WHAT ARE YOU CARRYIN RIGHT NOW? WHAT IS YOUR FAV EDC?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: WHAT ARE YOU CARRYIN RIGHT NOW? WHAT IS YOUR FAV EDC?

Post by Just Plain Dave »

2017-03-23 07.19.03.jpg
Old beat up Imperial with a busted awl.
Looking for the magic penny!
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Tom's choice is my choice today.
Attachments
WP_20170322_028.jpg
WP_20170322_033.jpg
WP_20170322_032.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Did it with Bucks today :wink:
Attachments
IMG_0421.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Colonel26 wrote:I'm toting this old 5 dot 3299 1/2. It's a year older than me. And sharper too!
Another bicentennial baby? Good to hear. I always look for 4-dots of my favorite 70s Cases, scored an 11031SH end of last year. :mrgreen:

That's a real nice 99. My only 99 is a wooden Whaler but I am always on the hunt for a nice 1/2. I usually prefer bone or wood handles but that yeller calls to me on that frame. ::tu::
Ivoryman wrote:Tom's choice is my choice today.
Someone should needle Charlie until he does another run of those with sheepsfoot masters (or, dare I dream, Wharnie???).
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
Colonel26 wrote:I'm toting this old 5 dot 3299 1/2. It's a year older than me. And sharper too!
Another bicentennial baby? Good to hear. I always look for 4-dots of my favorite 70s Cases, scored an 11031SH end of last year. :mrgreen:

That's a real nice 99. My only 99 is a wooden Whaler but I am always on the hunt for a nice 1/2. I usually prefer bone or wood handles but that yeller calls to me on that frame. ::tu::
Someone should needle Charlie until he does another run of those with sheepsfoot masters (or, dare I dream, Wharnie???).
Yes sir, I'm a bicentennial baby! I don't have any 4 dots myself. They're pretty hard to come by it seems.

I had a nice 5299 1/2, 10 dot, but I traded it to a real nice XX era 6375 that I couldn't pass up. I got this one, a XX USA era 99 1/2 with well worn blades, a Buck 112 and a couple of junk knives in a real nice buy it now deal on eBay.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Tsar Bomba wrote:

RIGHT ON Bomba blade brother. I wrote the company for just that. Asked for a run of TC Barlow, single blade, sheep or wharn, stag. They didn't sound enthusiastic. Maybe someone like CKnives or Charlie would be more excited.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

2017-03-24 07.15.42.jpg
This one.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Guess I'll just tote these today.
Attachments
20170324_080232.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

This, plus an 881y in the back pocket.
Attachments
image.jpeg
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Western 657
Attachments
Western 657 007.JPG
David
TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian »

bighomer wrote:
treefarmer wrote:bighomer,
What about the Queen in the middle of the trio? What are is the handle material? It looks almost pink or red in the picture or is that just my ol' wore out eyes? What pattern number is it?
Treefarmer
Farmer you shore can ask hard questions. Looking at ole catalogs I'm guessing its a #9 stockman pattern. The etch is long gone, from the stamp it is a '58 to '60 time frame. Its been rode hard and put up wet may a rehandle.I'm think Delrin on one side and maybe bone on the other ::shrug:: . It's almost purple on one side.20170318_111737.jpg

They're Winter bottom bone scales, prior to the late 60s they were bone towards the end they went with Delrin as it made a decent replacement.

Excerpt from the link below...
What is Winterbottom Bone?
To the person that is not a collector or enthusiast of antique cutlery, the words “Winterbottom bone” must seem a strange pairing of these words. However, to those who love the old cutlery, those two words are very familiar and bring an instant picture to mind of distinctive and unique liner grooved and stained bone handled knives. The very distinctive visual character of Winterbottom bone was used for knife handles of some by America’s oldest cutleries; it was a bone handle material for pocket, hunting and table cutlery during the first half of the last century. Queen Cutlery of Titusville, Pennsylvania was the principal user of Winterbottom bone handle material, but it is also known that Case, Imperial, Camillus, Cattaraugus, Ka-Bar and others also produced some knives with Winterbottom Bone handles.

Who developed it?
The Winterbottom bone’s distinctive jigging and coloring was developed by Samuel Winterbottom of Egg Harbor, NJ. In the 1924 book, “South Jersey, a History 1864 – 1924,” Samuel is described as “Possessing artistic taste, as well as the skill of a fine artisan.” Samuel was a bone cutter by training and profession. He immigrated to America in 1885. This same book offers more of his personal history:
John Winterbottom, Mr. Winterbottom’s father, was born and died in Sheffield, England, and was a bone-cutter by occupation, his trade linking his name with the world famous cutlery manufacturers of that city. The family has followed similar lines of activities in England one hundred and thirty years. …
The link below gives a good history on Winter bottom bone and it's origin.

https://franksclassicknives.com/pages/w ... fe-handles

Here's a few of my Queen Winter bottom bone, mostly from the 70s
100_5294.JPG
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Have not trotted this one out in quite awhile.
Just put a fresh edge on it yesterday.

A little glennbad goodness .. .. :mrgreen:
Attachments
20170324_225848.jpg
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I carried the snips and cable knife (these or others like 'em) for nearly 30 years. When I retired I took them off. That lasted less than a month. Finally out of concern for her new car seats and new couch MJ laid down the law, so I took them off. About then I saw in another thread something about a small knife challenge, so I dug out this 3 spring Ranger. It's a solid knife, and lays flat in the bottom of my watch pocket. It's been a couple of weeks and it's been enough so far.
Bruce
Attachments
IMG_4351.JPG
IMG_4366.JPG
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

2017-03-25 07.24.36.jpg
One of my top three last to leave knives.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Tote'n these today
Attachments
20170325_092439.jpg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

On this fine Saturday I'm carrying a 35 1/2 with a Stryker ::super_happy::
Attachments
IMG_20170219_160535463.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Nice totes all around, gents! ::tu:: Big-H, is that Queen canoe stag?
Ivoryman wrote:RIGHT ON Bomba blade brother. I wrote the company for just that. Asked for a run of TC Barlow, single blade, sheep or wharn, stag. They didn't sound enthusiastic. Maybe someone like CKnives or Charlie would be more excited.
IIRC Charlie has sole control over when they run TC Barlows - I actually gave up on them altogether and started focusing on NF 77s until I found out there was a separate run commissioned by Charlie of the single-clip 15 TCs last year. I might send him a message - I don't see him active on AAPK any more but I think he's still posting on the big forum. Next time I get wind of a TC run I'm going to set up reservations on every dealer site I can find - CK was the dealer that got me my TC finally but they're like Lay's potato chips - you can't have just one! :lol:

Speaking of NF77s I couldn't resist tossing mine back in the LFP all week along with this matching Case 64052 - turns out the green I was worried might be too bright is a perfect complement to GEC's "spring green" dye. The recent GEC run of 13s seems to have rekindled a passion for the Congress frame, I've been carrying a lot lately. Another RAT-1 clipped to the pocket completes the triad.
33486529292_46e5ee9d9c_b.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Western again today :)
Attachments
Western 657 002.JPG
David
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I wishTony it's a work horse line canoe, the rat is what they call queen stag. Here's a better photo hopefully.
Attachments
20170325_132353.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

bighomer wrote:I wishTony it's a work horse line canoe, the rat is what they call queen stag. Here's a better photo hopefully.
That's a good photo. ::tu:: I like the workhorse knives - is yours 1095? Most of mine are but I have one that (unless factory error) is stamped D2. All with the telltale unfinished pins and grippy (staggy or Winterbottom) Delrin. It's a good-looking knife to my eye.

I recognized that muskie as the "real" Queen bonestag, I always drool over 'em but I don't buy a whole lot of rats because of the blade redundancy and the fact that I often carry 1-3 knives with clip blades on any given day anyway. It sure would look nice with my 6.5 Case Barlow though. If Queen makes a moose with the same handles I'd be a buyer for sure.

Toldja you're the King of Queens. Well, you and Bruno probably share the crown. :mrgreen:
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Just got these two cases (among others) in trade, but these ones went with me for the weekend. Plus my well traveled 8OTY.
Attachments
image.jpeg
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Tony I'm the king of want, I want every Queen I see. I've got a few but not near enough. I actually like the rats but heck I like all patterns except for a couple.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Pair of the day
Attachments
WP_20170325_020.jpg
WP_20170325_021.jpg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Great knives Iman,you da man bro. Tony I have no idea what steel the canoe is, I have the box somewhere BUT!!!
::woot::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Packin' this one today.
Attachments
DSCN0585.JPG
DSCN0586.JPG
Joe

Return to “General Knife Discussion”