Moore Maker question

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
alexander

Moore Maker question

Post by alexander »

Hey everybody, a quick question for those oof you well-versed in the ways of Moore Maker.
I bought a yellow bone stockman recently, to sort of try out the brand, and I'm impressed! It's got to be one of the nicest knives I have.
Now, I have a buddy who's getting married in October, and I want to get him a nice knife (probably slip it to him at the Bachelor Party, so the new wife doesn't get upset that he got a 'special' present, instead of just something off the Target gift registry...). I've been looking at the Buffalo-handles Moore Makers, since they look pretty classy, and since I'm pleased with the quality of the one I just got.
Now, I know that the Buffalo horn knives are made by Camillus, instead of Queen, and I've heard various reports of quality, some saying they're on par with one another and some saying that the Queens are nicer.
My question is this: I want to get him the Buffalo horn Stockman, but I want to be sure that it's going to be as nice a knife as the Queen-made bone version I've got; otherwise, I'll have to get him a bone model, although I think the Buffalo horn would be most appropriate.
Can anyone attest to the quality of the Camillus-made knives, in comparison to the Queen-made ones? Will a Buffalo horn Stockman be nice enough for the occasion, or should I go with bone (even though the horn has the look I'm going for)?

Sorry to be so long-winded...
Alex
agteacher2

Post by agteacher2 »

Hi Alexander,

I'm a Moore Maker dealer so I have have handled several of the knives made by both manufacturers.
In my opinion the camillus knives are nice. well made knives. But the Queens just suit my taste better.
The Camillus blades are thicker and heavier made also the handles are a bit chunkier.
I really like the Queen made Bone and stag handled knives. Fit and finish on them as a rule is excellent. And I really like the sleeker profile to the blades.

I guess the main difference is the price.

The Buffalo stockman is$48.99 in my store

While the bone handle is $67.99

and finally the stag is $110.99

Both are good but I do feel like the Queen made knives are a step above.

Hope this helps,
Jeff
Jeff Jones
Athens, TX

www.Jonescutlery.com
agteacher2

Post by agteacher2 »

Just for an example here is the latest addition to my collection. Not a stockman but I'm a trapper guy.
Attachments
100_3882.jpg
100_3882.jpg (63.73 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
100_3883.jpg
100_3883.jpg (59.91 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
Jeff Jones
Athens, TX

www.Jonescutlery.com
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I would agree with what Jeff said. I have three of the Camillus made buffalo horn knives - solid, fine fit and finish but the horn handles are basically flat with no rounding of the edges giving a boxy feel. The Camillus made yellow delrin models have nicely rounded handles, though. It may just be quirk of the buffalo horn material.

That stag trapper is a limited run (I believe) new for 2006 and looks awesome - great stag and 1095 carbon steel.
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

Who makes the rams horn handled knives for moore maker, and what patterns are they available in? They are awesome!
Gary
longbeachbum

Post by longbeachbum »

I've got several of both versions, (i.e. Queen made and Camillus made) and I may be alone in this, but I actually prefer my Camillus made Moore Makers in yellow delrin and Buffalo horn.

In any case, in my opinion you can't go wrong with either. I've never been dissappointed with any Moore Maker I've bought, which includes four Queens and three Camillus'.

I say get him the Buffalo horn. I'm sure you'll like it.
knifeswapper

Post by knifeswapper »

Just asked that question to the owner yesterday; rams horn is Queen made (and priced in line with the stag).
Mike Latham, CollectorKnives
Great Eastern Cutlery | Case Knives | Arno Bernard Knives | Early Reserve
Low Price & Satisfaction Guaranteed
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

Thanks knifeswaper, thats what I was thinking.
Gary

Return to “General Knife Discussion”