I was wrong!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Old Hunter

I was wrong!

Post by Old Hunter »

I've cleaned a fair number of deer in my life, only once using a folding knife (a Gerber with a synthetic handle given to me by a friend years ago). I had a time getting all the gunk out of the thin blade well on that Gerber and never used it again. I swore off big folders for cleaning deer, preferring the many different style fixed blade hunting knives I own (I've decided my favorite is the Buck 118). Yesterday I helped a buddy skin and cut up a doe he shot using the Buck ·110· I bought at a Pawn & Gun this past Tuesday evening (I had put a good edge on it Friday afternoon). It was a real pleasure to use - felt good in my hand, worked well in tight areas and the sharp blade cut smoothly (with it's old style Buck grind). I have too many good hunting knives to commit to only one, but this old 110 could be an "only" knife if forced to - it's compact for belt carry, holds an edge, and works well in a small deer. The clean up was simple - no gunk in the blade well (maybe I'm a better deer cleaner nowadays) a wash down with the hose and a wipe off with a paper towel. I oiled it and touched up the blade once home - we're ready for tomorrow. OH
Attachments
IMG_4935.JPG
IMG_4936.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I was wrong!

Post by orvet »

IMO, the Buck 110 is one of the most underrated knives on the market.
Glad to see you enjoyed using it! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have used a Schrade 25OT in the field and it is easy to clean up, plus it has a back-up blade, plus the 1095 is a fast touch-up if necessary (but it is usually not necessary). I always do an asshole-ectomy and NEVER split the pubic arch bone. No sense in getting the meat unnecessarily dirty, getting cut, and ruining knives. Well, anyway, that Buck folder should serve you well. I still prefer a fixed blade whenever I can use one (for ANY cutting job).
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I'm a fan of the Buck 110's. Nothing fancy (unless you go custom) but well built with proven materials. ::tu:: Looking good OH!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Great stufff Bruce! Thanks for sharing.....now about a slab of backstrap ::shrug:: ::paranoid::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

This has nothing to do with deer or hunting. Not being Buck fixed blade knowledgeable, I had to look up the Buck 118 the Colonel mentioned. They must magnetize the blades on those suckers at the factory because I sure feel a strong draw to them. Not as a user of course but as a knife fan and hoarder. There's just something about them that makes me want one of each model.

Over the years, I bought a couple of Bucks for my son (he lost the first one during an Antelope stalk), one for my grandson because he took a fancy to it and then Phil gave that 103 to me. I love to handle them. They're so slick and well made, I'm tempted to start a collection of the fixed blades. Please God give me strength, I don't need another addiction.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Jerry, there is no doubt in my mind that you are a man who is living right! Just this morning I learned that SMKW has had a special run of the Buck 118 Personal made of D-2 steel (today's standard issue Buck steel is 420HC). As the Model 118 is only run by Buck from time to time, and only very rarely in D-2 steel, I'm thinking this is some kind of message for you! Post a picture when it arrives!! Your AAPK buddy, OH :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pr ... U8799.html
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Get thee behind me Satan. Why is it that all my friends on AAPK are so quick to spend my money? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm hangin' tough & staying strong. ::huff::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Jerry, Surely you're not coming over to the dark side and becoming ARMY STRONG! Look Jerry, it gets even better - what has Buck done?!?! I'm telling you, it's a sign! OH ::woot:: ::woot::

http://www.buckknives.com/product/118-p ... 0118FAM01/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Wood and brass on a knife do not tempt me. In fact they have the opposite effect. It's pretty in a picture but is not for me.

Army Strong? HA! My great aunt Matilda's hairy armpit. ::censored:: ::not_saying::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here is an older 118 with inverted stamp, user. Available, but nobody would want that old thing; it probably has less than 100 years of use left in it.
buck118.jpg
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

You guys got me courious, I pulled out the drawer I toss Buck fixed blades in and counted 13 of them, but no 118. I don't even collect them but somehow 13 showed up. I don't skin my deer because the processer wants them with the hides on so I don't look for blades that sweep back in a skinner pattern so I'm not tempted to did out my SMKW and order one. But if I did, they are on sale now. No temtation here. Dave
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The Buck 110 has to be one of the most copied knife designs ever and I don't think anyone ever came up to the standard.

I still have the one I bought at the Ft. Bragg PX in 1968. I have another from the same time period that was a gift from a generous AAPK member just so I'd have one to pass on to each of my two sons.

If I decided to take a trek in the woods tomorrow, I'd put one of them on my belt. No question.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:The Buck 110 has to be one of the most copied knife designs ever and I don't think anyone ever came up to the standard.
In my opinion Schrade's LB 7 did a better job than anyone else of copying the Buck 110.
The handles on the Buck are more squared off than they are on the LB 7, making it less comfortable for me to use than the LB 7. However, if weight is an issue the Buck 110 way 7.3 ounces and the LB 7 way 7.9 ounces.

The Buck 110 is a still a better value, in my opinion, because of the pricing. You can buy a new Buck 110 today at Wal-Mart for less than $40. In 2004 when Schrade went out of business the manufacturer suggested retail on the LB 7 was $62.95.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I have owned and sold a lot of Buck 110's. Nice knife. Are the current Buck 110 USA made?

Harold
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Harold,

The Buck 110 is still made here in the USA at the Post Falls, Idaho production facility. The newer model 110s have a bit more refined finish to the handles and bolsters. The edges are more rounded affording a more comfortable grip than the earlier ones.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks Phil
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I liked the steel in the Buck.
Difficult to sharpen, but once done they hold their edge.
Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

jerryd6818 wrote:Wood and brass on a knife do not tempt me. In fact they have the opposite effect
I agree with Jerry, for some reason I don`t like brass bolsters on a knife, even brass liners bother me ::uc::

Some people like a heavy knife, I don`t, I think the brass on these knives weighs it down quite a bit.

Great knives but I cannot get use to carrying it in my pocket, that is why they come in a belt sheath but if I am going to do that then I will just carry a full length hunting knife like I do now.
AAPK Janitor
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Charlie, this one (in the beginning of the thread) was in new (but old - ca. 1978) condition when I bought it last week - and very dull, must have come that way from Buck because there wasn't a sharpening scratch or wear mark on the blade. I worked it numerous times on the Washita side of the stone, and then on the hard Arkansas side of the stone - finally gave it a bunch of strokes on the ceramic sticks. It is sharp now (that old grind is a challenge to sharpen) and it went through that small deer with no problem - it is still sharp enough to skin and butcher a couple more deer. OH

Harold, like Phil says - the Buck 110 of today is a more refined (ergonomically designed) knife with slightly rolled edges - unmistakably a Buck 110 - and this year they have a special 50th anniversary design. I bought two of the new ones! OH
Attachments
Buck 110 - 50th Anniversary knives 1st & 2nd Versions (1).jpg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I do not dispute that the 110 is a hoss of a knife. It's well made too. But I'm with Jerry, wood and brass just don't trip my trigger. But over on marlinowners.com you'd think the Buck 110 was the second coming of Jim Bowie with near mystical powers.

As to using a folding knife, I've heard of folks back in the day processing a deer with only a stockman pocket knife.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I have said the same about the 110. Great all around knife. Good looking Deer meat. ::tu::
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Miller Bro`s wrote:

Some people like a heavy knife, I don`t, I think the brass on these knives weighs it down quite a bit.

Great knives but I cannot get use to carrying it in my pocket, that is why they come in a belt sheath but if I am going to do that then I will just carry a full length hunting knife like I do now.
I agree. Buck 110s and the Schrade clones are excellent knives; I just don't like them. Too much heavy handle and not enough blade. The classic bad compromise. I am thinking of the original reason for folding knives- pocketable, concealable, multiple blades, always handy, BUT there is not a folding knife made which can equal the strength, big cutting capability, safety, ease of cleaning, ease of sharpening of a fixed blade. Just my opinion. Obviously a few million people don't agree. Room for all of us.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

If it weren't for the price tag, this would be real tempting to have around. "Buck 110 Lochsa" ::ds::

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/buck-kniv ... roduction/

Return to “General Knife Discussion”