Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by jerryd6818 »

A prime candidate for a Herman Williams makeover. ::tu::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

ken98k wrote:The trouble with all this is GEC will have an increasingly small group of buyers and less and less market share which wont be good for them in the long run.
This is, however, a self-inflicted wound.

GEC seems to swing and miss on quantities a lot. Barlows aside, it seems like they vastly overbet on that #15 Navy knife, plus the boy's knives and even the crown lifters were still floating around at dealers. They got a little luckier with the #14s but the #18 was a total washout from all the stock that is still available even to this day. Meanwhile, trying to get a Barlow was like buying a Furby at Christmas back when those things mattered worth a damn. Both times I've missed out on a sure thing reservation for a GEC were when the numbers sent to the dealer were lower than anticipated, so either they're having issues keeping up with demand on some of these patterns or they're running short to keep values pumped up.

Meanwhile, I just want a well-built, good-looking knife...Got a #77 NFin the pocket right now that has and will continue to get plenty of use. I'm almost afraid to use my #15 TC because who knows if/when Charlie will run any more of those, and I have no interest in paying $225 for one that spent the last year in a tube with the occasional photo shoot. The #13s being limited disappointed me, I had been looking forward to the pattern since the announcement, I would have preferred the Tid Office Knife to the beautiful stag NF I ended up with. Either way, you pays your money and you takes your choice. KJ chooses to patronize other cutlers and some of us still end up participating in the lolly scramble or reserving $150 knives sight-unseen.

They sure are some nice blades, though. ::smirk::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I like the GEC products, but I don't play those games either. I will never sit at my computer trying to get a reservation for a certain model. There are a few patterns that I HAD to have, like the 38 whittler. I missed the original frenzy, but was lucky to find one from a dealer. I also was fond of the 33 Conductor.

The other one that I'm digging is the 55 Houndstooth, but you can't find those anywhere. I don't own a TC barlow, but I'd love to.

I have no love for flippers, but I understand that it is part of the game, and their right to do so. Until manufacturers and dealers take steps to keep people from buying handfuls of knives and then turning around and jacking up the selling price, things won't change. Supply and demand, I guess...
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I was lucky and got interested in GEC right from the beginning. My first knife was a 2006 Stag # 73. My all time best most amazing GEC is my ivory # 33 Conductor, magnificent knife. I got these and a whole bunch of others before the feeding frenzy got intense. Having many excellent GEC knives already makes it much easier to sit on the sidelines now.
A word about my take on low production numbers. I don't think this is to boost prices. I think it is to maintain quality. With the staff & equipment they have this is the number of knives they can make and have every one properly made & finished. If production was increased, time per knife, & therefore quality of workmanship, would decrease.
I really hope GEC continues on this path of quality before production numbers.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

glennbad wrote: Until manufacturers and dealers take steps to keep people from buying handfuls of knives and then turning around and jacking up the selling price, things won't change. Supply and demand, I guess...
As far as the manufacturers and dealers, it's the same figure on their bottom line if they sell three to one individual or one to each of three individuals. What's their incentive to go to all the trouble of limiting sales? It's not in their best interest.

Speaking of the 55 Houndstooth, it is a lovely piece of hardware. (shame on me)
Attachments
GEC 550113 Hound Tooth UN-X-LD Burnt Stag - Open Mark.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Nice knife Jerry, love that stag and the Wharn. Pattern ain't bad either.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks I-Man. You're as bad as ~Q~, you would like it if it was a pipe wrench as long as it had a Wharncliffe blade. :mrgreen: ::poke::
(Well, me too.)
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

jerryd6818 wrote:
glennbad wrote: Until manufacturers and dealers take steps to keep people from buying handfuls of knives and then turning around and jacking up the selling price, things won't change. Supply and demand, I guess...
As far as the manufacturers and dealers, it's the same figure on their bottom line if they sell three to one individual or one to each of three individuals. What's their incentive to go to all the trouble of limiting sales? It's not in their best interest.

Well, from a dealer's perspective, I guess they get paid either way. The only way some collectors/users will get those knives will be on the secondary market or to pay the flipper prices. But if the original selling process turns off so many buyers that they don't end up buying any knives, I would think it would eventually have a ripple effect that may end up in knives that don't get sold.

And yes, shame on you... ::teary_eyes::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Did someone mention "Wharncliffe"??? My ears were burning...
Please Whip me again!
P3220596.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

glennbad wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:

Well, from a dealer's perspective, I guess they get paid either way. The only way some collectors/users will get those knives will be on the secondary market or to pay the flipper prices. But if the original selling process turns off so many buyers that they don't end up buying any knives, I would think it would eventually have a ripple effect that may end up in knives that don't get sold.

Every economic bubble eventually bursts.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

glennbad wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:

I'm sorry Glenn. The Devil made me do it.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

QTCut5 wrote:Did someone mention "Wharncliffe"??? My ears were burning...
Please Whip me again!P3220596.JPG

~Q~
Is that with a wet noodle or what?

Here's the only GEC Wharnie that I have, Executive Whittler.
MVC-090F.JPG
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Please Whip me again!
P3220596.JPG

~Q~
I see what you did there Q, that's about the only kind of whip I would want :mrgreen: (definitely not miracle whip....Jerry ::tounge::)
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

You guys are goona trick me into collecting knives..... ::paranoid::

Today's batch
Attachments
IMG_9649.JPG
IMG_9650.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Sha-Zamm, Scott, you hit the jackpot with that pile. Must be nice to live in the geriactric(sp?) state. Lot of old timer's estates.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

tjmurphy wrote:Sha-Zamm, Scott, you hit the jackpot with that pile. Must be nice to live in the geriactric(sp?) state. Lot of old timer's estates.
::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
SCOTT

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Just think of the gold mine The Villages must be.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

jerryd6818 wrote:Just think of the gold mine The Villages must be.
Nope.....nah-dah. It's little cozy villas where people from up north have abandoned all to live in the sunshine state. They've gotten rid of
stuff they no longer use. They play golf, eat, sleep, and play golf....repeat.
SCOTT

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That thought hit me after I posted that. They also play cards and fish and ...... My best friend from the Marine Corps sold out a couple of years ago and moved down there. He said they have the highest incidents of STDs in the state. ::shrug::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

::hmm:: Bunch of lustful grannies and grampaws. They must have those big alien cocoons in the pool.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

jerryd6818 wrote:Thanks I-Man. You're as bad as ~Q~, you would like it if it was a pipe wrench as long as it had a Wharncliffe blade. :mrgreen: ::poke::
(Well, me too.)
Hey I resemble that, take it easy on Q. He's much better at them than I. But hey if I'm compared to Q in any fashion that's good enough for me. Even if as bad. Love me some pipe wrenches, and if they had Wharns I would have some more. But look who's talking? You seem to have an affinity for some Wharns too huh? That's right. The old pot calling the kettle black again? I see how you are. :mrgreen:
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Please Whip me again!
P3220596.JPG

~Q~
Looks like you've already been whipped. And more than once by the looks of it. Double whammy.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ivoryman wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:Thanks I-Man. You're as bad as ~Q~, you would like it if it was a pipe wrench as long as it had a Wharncliffe blade. :mrgreen: ::poke::
(Well, me too.)
Hey I resemble that, take it easy on Q. He's much better at them than I. But hey if I'm compared to Q in any fashion that's good enough for me. Even if as bad. Love me some pipe wrenches, and if they had Wharns I would have some more. But look who's talking? You seem to have an affinity for some Wharns too huh? That's right. The old pot calling the kettle black again? I see how you are. :mrgreen:
I'm outed. My soul is laid bare to the world. How will I ever survive and regain my dignity? That's assuming I had any dignity to start with. :roll:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Managed to steal a moment from all the other urgencies of life, so I can post a recent pick up.

A Wenoka, which is my first Japanese knife.

Jim
IMG_8516.JPG
J1890

Post by J1890 »

Just picked up this wharncilffe the other day. Pretty sweet with the gabon ebony.
IMG_1757.JPG
"As for me and my house, we serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Return to “General Knife Discussion”