Case CV

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TM

Post by TM »

hey Ericky - if you're still on the fence about which knife to buy, here's my 2 cents:

You really can't go wrong with the good old Case, yellow handle CV Trapper and Stockman. Both of these are fairly enexpensive and hold an edge well. The walk and talk on both of mine is great. The one thing I've noticed about the Case yellows is you do have to pay attention to the fit and finish... sometimes the scales aren't always fitted as well as I like them to be. The nice thing is, you can still find these in most hardware stores - so it's no problem to check through a few of the boxes until you find the one that feels right :D .
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

CV in my opinion is umatched in it's ease of sharpening and ability to get "scary" sharp without much effort.

I collect all kinds of knives with an assortment of different steel being used in them but my everyday carry and reigning champ is a simple yellow handled trapper in CV. It will cut you to the bone if your not careful and give you a shave after that's done..

You can also enhance the simple handle into anything you want...Here is where I had it done.. :)

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... gory_id=69

“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
EricKy

Post by EricKy »

Thanks folks. My current edc is a Case ducks unlimited minitrapper in ss. Really starting to like the looks of the medium stockman Case Cv in amber bone. All I've ever had from Case has been ss but really considering the CV.
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

I'd go with the CV, being it's a variant of 1095. 1075 and 1095 are both of the 10xx family the latter two numbers being percentage of carbon content, 1075 is .75% +/-, 1095 is .95 +/- and both are good steels and heat treating makes a huge difference in the quality of the blade. However I hear that Eyebrand 1075 has had heat treating problems in another post here over the years and may be squared away now. Regardless of that, I'd pick CV because of the added Chromium and Vanadium that give it better edge retention and toughness over 1075.
Hukk
EricKy

Post by EricKy »

Either my computer was acting stupid or I stutter when I type. I didnt mean to post the same message 3 times.
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

We just thought you were very serious about getting your point across.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

EricKy wrote:Either my computer was acting stupid or I stutter when I type. I didnt mean to post the same message 3 times.
What stutter? ::shrug:: ::shrug:: ::shrug:: :mrgreen:
Hukk
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks John. ::tu::
I keep looking at it & KNOW it would feel good in my pocket, but just can't bring myself to use it yet.
I guess it would be easier if I didn't have so many users already. :lol:

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
EricKy

Post by EricKy »

Hukk wrote:
EricKy wrote:Either my computer was acting stupid or I stutter when I type. I didnt mean to post the same message 3 times.
What stutter? ::shrug:: ::shrug:: ::shrug:: :mrgreen:

They deleted the extra message. I repeat the same message a couple of times.
EricKy

Post by EricKy »

Here is the one i went with.

useem

Post by useem »

Looks like the Amber Bone. Good choice ::tu:: ::tu::
wildcat

Post by wildcat »

Good choice ::tu:: ::tu::
God prefers spiritual fruit, not religious nuts. Galations 5:22~
Captain O

Re: Case CV

Post by Captain O »

I'll have an Amber Bone CV Small Texas Jack in a couple of days. I decided that the CC wouldn't quite hold the edge CV will. I enjoy the "old school" approach of the Small Texas Jack Knife. The addition of Chromium and Vanadium to their 1095 steel lends the tendency to retain the edge "just a little bit longer".

This will see quite a bit of time in my pocket. ::tu:: 8)
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Cap'n I'm a fan of both Case's CV blade steel and the Amber Bone handles. I recently added a 6318 CV in amber bone to my EDC pile. It hasn't had any pocket time yet but its day is coming soon. I've carried other Case knives with CV blades in the past and I know for a fact it's an excellent blade steel. I hope you'll enjoy your new knife. BTW thanks for resurrecting this old thread. I love going back in time.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: I have both the CV Trapper and Trapperlock in yellow handle derlin great knives and the fit and finish on both is outstanding. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Case carbon steel from 46 years ago and CV of a significantly newer vintage.
32198665096_8b956d8173_k.jpg
Got a 3318PU in CV slated for this week's pocket duty. ::tu::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: I want to add to my previous post that the reason I bought these Case CV steel knives is because I carried a 301 Buck stockman for about 10 years. It is a great knife but I had a hard time sharpening it. I wanted a knife that I could sharpen easily and be able to open easier since I have arthritis in my fingers. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Stakeknife

Re:

Post by Stakeknife »

EricKy wrote:Thanks folks. My current edc is a Case ducks unlimited minitrapper in ss. Really starting to like the looks of the medium stockman Case Cv in amber bone. All I've ever had from Case has been ss but really considering the CV.

Here is mine
Attachments
image.jpeg
NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject. Our forefathers knew this to be true..... Why do so many of us question their wisdom?
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

6318PU in CV in the WP all week long:
31589620944_ce651866e8_k.jpg
The punch is stainless but both blades are CV.

Grabbed my trusty 6375 CV and paired it with my unused 63032 CV for a family photo. Turns out that the jigging on the little guy has developed some sort of toothpaste-like film on some parts of both handles. I'm going to need to do a little work with my super soft brush and some soapy water. Knife box-sores?? ::paranoid:: Think that's my cue to free this poor fella from the box for a while and give it a whirl for a few days. Between the 6318PU and the 6375, I don't often find a need for an 032 normally.
31634271873_e67faa4a75_k.jpg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”