J A Henckels swiss army pocket knife?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
diggerdirect

J A Henckels swiss army pocket knife?

Post by diggerdirect »

Hi, new here found this site while doing some research on a knife of mine. It looks like one of those swiss army knife types, with two blades, a corkscrew, a 3 sided pointed blade, a long 'J' shaped blade and a set of tweezers in the stag handle, (there is also a place for a tooth pick in the opposite side of the handle but its missing), however it just doesnt strike me as a swiss army type of knife. The two blades are marked with the double figures and J A HENCKELS GERMANY

Was given to me by my grandfather 30 years ago, he said it belonged to a french canadian logger (back in the 1930s / 1940s gramps was a log hauler up in the big woods) and that the 'J' shaped thing was used to tighten the laces up in their boots. I think its pretty old, and its built really well you can just tell by the feel of it. I'm a trapper and have skinned atleast a thousand muskrats, mink & coon with it over the last 30 years, it holds an edge as good or better than any of my knives.
diggerdirect

Re: J A Henckels swiss army pocket knife?

Post by diggerdirect »

Here are a few pictures of it.
henckels4.JPG
henckels1.JPG
henckels2.JPG
henckels3.JPG
Thanks for any info. The pictures are not the best its actually much better than it shows, blades have that worn patina color to much of the surfaces is all.
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

that is an awesome knife, I would love to find one of those ::tu::
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
justold52

Post by justold52 »

Hello diggerdirect and WELCOME to AAPK.

Gr8 knife you got from many hands before yours... ::nod::

Yours is the 3rd one I have seen.

I saw 2 on Ebay but did not bid high enough... :cry: :oops:

The STAG handle on ever one is super.

I like most J A Henckels and here is one that just makes me feel so happy I have her.

J.A. Henckels Hobo Stag 3 7/8 "

J.A. Henckels Hobo Central Kentucky Club 2001 3 7/8 "
Attachments
Henckels Hobo.jpg
Henckels Hobo.jpg (45.04 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
Henckels HoBo $.jpg
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

Welcome to the friendliest knife site on the net. Your knife is a horsemans knife, the hook is a hoof pick. Someone will be along soon with more info. Again welcome to AAPK
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
Froggyedge

Post by Froggyedge »

::welcome::
Great old knife!
And with a long story to tell. If only they could talk...
And still serving? That is cool! ::tu::

I'm afraid that I do not have any more information. It has already been mentioned that it is an old horseman's knife, also known as a farrier's knife. My guess (and a guess only) is that it was made some time after WW1, like in the early twenties...
Knivlaus mann er livlaus mann.

A knifeless man is a lifeless man - Old Nordic proverb.
diggerdirect

Post by diggerdirect »

Thankyou to all who responded! I would have never guessed the farriers aspect of it, but makes sense now. Many times gramps said he would have to spend the night with the loggers in camp then drive the old truck out the next day when it was light, cause the roads were not real good, story goes he won this in a poker game one night there. I could see where it could be used to tighten those high lace-up boots the loggers wore even if it wasn't the original purpose.
I was thinking of selling off some things as the price of fur was really down last year & not looking real good for the future. Before I list anything I try & get as much info on it as I can, so it atleast appears I know what I'm talking about.

But Googling for a henckels swiss army knife or loggers knife didnt return much, lol.

This is likely one of the oldest knives in my 'arsenal', and I take pretty good care of my 'tools', wash em off & lightly oil after use, would you think its something I should continue to use?

Any ideas on a ball park value? I've sold off some of my knives & older traps the past few years on ebay, where I sell antique bottles, stoneware & things like that I dig up, and am always downsizing/upgrading my skinning equipment. Sold a small Case xx pocket knife just a while ago that I never use. A guy only needs so many skinning knives, I have a blake & lamb improved muskrat that I would say is my favorite I've had must be 25 years now, and a small camillus knife would be second. I'm Just curious how many beaver pelts this might be worth, lol.

Thanks again for all the information.
Regards,
Al Parker
justold52

Post by justold52 »

I would use Formby's Lemon Oil Treatment on any STAG.(not any Lemon Oil).

Most of the custom knife makers use that.

I put some on a Q-tip and rub it on the stag. Let it sit wet for 2 days, to give it time to soak. Then turrn it over and repeat. Then I would Ren-Wax the hole knife blades and stag.

Ken
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Nice knife ::tu:: . As mentioned, it is a horseman's or coachman's knife. This style was typically produced in the late 1800s or early 1900 so I suspect it was made pre WWI. Not a a farriers knife which has a curved fixed blade for trimming horses hooves. :D s-k
Rust Never Sleeps
diggerdirect

Post by diggerdirect »

Well, thanks to all who responded, just a quick note to say its listed, ebay# 270551736676. "3 inch J A Henckels folding HORSEMANS knife"
We do what we have to, and I'm sure it will get to a good home.

Al
Ramrod

Post by Ramrod »

what the heck is wrong with people? unbelievable
diggerdirect

Post by diggerdirect »

Your concern is rather confusing there Ramrod, a knife collector bummed out because a non-knife collector is selling a piece? You act as if a person was selling off their memories, but if physical objects, or the lack thereof, are the only thing that keeps memories alive for you then I feel sorry for ya bud. I could say as much the same statement, what the hell is wrong with people? why is it that they need a physical object to invoke memories of loved ones gone? I certainly dont, they are with me every single day until such time as I'll see them again, There are many treasures in our large family, from the quite valuable to the purely sentimental, that have been and will continue to be passed down through the generations ever since we arrived here, but most important are the stories told and written by the old folks to the younger ones, who hopefully will pass them on when its their time to. A knife Gramps won in a poker game doesn't qualify an heirloom status to me, but the memory of it does. He dug it out of a box one day & gave it to me to use, and use it I did, also taught me how to take care of it, take care of it I did, now, with no longer a need for it, It'll get passed on to another who will have the responsibility of preserving this small artifact of history.

In the big picture we are only temporary custodians of these treasures we possess, and its our responsibility to ensure they are protected for future generations to view, study & enjoy.

That is the reason for coming to these forums, to seek out information to help direct this item into the hands of a qualified caretaker, rather than have it end up one rainy day in a dollar box at a lawn sale or worse, as far as the memories? Rest assured they are safe & sound. Sorry if you dont understand, unbelieveable? perhaps, perhaps not.

Regards,
Al
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

Al,

With all due respect, it is your knife and you can do whatever you want to with any object you own. If it were mine though, I might ask other family members if they would want and cherish the knife prior to selling it on Ebay ..... Just my observation on the subject. It might be that some of us here at AAPK are a tad more sentimental on family items than you are ???? Either way, I hope the knife in question finds a new home and I'm sure it will ..... how many pieces of silver is it really worth ? That answer is in your bible
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w
Froggyedge

Post by Froggyedge »

smiling-knife wrote:Nice knife ::tu:: . As mentioned, it is a horseman's or coachman's knife. This style was typically produced in the late 1800s or early 1900 so I suspect it was made pre WWI. Not a a farriers knife which has a curved fixed blade for trimming horses hooves. :D s-k
I stand corrected. Thank you!
I have seen «Farrier's knife» used to describe a Horseman's knife several times and have had the impression that the two terms sort of overlapped.
These, for instance, are called Farrier's knives on the jbrucevoyles.com website.
horsevoyles.jpg
From now on I will try to remember that the Horseman's knife is the same as the Bootlace knife! :) 8)

smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Yes those are horseman's knives not farrier's knives as I understand them. In an 1880s Wostenholm catalogue the Horseman's patten is not labelled as such but simply falls into the very broad category of Sportsman's knives. The hoof pick attachment is not really the same as a button hook or boot lace hook. :D s-k
Rust Never Sleeps
Froggyedge

Post by Froggyedge »

smiling-knife wrote:Yes those are horseman's knives not farrier's knives as I understand them. In an 1880s Wostenholm catalogue the Horseman's patten is not labelled as such but simply falls into the very broad category of Sportsman's knives. The hoof pick attachment is not really the same as a button hook or boot lace hook. :D s-k
No, but that was an interesting alternative use for it! :D

smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

[/quote]
No, but that was an interesting alternative use for it! :D[/quote]

Agreed ::tu:: In those knives you posted, note the notch in the handle towards the front end. In combination with the hoof pick, that forms a nut cracker. You could have some walnuts and open the port whilst waiting for the hunt. :D s-k
Rust Never Sleeps
diggerdirect

Post by diggerdirect »

"If it were mine though, I might ask other family members if they would want and cherish the knife prior to selling it on Ebay ..... "

deanmm56, duly noted, and was discussed amongst the family prior, but in the rush to judgement that question wasn't submitted, apparently just assumed.

In my online business I buy out or liquidate many estates, mainly contents, from people of all walks of life, some out of convienience, others because they need the cash, all keep something, but none I've happened across keep everything.

But beyond that, I browsed these forums quite a bit before making my inquiries, and seen many a hard luck story here & across the internet where someone 'had' to sell off something, be it a family heirloom, or some of their collection or whatever, something dear to them due to financial reasons or that the family could eat or simply stay afloat. Behind most of these hard luck stories were similar posts from the 'unbelieveable' crowd. Its my sincere hope circumstances never arise that force them to have to 'believe it'.

As far as eBay, it is just one venue, albeit currently the best one in the online realm for the majority of items, antiques & collectibles in specific, realizing the most traffic which equals the most views which directly equates to the most dollars, which is why 80% of people sell off something in the first place. but I agree it doesn't really matter where an item is disposed of, the end result is its gone.
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

Hey digger,

By all means I am not judging you or anyone else ..... believe me, I've been broke a time or two in my life and know what it is to sell cherished items just to make ends meet. I've regretted some sales that I HAD to make in the past. If I was into collecting that type of knife i would surely bid on it ..... let's hope it brings great memories.

Dean
Dean M. Morron

justold52

Post by justold52 »

Well I did bid on the knife and watched her to the end.

She went out of my price range for that knife.

I let her go, but now I am thinking perhaps I should have bid on her again.

I wouder if it was the stories that went with her I liked so much?

Eather way she went to the highest bidder at the end.

Ken
Froggyedge

Post by Froggyedge »

How much was the winning bid? Just out of curiosity...
Interesting knife with an interesting story...

deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

Hello Froggy ...,

Winning bid was $230.05. Quite an interesting knife.
Dean M. Morron

Froggyedge

Post by Froggyedge »

Thanks!
It went quite high. I suppose this thread generated some extra interest...

Rich327

Post by Rich327 »

I have this Henckel Horseman's knife handed down through the family. I'd like as much information as is out there on it. I'm not looking to sell it but I am curious as to it's value.
Attachments
Henckel-logo.jpg
Henckel-logo.jpg (22.24 KiB) Viewed 531 times
Rich327

Post by Rich327 »

more pics......
Attachments
horseman's knife1.jpg
horseman's-knife2.jpg
horseman's-knife2.jpg (17.04 KiB) Viewed 530 times

Return to “General Knife Discussion”