having their knife show the 23rd if you want to see some good knives.
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

-

In regards to the knife that KnifeGirl posted, I would just say that Cattaraugus was in business for 70 +- years and that the variety of configurations that they might have produced a given pattern in (particularly one as popular as the KotW) can be judged by the similar variety in Case knives, although not nearly as well documented. That's why I say that the presence or lack of a shield or even a particular locking mechanism, or the presence or lack of a pattern number is not absolutlely diagnostic in determining the authenticity of such a knife. Again, the knife that KG posted looks to have been cleaned but otherwise does look authentic to me.

JMO

-
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

msteele6 wrote:-

In regards to the knife that KnifeGirl posted, I would just say that Cattaraugus was in business for 70 +- years and that the variety of configurations that they might have produced a given pattern in (particularly one as popular as the KotW) can be judged by the similar variety in Case knives, although not nearly as well documented. That's why I say that the presence or lack of a shield or even a particular locking mechanism, or the presence or lack of a pattern number is not absolutlely diagnostic in determining the authenticity of such a knife. Again, the knife that KG posted looks to have been cleaned but otherwise does look authentic to me.

JMO

-
I am a fairly new collector, so I could be wrong in my assumption. You could be very well right... just seemed strange to me is all.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

AAPK Janitor
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Before it gets more confusing... LOL

I, knifegirl888, am here to testify that Bret888 & 1959brett are not the same person.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0621354044

Now look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-York-Knife-Co-P ... 3361a3a9e3

Just about everything he has listed right now has been messed with, replaced blades, broken handles, rehandle jobs, etc, etc.

Anyone who buys knives from this guy is crazy, JMO.

Ok, back to king of the woods knives :lol:
AAPK Janitor

Return to “General Knife Discussion”