Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Old Hunter

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by Old Hunter »

Producer, you nearly needed a wheelbarrow to bring that haul in - nice knives! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Producer

Post by Producer »

Old Hunter wrote:Producer, you nearly needed a wheelbarrow to bring that haul in - nice knives! OH
Thanks OH and everyone. I haven't had much opportunity to take pics, post, etc lately but I'm still at it!
More to come. :D
I never met a Schrade I didn't like
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Regarding my Craftsman 9529 posted on previous page, it is 3 5/8" and an exact match to my Schrade-Walden bone 863.
The Camillus #72 is similar but measures 3 1/2".
I think this Craftsman is a Schrade-Walden 863. Maybe the bone was a special order for Sears, a very big customer, one to please, not loose.
kj

Edit to add:
I have another Craftsman 9529 but with a half saber grind (vs. full flat grind) and an oval shield.
In the same S-W 863 pattern i have 2 Craftsman 9494
And, a Sta-Sharp Wood Carver 9511, full saber grind.

All are the same 3 5/8" pattern.
kj
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Here's a sure enough Camillus 72 that is just a hair under 3 5/8", 3 9/16 actually. All the Camillus 72's I've ever seen are over 3 1/2 inches.
IMG_2646.JPG
Cuz can clear this up, but it was always under there assumption that there Schrade 863 was identical to the Camillus 72, with the exception of the Swinden Key in later models.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "actually. All the Camillus 72's I've ever seen are over 3 1/2 inches"

I have 6 Camillus # 72 in front of me. All are 3 1/2" or if you want to be super exact, about 1/32 max. over 3 1/2". All are well shy of 3 9/16".
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Every listing for a 72 I've seen in all the Camillus catalogs I have access to has stated 3-5/8". (A few catalog cuts are posted below.) Every one. Tomorrow, I'll drag out my calipers and my 72s and get to measuring. In fact, to be as exact as possible I won't use the cheap Chinese plastic $2 calipers, I'll go out to the garage and get the good ones.

Good night. See y'all tomorrow.
Attachments
Camillus 72 - 1946 - 1972 Catalogs.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I'm looking forward to the caliper measurements.
Regardless of the measurements when i hold the Craftsman up against a Camillus 72, the Craftsman is a bit longer. When i hold it against the S-W 863 the length is the same.
Is it possible for a knife to vary in length by about 1/16" from one run to another run done a few years apart ?
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Baer bought Ulster in late 1940/early 1941. Before that he was sending STA SHARP knives from Camillus to Sears. I am reasonably certain that at the same time, Ulster also was filling STA SHARP contracts for Sears. That might be worth researching. This knife looks like a pre-war Rogers bone knife to me. It dang sure does not have Schrade bone on it. Also, somewhere in this thread I saw the phrase STA SHARP CRAFTSMAN or CRAFTSMAN STA SHARP. Not. They were two different lines. Baer started etching Sears knives with CRAFTSMAN in 1941, and the tang stamps came a little later, according to Michael Little's research. And on a weakly-related note, I don't think Schrade CutCo ever had a Sears contract; those came after the company passed from the Schrades to Baer in December of 1947. All of this from me is circumstantial evidence; nothing hard here, but worth further speculation? Also wanted to mention that the Schrade CutCo precursor to the 863 (the 8633 3/4) and the 863 itself do not have the same blade lay-out as the OP knife.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I believe it was Dale that once said it was not uncommon for knives of three same brand and model to vary in length 1/16 th because of the hafting process.

An 863 IS a 72.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

1/16" is such a small amount I would think it's more likely to be manufacturing variance than a schrade with rogers bone.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Calvin, i think this is not correct: "somewhere in this thread I saw the phrase STA SHARP CRAFTSMAN or CRAFTSMAN STA SHARP. Not. They were two different lines. Baer started etching Sears knives with CRAFTSMAN in 1941, and the tang stamps came a little later"

"Sta-Sharp" was the brand name of the top of the line Craftsman pocket knives. The Craftsman line was started in 1927 and Sears catalogs in 1930's show "Sta-Sharp" and other lines of Craftsman knives. Some of the 1940's catalog pages show only the "Sta-Sharp" name, but others show "Craftsman" & "Sta-Sharp" together on the same knife.
kj
Attachments
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 003.jpg
Picture 004.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Wow Roland, that's a dandy knife. Superb bone.
-Paul T.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Paul. It's a Craftsman Sta-Sharp, quite mint condition. This was a knife you could receive in the mail by ordering from Sears, or pick it up at a Sears store. It shows how high the quality was back then. This is an 'old' Sta-Sharp as evidenced by the "Scout" on the shield. Some time in the 1930's Boy Scouts of America won a suit to restrict use of the word "Scout" to official BSA knives, so this knife is from before then.
kj
Producer

Post by Producer »

KJ, That is a fine looking knife there.
I never met a Schrade I didn't like
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Mail just arrived.....
Attachments
IMG_8714.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

TripleF wrote:Mail just arrived.....
Another great mail day for you Scott. ::ds::

All I get this time of month are bills. :x
Attachments
Bills.png
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Fantastic old Camillus Scott. I have one of those with an original sheath and man does it take an edge. You gonna take it on a mission?
Robert E. Lee
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Colonel26 wrote:Fantastic old Camillus Scott. I have one of those with an original sheath and man does it take an edge. You gonna take it on a mission?
Absolutely.....andwatch the boys EYES :shock: :shock: bug out when I whip it out! LOL Oh, I'm so bad, I love it though......
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Every listing for a 72 I've seen in all the Camillus catalogs I have access to has stated 3-5/8". (A few catalog cuts are posted below.) Every one. Tomorrow, I'll drag out my calipers and my 72s and get to measuring. In fact, to be as exact as possible I won't use the cheap Chinese plastic $2 calipers, I'll go out to the garage and get the good ones.

Good night. See y'all tomorrow.
Busy day. Measured 14 this afternoon (various eras). The shortest was 3.583", the longest was 3.638". The average was 3.614" (throw out the shortest and the longest). So eleven thousandths shorter than the advertised 3-5/8" (3.625"). For a plant manufacturing knives with lots of hand operations, that's pretty dadgummed good. Hey, they were making knives, not clocks.

I'd be willing to bet if they got within 1/16" they were happy. You can bet customers didn't whip out a caliper and measure the knife when they bought it. Only collectors do that kind of shirt. :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bdev

Post by bdev »

I really like those Camillus fixed blades. Have to put that one on my list.

These were delivered within the past few days....
Top is a Queen City #10 with black composite handles
Middle is a Queen #26 stockman with the "greenist" Winterbottom bone I've ever seen.
Bottom is a good old Providence Cutlery Co equal end jack.
DSC_0004.JPG
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
KnifeSlinger#81

These ones arrived today from way up north, a wonderful trio of schrade lb7's. I've never had an lb7 before, I have a 6ot which is very similar but these are even more sturdy with near perfect f&f. Impressive knives for sure. Now I have an urge to find a $20> hard user for work :lol:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
-Paul T.

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

TripleF wrote:
Colonel26 wrote:Fantastic old Camillus Scott. I have one of those with an original sheath and man does it take an edge. You gonna take it on a mission?
Absolutely.....andwatch the boys EYES :shock: :shock: bug out when I whip it out! LOL Oh, I'm so bad, I love it though......
Atta boy Scott!
Robert E. Lee
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Some recent finds. Top to bottom:

Camillus Ebony EO Jack three line 1916.

Bridge Cutlery Company St. Louis (Shapleigh Trademark) Goins: 1902-1939.

Robeson Cutlery Company Ebony swell center 1900-1916.

Thanks for looking, Lloyd
Attachments
DSCF1371.JPG
DSCF1368.JPG
Lloyd
bdev

Post by bdev »

I LOVE the bone on that Bridge knife. Great buy.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Had two Camillus era Buck 300's come in today's mail - all the way from TX - a 301 Stockman and a 313 Muskrat. From MO I took delivery of a ten dot (1980) Case 6318 HE - my first Case Medium Stockman with a Pen blade in lieu of the Spey blade. OH
Attachments
Buck 301 by Camillus - model # on front tang (2).JPG
Buck 313 Muskrat (V2b - NOS).JPG
Case 6318 HE - 1980 (2).JPG
Case 6318 HE - 1980 (3).JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Return to “General Knife Discussion”