Look for knives with certain characteristics I want.

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Alan0354

Look for knives with certain characteristics I want.

Post by Alan0354 »

I am looking for a very study manual folding knife with the characteristic as below. Please give me suggestions. So far, the only two brands that I found is Steel Will and Cold Steel. Cold steel knives are just too big and too heavy for the blade length. Literally Steel Will is the only brand so far.

1) I want a knife with long flipping tap( or similar) for hand protection when thrusting into hard object. The flipping tap( or equivalent) prevent the knife from shoving back into the hand and cut the fingers.
Kexmo black.jpg
Kexmo black.jpg (38.77 KiB) Viewed 589 times
2) The knife has to be robust for PRYING, meaning have to have steel liners on both sides inside the handle. The blade has to be thick so it won't break as easy.

3) blade length between 3.5" to 4" max and close length of 5" or under( That's where Cold Steel FAILED. Don't know why the AD-10 Lite is 5.3" handle.)

4) Keep the weight 6.3oz max( Again, Cold Steel knives are HEAVY).

So far, the only 2 I found and already owned a few are Steel Will Warbot and Steel Will Censor. Below is the things that are important to me, thick black with full thickness over large area of the blade, long flipping tap or handle to protect fingers. hopefully larger diameter pivot pin.
Ideal robust knife.jpg
Please if you know of other knives, let me know, It doesn't have to be expensive, in fact, for my purpose, edge retention is NOT important, TOUGHNESS(not breaking during PRYING) is more important for me.

Thanks
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Look for knives with certain characteristics I want.

Post by Railsplitter »

The SOG Kiku closely resembles the knife in your first picture. I had one and wish I would have kept it.

Get one. You’ll like it. ‘Nuff said.
Attachments
SOG Kiku.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:52 am The SOG Kiku closely resembles the knife in your first picture. I had one and wish I would have kept it.

Get one. You’ll like it. ‘Nuff said.
Sadly, you see the big hole that is used for the thumb to open the blade? That's a big weak point. I've seen on youtube torturing test on Spyderco knife, it broke right at the area of the big hole when prying. I can only take one with thumb stud.

Too bad so many potential good one have a hole in that area. Your SOG looks almost like the one in my first picture. That one is almost exactly idea for me. Believe it or not, it's a CHEAP knife only $13.00. It came with ball bearings pivot. BUT they don't thin out the pivot area of both the blade and the liners at the pivot point to accommodate the ball bearings. Most that have ball bearings thin out the blade in that area to the point it's only about 0.004" thick.

I actually put it on the big vise, use both hands to bend it sideways in the PRYING motion. It survived. This is only a 2.99" blade small knife that is 4oz. I bought 6 of them, that's the reason I am no longer looking for a 3" knife anymore.

I really look deep into the design of folding knives. This one designed as good as the Steel Will. Here is the internal picture.
Kexmo internal 1.jpg
You can see the pivot point is just as thick. Also, the distance from pivot to the tip of the contact of liner lock to the tank of the blade is 0.49". This make it very strong against the blade being forced to close. You'll be surprised how many knives have under 0.4". The two Steel Will has 0.5" on the Censor and almost 0.6" on the top Warbot.

Too bad Cold Steel has very good design, just them make their knives too big, it's really not for EDC in big city.

Thanks
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Sometimes I think you are messing with us :D
What DO you use your knives for??
::handshake::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

You seem determined to find a knife suitable for use as a pry bar. Knives are made for cutting, not prying. Harbor freight has all sizes of pry bars, some small enough to fit in a pocket, certainly into a small bug-out bag.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

edge213 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:23 am Sometimes I think you are messing with us :D
What DO you use your knives for??
::handshake::
Not messing around here. I did a lot of searching and can't find it.

I know it's strange the things I want. I carry for self defense and for survival in city. Most likely is car accident that I need to cut and pry my way out. I don't carry a pry bar with me, that little knife is likely the ONLY thing within my reach.

I never use my knife to cut boxes, paper or anything else, just hope I never have to use it forever. I carry just in case I need it.
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:25 am You seem determined to find a knife suitable for use as a pry bar. Knives are made for cutting, not prying. Harbor freight has all sizes of pry bars, some small enough to fit is a pocket, certainly into a small bug-out bag.

Ken
This is for carrying in my pocket when I go to restaurants, parties and everywhere in big city, so it has to do everything as it's the only tool I have in my pocket. It cannot be that big that show that I carry something big in my pocket. that's the reason I forego Cold Steel knives.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Expecting to pry your way out of a car wreck is unrealistic. You either kick the door open or kick out the smashed windshield. A seat belt cutter might be handy if the mechanism gets jammed. Any knife will cut a belt, but a hooked blade is safer especially if upside down.

In my opinion. The very best knife to suit your scenario, is a Benchmade TRIAGE. One model has a flat tip and oposing bevels to optimize its prying potential.
IMG_1047.jpeg
I carry a Triage and a tourniquet with me.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

The Tops Mini Pry Knife is designed for cutting and prying. Too bad it’s not a folder.
Attachments
IMG_0122.jpeg
IMG_0121.jpeg
Rick T.

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Personally, I don't know how anyone can comfortably carry a 6 oz knife in a pocket...in a belt sheath maybe, but that seems like an awful lot of weight inside a pocket ::hmm::

Since this is the only tool you carry but you want to be useful for a variety of emergency situations, it seems to me that what you really need is some kind of multi-tool.

I know this isn't necessarily what you're looking for because for one, it's not a folder, but I'm showing it just for the sake of comparison and considering various alternatives. On the plus side it's small enough to carry unobtrusively in a pocket and has some of the features you're interested in (prying, cutting) without the potential problem of a pivot that could fail under stress. Also has other tools that would expand the scope of useful applications.
Attachments
CRKT Tabor.jpg
CRKT Tabor pry tool.jpg
~Q~
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

There are tons of knife torture test videos on YouTube-

. . . but nothing I'm trying just for s&g's. I work hard for my money. 💸💸💸 ::mdm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

Thanks for the suggestion from everyone. Thing is like I said, self defense is part of the EDC. So it has to be a real knife. Also, I did stressed about the importance of the long flipper tap or equivalent for protecting the hand when thrusting. That is a must. I am surprised so many knives don't have that. ::dang::

I practice thrusting into the heavy bag with plastic knife, I think the long flipper tap is important as insurance.
Kexmo black.jpg
Kexmo black.jpg (38.77 KiB) Viewed 431 times
Thanks
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:10 pm Personally, I don't know how anyone can comfortably carry a 6 oz knife in a pocket...in a belt sheath maybe, but that seems like an awful lot of weight inside a pocket ::hmm::

Since this is the only tool you carry but you want to be useful for a variety of emergency situations, it seems to me that what you really need is some kind of multi-tool.

I know this isn't necessarily what you're looking for because for one, it's not a folder, but I'm showing it just for the sake of comparison and considering various alternatives. On the plus side it's small enough to carry unobtrusively in a pocket and has some of the features you're interested in (prying, cutting) without the potential problem of a pivot that could fail under stress. Also has other tools that would expand the scope of useful applications.
Because it is very important for me. I don't carry for convenience, cutting boxes, paper, food or anything. It's just one tool for both survival and self defense. 6oz is not that bad, more important is the thickness and length. A lot of knives with belt cutter are just too thick and long, but at the same time the blade is too thin ( 0.11" to max 0.13" I found).

I am very sincere and serious posting this thread, not joking at all.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Would the PMP Grizzly suit your needs? I don’t know much about it but the specs say the blade is .254 inches thick.

It ain’t cheap though.
Attachments
IMG_0127.jpeg
Rick T.

Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:10 am Would the PMP Grizzly suit your needs? I don’t know much about it but the specs say the blade is .254 inches thick.

It ain’t cheap though.
WOW, that's heavy, 11oz!!! That's a strong knife alright.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Alan0354 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:40 am
Railsplitter wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:10 am Would the PMP Grizzly suit your needs? I don’t know much about it but the specs say the blade is .254 inches thick.

It ain’t cheap though.
Let us know if you find something. ::tu::
Rick T.

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I was going to suggest this Medford MKT Praetorian Genesis T Galaxy, but at 7.3 oz it's also a bit too heavy.

This Medford Praetorian Genesis T Knife is a bulldog of an EDC that features a 3.3 inch Tanto point blade made of premium S35VN stainless steel, .190 inch thick, with tumbled finish, dual stops that lock up against the frame for superior strength against sideways torque, and a deep fuller that lessens weight and also serves as a thumb groove for ambidextrous one hand opening. The titanium handle, 4.35 inches closed, With an eye catching Galaxy finish and milled grooves for visual interest, a sturdy frame lock, massive backspacer with integral breaker, lanyard hole, and a Galaxy finish titanium pocket clip. The Medford Praetorian Genesis T Knife has an overall open length of 7.5 inches, and it weighs 7.3 ounces. Proudly made in the USA.
From Medford: The Praetorian Genesis is for that "This one is too big, this one is too small" knife nut. The Praetorian Genesis is that middle ground that looks as bad-ass as ever and wont spook Democrats in your presence but is still large enough for nearly anything.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/305274249935
Attachments
Medford Praetorian.jpg
~Q~
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:38 am I was going to suggest this Medford MKT Praetorian Genesis T Galaxy, but at 7.3 oz it's also a bit too heavy.

This Medford Praetorian Genesis T Knife is a bulldog of an EDC that features a 3.3 inch Tanto point blade made of premium S35VN stainless steel, .190 inch thick, with tumbled finish, dual stops that lock up against the frame for superior strength against sideways torque, and a deep fuller that lessens weight and also serves as a thumb groove for ambidextrous one hand opening. The titanium handle, 4.35 inches closed, With an eye catching Galaxy finish and milled grooves for visual interest, a sturdy frame lock, massive backspacer with integral breaker, lanyard hole, and a Galaxy finish titanium pocket clip. The Medford Praetorian Genesis T Knife has an overall open length of 7.5 inches, and it weighs 7.3 ounces. Proudly made in the USA.
From Medford: The Praetorian Genesis is for that "This one is too big, this one is too small" knife nut. The Praetorian Genesis is that middle ground that looks as bad-ass as ever and wont spook Democrats in your presence but is still large enough for nearly anything.
It's heavy, more importantly, it's WAY too expensive. For that weight and size, I can just go with Cold Steel. I returned the Cold Steel SR1 Lite 4" that's only $38. It passed the torture test of JoeX crazy torture test. He couldn't break it. Still lighter and smaller and 1/9 the cost.

I am actually stay with lower grade steel like D2, 8 or 9Cr that don't crack and break, more tough in terms of bending. To me 58-60HRc is plenty already.

Honestly, I don't hold out a lot of hope, I've been searching for many days up and down already. If I am willing to go bigger and a little heavier, like I said Cold Steel would be a good candidate. The SR1 Lite is so strong and CHEAP it's not funny. It's just too bulky to put in the pocket.

Thanks
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:50 am
Alan0354 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:40 am

It ain’t cheap though.
Let us know if you find something. ::tu::
I am not holding out much hope, it's only out of desperation I post here even I know it sounded stupid. If I am willing to go a little heavier and bigger, Cold Steel SR1 Lite 4" blade is PERFECT already. It's only $38, it survived JoeX crazy torture test. That's as strong as it gets. It's just too bulky and heavy. I actually bought it and returned it. That was a good one.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:38 am I was going to suggest this Medford MKT Praetorian Genesis T Galaxy . . . The Praetorian Genesis is that middle ground that looks as bad-ass as ever and wont spook Democrats in your presence but is still large enough for nearly anything.

::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

I bought back the Cold Steel SR1 tanto, a Browning $20 and one more Steel Will Warbot all in very good price. I think it's the end of the road. Cold Steel SR1 is 6.9oz and 5.4" closed length. I guess I have to try harder to get use to it!!!

The next might be Cold Steel Rajah 3. I might get it later. It's 5oz, but the structure is not as robust compare to my Warbot.

All my knives are cheap, but I am more concentrate on the design, I don't need edge retention, I need it not to break as easy( toughness). This make me look harder in the lower price knives.

BUT, I am open for any suggestions. I'll keep monitor this thread just in case. I have over 30 knives, what is a few more!!! :lol:
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Alan0354 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:12 pm I bought back the Cold Steel SR1 tanto, a Browning $20 and one more Steel Will Warbot all in very good price. I think it's the end of the road. Cold Steel SR1 is 6.9oz and 5.4" closed length. I guess I have to try harder to get use to it!!!

The next might be Cold Steel Rajah 3. I might get it later. It's 5oz, but the structure is not as robust compare to my Warbot.

All my knives are cheap, but I am more concentrate on the design, I don't need edge retention, I need it not to break as easy( toughness). This make me look harder in the lower price knives.

BUT, I am open for any suggestions. I'll keep monitor this thread just in case. I have over 30 knives, what is a few more!!! :lol:
Sounds like you are good to go unless something better comes up.

I think some of us can relate to your frustration. I don’t appear to be the only one who did a lot of searching to help you find something. I gave up so I can understand your delima.

Thanks for letting us know what you decided on for now.
Rick T.

Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:20 pm
Alan0354 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:12 pm I bought back the Cold Steel SR1 tanto, a Browning $20 and one more Steel Will Warbot all in very good price. I think it's the end of the road. Cold Steel SR1 is 6.9oz and 5.4" closed length. I guess I have to try harder to get use to it!!!

Sounds like you are good to go unless something better comes up.

I think some of us can relate to your frustration. I don’t appear to be the only one who did a lot of searching to help you find something. I gave up so I can understand your delima.

Thanks for letting us know what you decided on for now.
I am not giving up, only for now. I am open for suggestions. It's not urgent, I just feel like collecting more.

thanks
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

I just want to show reason I consider Steel Will Warbot is about the best for my requirement. It's 3.5", 6.1oz, you can see there is no thinning out at the pivot area. The blade is at full thickness of 0.16" as circled by GREEN color. Notice the pivot to the tip of the liner lock in RED is 0.6". That's is VERY LONG DISTANCE compare to most of the knives I saw on youtube and my own experience. Anything over 0.45" is already good.

More importantly, the pivot pin in BLUE is 0.25" diameter. Most other knives are 0.2" or even smaller. This is larger than even Cold Steel. Look at the thickness of the wall on the pin.
Warbot dimensions L.jpg
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

I just bought the Cold Steel Rajah III after seeing this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s8w4c9ZHVQ

This is MY kind of knife. I don't care how ugly it looks. The guy is 220lbs!!! I only clamp the knife on a big vise, then bend it ( push and pull in prying motion) with both hands. I don't think I put 200lbs on the knife.

Too bad JoeX removed all his knife torturing videos on youtube. I would have posted the video that he FAILED to destroy the Cold Steel SR1 Lite, the one I bought yesterday. Can't wait for the knives to arrive.

I wish someone would torture test the Steel Will Warbot I have. I have confident it will do good.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”