Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
zp4ja

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by zp4ja »

ken98k wrote:New Boker Auto
My son swears by those Ken. More of a traditional knife guy myself. Don't own any tactical, assisted opens, etc. To each his own as I stated many times. Fine with that.

That said, unfortunately at 31 years old, he thinks it is a screwdriver also. Broke off the tip on several. Asked me to fix them. I declined and told him to get a screwdriver.

Good action. Just not my thing. But if it was...

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

zp4ja wrote:
My son swears by those Ken. More of a traditional knife guy myself. Don't own any tactical, assisted opens, etc. To each his own as I stated many times. Fine with that.

That said, unfortunately at 31 years old, he thinks it is a screwdriver also. Broke off the tip on several. Asked me to fix them. I declined and told him to get a screwdriver.

Jerry
I generally carry traditional style pocket knives as well but, I do have some tactical knives. Same with firearms, the rifles I hunt with never hold more than 1-5 rounds, but I own many, many, high capacity semi-autos.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

zp4ja wrote:

Jerry
Lessons well learned ... lets just say my dad wasn't as constructive when he caught me in my youth using one of his wood chisels for a screwdriver ::tu::
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

ken98k wrote:
zp4ja wrote:

Jerry
I generally carry traditional style pocket knives as well but, I do have some tactical knives. Same with firearms, the rifles I hunt with never hold more than 1-5 rounds, but I own many, many, high capacity semi-autos.
I am with you Ken as far as firearms. Just never went that direction with knives. Remind me of my Dad rolling his eyes at my slide guns. The man never owned a semi auto his whole life, handgun or long gun. Plenty around while he was alive. He was a wheel gun and single shot guy. He did own a pump 30-06 that he had for about 6 months before out the door.
As I stated,to each his own. Everyone does it different and that is cool by me. I like your traditional carries for sure.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I gotta confess: i was jokin' when i wrote "Inox in Solingen". After 50+ yrs of knife collecting & being bilingual English & French, i do know that Inox is not the manufacturer. The valid replies will help some who read here, but i will try to not joke again.

I posted that knife because of it's real significance."Nobel Explosives" = Alfred Nobel, inventor of dynamite who became the greatest philanthropist of all time endowing the Nobel Prizes. Since 1901the Nobel Prize has been the most prestigious award available in the fields of literature, medicine, physics, chemistry, peace, and economics.
kj
bdev

Post by bdev »

This one arrived today. A late 1960's Case Dogleg Jack, 3 1/2" pattern 6207. Otherwise known as a Mini Trapper when it has a spey blade instead of a pen. Got it from one of our own from the AAPK store. HH Knives. Cleaned it up and put a nice edge on it. This one will get a lot of pocket time.
DSC_0001.JPG
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

NICE!!! I scored one from our own zp4ja (jerry).. THANKS jerry!! :wink: I carry mine quite often... It rides in the RFP very nice!! Congrats!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Picked up this little (and I do mean little) Rough Rider Jack for not much money (it's not much of a knife). I saw in the listing it's 2" closed but 2" didn't look this small on any of my rulers. Lesson learned.
Attachments
DSC08326.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Case carpenters whittler in quartersawn rosewood. Got it for a song - one of my favorite patterns. Its so much thinner than a comparable 6347 stockman due to the tapered backspring:
s-l1600.jpg
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Posted this in the Venerable Old Barlow thread but decided to put it here as well. Picked up this afternoon at a local antique shop for $8.An Imperial Barlow with the hammer logo on one bolster and Old Forge style blades. Master point was rounded a bit but a little top profiling and it is good as new with very little blade loss.Handles feel like hard rubber and there is a small piece missing on the pile side.First folder I have ever seen with this style of blade.
Attachments
ImperialBarlowRoughForgedBlades1 001.jpg
ImperialBarlowRoughForgedBlades1 002.jpg
ImperialBarlowRoughForgedBlades1 004.jpg
ImperialBarlowRoughForgedBlades1 005.jpg
ImperialBarlowRoughForgedBlades1 006.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

knife7knut wrote:.First folder I have ever seen with this style of blade.
But Ray, I just posted one last week I had recently bought off eBay. :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Hammer Brand Jack Forged Look - Open.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

COOL! Don't remember seeing that one though. Any ideas on when they were made?
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

knife7knut wrote:COOL! Don't remember seeing that one though. Any ideas on when they were made?
Someone posted one and I had been wanting one for a long time so the one I posted above happened to be listed on eBay.... As I understand it, this cut was from 1974. The two color cuts......... ::shrug::
Attachments
Hammer%20Brand%20-%20Belknap%20Catalog%201974.jpg
Imperial%20Hammer%20Brand%20Flyer%202044.jpg
Imperial%20Hammer%20Brand%20Flyer043.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

zp4ja wrote:

Fatherly duty: Done. ::handshake:: Always teach the young'ns to use the proper tool for the job.

The Boker AK line is one of the reasons I started expanding my modern collection which was almost entirely for utilitarian purposes even as I started collecting traditionals. I got my hands on a manual-opening buttonlock version of the spear blade (single edge) variety and I fell in love with the form factor. I converted it to auto and a spent a few days with a friend's older (chunkier button, double-edged "dagger" blade) version. Now that I've seen a clip point version in OD I think I'm going to have to add one more auto to the family... ::disgust::

Can't say I blame you for not being a fan of the "tacti-cool", Jerry. It took a while for me to appreciate them (I still see my PM2 as the ugliest yet most useful knife I own) but I am frankly way more fond of the pocket jewelry of past and present. ::shrug::
knife7knut wrote:Posted this in the Venerable Old Barlow thread but decided to put it here as well. Picked up this afternoon at a local antique shop for $8.An Imperial Barlow with the hammer logo on one bolster and Old Forge style blades. Master point was rounded a bit but a little top profiling and it is good as new with very little blade loss.Handles feel like hard rubber and there is a small piece missing on the pile side.First folder I have ever seen with this style of blade.
I'm still not sold on the "forged look" Imperial used on those knives, but I have to say I'm intrigued by the Barlow and the jack (mostly the Barlow :mrgreen:) because of the prominent Hammer logo/shield. I'd take that deal all day long. ::tu::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Latest stag trapper in my pile. ::ds::
Attachments
2004 stag trapper.jpg
2004 stag trapper2.jpg
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

ken98k wrote:Latest stag trapper in my pile. ::ds::
:shock: Where's Case been hiding those slabs??? ::tu::
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Nice one, Ken! ::tu::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ken, I don't recall you getting a clinker yet. Good find ya got there.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

jerryd6818 wrote:Ken, I don't recall you getting a clinker yet. Good find ya got there.
Thanks, but what's a clinker? ::shrug::
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

ken98k wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:Ken, I don't recall you getting a clinker yet. Good find ya got there.
A bad one, I'm assuming.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

ken98k wrote:
Short answer, as Paul said, a bad one. A little longer answer, Clinker has many meanings but the context in which I was using it referred to the lumps of waste in a coal stove. It's a lump of coal that had so many impurities in it that it didn't burn completely and left a big chunk of hard waste in the stove. That's the best explanation I can give.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Couple.....shell handles...
Attachments
IMG_9930.JPG
IMG_9923.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

So I had four new ones I'd been waiting for.. After three of the four were delayed in the mail - they finally arrived!

The last one to arrive was a MOP custom, re scale done by the master knife man/artist Mr. Bill DeShives. What a beautiful job Bill did on this 'mini ring turn' knife. It's original scales were gone (celluloid) Bill replaced them using new old mother pearl stock from Latama Knife makers.

Pictured are all four new ring openers; (Not in order):

J.A. Henckels 'Double Wharncliffe'

Harrison Bros & Howson Sheffield

Henckels German gold 'Screaming Eagle' on scale

RMS 'Berengaria' Butcher England
ring today.jpg
ring list pearl mini2.jpg
ring list pearl mini 7.jpg
ring list pearl mini 13.jpg
ring list 23 RMS 'Berengaria' Butcher England.jpg
ring today2.jpg
Ring resale 1.jpg
If you’re gonna be dumb... You better be tough!
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Very cool, bronze. ::tu::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
specgrade

Post by specgrade »

I just got this hefty D2 blade.
Attachments
DSCN0949.JPG

Return to “General Knife Discussion”