Bear & Son

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
David M

Bear & Son

Post by David M »

I have been collecting knives for a long time but just ordered my first Bear & Son,a small stockman. I have noticed there is not much discussion about Bear & Son knives anywhere. Does anyone have opinions about their knives?
dogknott

Re: Bear & Son

Post by dogknott »

I have a muskrat model in high carbon stainless, wanted the CS blades. I had to tighten up a blade when I got it ,But I like the knife over all as an EDC. Blades are dull finish, could use polished, holds a good edge. I may own another model in the future.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I only own two Bear & Sons made knives. One is a 5 inch (closed) lockback in stag that bears the Keen Kutter stamp. The other is a reproduction of the Remington RS3333 official Boy Scout knife. Both are well made knives, but I have noted that both knives have a gritty feel when you open and close the blade(s). Perhaps this would dissipate with use or maybe a good cleaning with a silicone product such as Kel woud remedy this. It's not a deal breaker, but it's also not something I have noted on other new knives I have bought. Since both are safe queens I can't comment about function.
All in all, what I've seen of the Bear & Sons knives, I would rate them as very good but not great. Of course they don't cost as much as many others made here in the U.S.A. currently.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
lenny357

Post by lenny357 »

They make some real nice SOLID knives, I have a few; which I will hold on too because they dont sell for what I feel their worth.
wv trapper I

Post by wv trapper I »

Dave,
I have a skinner with a drop point and gut hook I've had since the 90's. I wouldn't take anything for it, for me the perfect carry hunting knife. There is no model number on this knife and I looked in SMKW catalog and could not find one that looked like it, SM is selling their line now. Bear & Son makes a fine looking knife and made in the good ol USA. I'm sure their stand behind their products.
Joe
"Pray for our Troops everyday"
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the info. I got one for a user.
Dave O

Post by Dave O »

I volunteered to sharpen my Friends Bear and Sons Four Blade Cattle knife. The Stag looked like it might not be real. I lost it before I could get it home, and the worst part is that it was a gift from his sons.

How and where can I replace it? Thanks
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Dave O wrote:I volunteered to sharpen my Friends Bear and Sons Four Blade Cattle knife. The Stag looked like it might not be real. I lost it before I could get it home, and the worst part is that it was a gift from his sons.

How and where can I replace it? Thanks
Oh no Dave............... ::doh::

Try Smokey Mountain Knife Works online. They carry the Bear and Sons knives.

Good luck.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Bummer! ::dang:: ::doh:: ::dang::
Try Bladematrix: http://www.bladematrix.tv/index.asp?Pag ... 330&Page=1

They have 8 pages of Bear & Sons & I find their prices to usually be lower than SMKW.

I hope you can find it.
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Dave O

Post by Dave O »

Just like my everyday life, I found it right where I left it!
pickup man

Post by pickup man »

Bear & Son is a decent knife for the money. I have two and they are well made. Some knife purists may find fault with them but their products perform well and they are made in the USA.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”