Butterfly knifes

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
glenn

Butterfly knifes

Post by glenn »

Any of you guys collect these?
razor edge
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Butterfly knifes

Post by jerryd6818 »

I have just one. It's a cheap brass handled, Japan job I picked up a decade ago in a box lot I bought from SMKW. It's not even worth the time to dig it out of the cigar box of give aways to take a picture.

But you asked and I have one. :)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Froggyedge

Post by Froggyedge »

Sounds a lot like my only one... :lol:
Got it some 15 years ago. Since then Butterfly knives, or Batangas as they are usually called here, are no longer legal in my country...
Knivlaus mann er livlaus mann.

A knifeless man is a lifeless man - Old Nordic proverb.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Butterfly knives are illegal to carry, or I believe to even possess, here in Saskatchewan.

Dan
Dan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here's a few:some old;some new;a couple unusual.
Attachments
Bali001.jpg
Bali002.jpg
Bali004.jpg
Bali004.jpg (43.54 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
Bali005.jpg
Bali006.jpg
Bali006.jpg (36.82 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
glenn

Post by glenn »

Who made the one in first pic all the way to the right? ::tu::
razor edge
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

glenn wrote:Who made the one in first pic all the way to the right? ::tu::
Good question;those are all unmarked.Most of them came out of a collection I bought a LONG time ago;likely all of Philippine manufacture.
Roush428r

Post by Roush428r »

Was the knife in the center of the third pic made by Ken Largin of Kelgin knives? The knife on the far left of the first pic looks German...maybe Edward Zinn?

I have many of those same knives, including some of the Hemmings and Waltcos.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Roush428r wrote:Was the knife in the center of the third pic made by Ken Largin of Kelgin knives? The knife on the far left of the first pic looks German...maybe Edward Zinn?

Good call on the Kelgin;I didn't know that stood for Ken Largin.I've heard the name before but didn't connect it with that knife.

The stag scaled one is unmarked and appears to be of Philippine origin.I'm not sure if the red scaled ones are Waltco as they are unmarked as well.The all metal one is a Valor Ninja;the brown scaled one is a Taylor-Seto Manila Flder;the yellowish scaled one is a Frost Cutlery;the two all stainless ones are Benchmade Bali-SongsThe blue is the Hemming and the tiny ivoroid scaled one is marked,"Nippon"The rest are unmarked.
Roush428r

Post by Roush428r »

knife7knut wrote:
Roush428r wrote:Was the knife in the center of the third pic made by Ken Largin of Kelgin knives? The knife on the far left of the first pic looks German...maybe Edward Zinn?

Good call on the Kelgin;I didn't know that stood for Ken Largin.I've heard the name before but didn't connect it with that knife.

The stag scaled one is unmarked and appears to be of Philippine origin.I'm not sure if the red scaled ones are Waltco as they are unmarked as well.The all metal one is a Valor Ninja;the brown scaled one is a Taylor-Seto Manila Flder;the yellowish scaled one is a Frost Cutlery;the two all stainless ones are Benchmade Bali-SongsThe blue is the Hemming and the tiny ivoroid scaled one is marked,"Nippon"The rest are unmarked.
That Kelgin is a fairly high-dollar knife and probably the nicest bali I've ever handled. I've collected Kelgin knives for may years and mine was the only balisong I'd ever seen from him until now. The Hemmings have an interesting history as the Hemmings Bros. also invented the first automatic grinding machine. Some are still in use today! The red knives are almost certainly Waltcos.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

[/quote]

That Kelgin is a fairly high-dollar knife and probably the nicest bali I've ever handled. I've collected Kelgin knives for may years and mine was the only balisong I'd ever seen from him until now. The Hemmings have an interesting history as the Hemmings Bros. also invented the first automatic grinding machine. Some are still in use today! The red knives are almost certainly Waltcos.[/quote]

Thanks for the info;I wasn't aware that it had any value.Someone gave it to me a long time ago.The Hemming I got on e-Bay awhile back for relatively cheap money(about $15 as I recall).The others I have acquired through the years.
Roush428r

Post by Roush428r »

knife7knut wrote:
That Kelgin is a fairly high-dollar knife and probably the nicest bali I've ever handled. I've collected Kelgin knives for may years and mine was the only balisong I'd ever seen from him until now. The Hemmings have an interesting history as the Hemmings Bros. also invented the first automatic grinding machine. Some are still in use today! The red knives are almost certainly Waltcos.[/quote]

Thanks for the info;I wasn't aware that it had any value.Someone gave it to me a long time ago.[/quote]

If you'd like to pretend you're still not aware, I'll give you $50 for it! Actually, I bought mine within the past few years and I got it for under $40, as the seller didn't know what it was. Now my curiosity is piqued...I may call Ken and ask him when he made these, how many he made, and what they originally sold for. In the past he's been great about providing info on his knives and he loves to discuss them.
Desktop

Post by Desktop »

Here is a 1950s balisong from Sweden (Knivfabriken Gnosjö) and a Finnish Hackman.
8)

Roush428r

Post by Roush428r »

The Swedish knife in the previous post looks somewhat familiar. Here are few of mine that I had nearby. The red knife in the photo with the Swedish knife is very similar to the Hackman but I haven't seen this particular knife before. It's marked "Allex".
Attachments
DSCN6636.JPG
DSCN6637.JPG
gino

Post by gino »

Just what I needed -something else to collect!
I dont have any but some of those older ones look pretty cool!
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

I have "opted out" on these things. But do enjoy the pictures, and that's the closest I will get to one now ::dang:: I bet you can guess the rest of the story ::doh::
I never knew they demanded such a high price until I researched them a while back!
Great looking collections guys!

................. Joe
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
Desktop

Post by Desktop »

Roush428r wrote:The Swedish knife in the previous post looks somewhat familiar. Here are few of mine that I had nearby. The red knife in the photo with the Swedish knife is very similar to the Hackman but I haven't seen this particular knife before. It's marked "Allex".

Nice balis, Roush428r!

Your knife from 'Knivfabriken" is the same as mine, the only difference is that yours is the model without the "bottle opener". They made different variations of this knife in the late 50s. There is an older version that looks pretty similar to the ones we have but the handles were hollow (folded metal) with black celluloid - not solid stainless handles. The older version also lacked the 'fish scaler'.

I have another one with white pearlex scales that is in beautiful condition. It will be featured in an article in a section about the "Knivfabriken" from "Gnosjö" - so I'm not posting the picture here.

I've never seen the red 'Allex'. I got my Hackman in a trade, don't know much about it.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Unmarked, stag handle.........
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (30.59 KiB) Viewed 826 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (45.27 KiB) Viewed 826 times
AAPK Janitor