Work Sharp for pocket knives?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
rea1eye

Work Sharp for pocket knives?

Post by rea1eye »

Has anyone used the Work Sharp belt sharpener to sharpen pocket knives?

I saw it at Cabela's today. It looks like it can sharpen at a fixed 25 degree angle. (not

adjustable)

Is a 15-20 degree angle best for pocket knives? Would the 25 degree angle give

you a less sharp edge/unsatisfactory?

Bob
Attachments
work.sharp.jpg
work.sharp.jpg (4.1 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Work Sharp for pocket knives?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Is that an electrical cord I see coming out the back of that contraption? If so it wouldn't touch any knife I own! ::woot:: Wouldn't trust it, or myself with it. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Bob,
I bought one sometime back and have used it on a lot of kitchen knives and filet knives with great success, also have used mine on some pocket knives and have been pleased with the results. It works great for me when restoring a blade that has been tipped or abused. There are 2 different guides with the one I bought, follow the instructions and it will do the job.

Now at the end of the user guide, there are some exaggerated claims, in my opinion. No doubt it would work but sharpening shovels, hoes, axes, pick axes, posthole diggers and mower blades, it appears to be a tad on the light side. This is right angle or bench grinder territory in my book.

I read the user guides and practiced on some old rags that didn't matter and feel confident in using the Work Sharp, however it has not replaced my Lansky system, my steel or my leather strop!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
nifenut

Post by nifenut »

I have one and really like it.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I agree with treefarmer. It's great for restoring an abused or tipped blade (once you practice with it).
I never use it on my good knives. I did use it on a cane sword for a friend. The sword was a cheaper China version that came from the factory with an unsharpened edge, I was able to get a keen edge without any trouble. I don't think I could have done this with my other sharpening techniques.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Bob,

PM sent...check your messages.

Cheers,
~Q~
~Q~
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

I looked at a display model locally and the belt seemed too aggressive but I think finer belts may be available.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

finer belts are available.

I've had one for a couple of years. I've braged on it several times in various threads on AAPK. IMO it's great for everything except pocket knives. Maybe I just don't know the lick it's done with but I discovered early on that it tends to round off the tips of my pocket knife blades. Again, JMO.

As an aside, for shovels, hatchets and axes I use the 1"x42" belt sander. For the lawnmower blade, I use the right angle grinder. Just the way I do it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

There are a few versions of the work-sharp.

There is a newer "Ken Onion" edition that has a speed adjustment knob (slow it down for no heat buildup) and angle adjustments from 15-30 degrees. The angle adjustments are really just a general angle, since it's a slack belt sharpener (it will convex your edges). I know some guys who have one they use for sharpening longswords for tatami cutting.

it takes (somewhat) standard 3/4x12 belts and you can get them from coarse to 6000 grit micromesh.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

jerryd6818 wrote: As an aside, for shovels, hatchets and axes I use the 1"x42" belt sander. For the lawnmower blade, I use the right angle grinder. Just the way I do it.
I don't believe I've ever sharpened a shovel but, for my machete, hatchets, and axes I use a 1x42 belt sander also. And like you, I use a 4" grinder for the mower blades. ::tu::
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

ken98k wrote:I don't believe I've ever sharpened a shovel
I have ........... by using the hell out of it ............ ::nod::
Joe
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

In the ad they say it will sharpen even pocket knives.
Keep Near the Cross.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

deltaboy wrote:In the ad they say it will sharpen even pocket knives.
See my post above.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

No pull-through or power sharpener will ever touch my knives. Honestly, Work Sharps are a bad idea, unless you're using them to put a grind on a new handmade knife, or sharpening something like an extremely dull and chipped axe. I don't own one.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I use a 1 X 42 belt sander or a slow water bath stone similar to a Tormek, and a Powr-Strop.
Both allow me to use a very light touch so I do not remove any more metal than is necessary.

I have examined the Work Sharp at local stores where they have a demo model. After examining it and seeing how it was setup, I did not use it on one of my EDCs because I could see would remove more metal in one use than I remove in a year with my method.

It is not something I will be using on my knives.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

If anyone wants to try one of these Work Sharps but doesn't want to risk investing a lot of money, I have a brand new one that's never even been plugged in (Ken Onion edition). Still has all paperwork, manufacturer's warranty and instructional DVD (but no box). Send me a PM and maybe we can work something out (special discount for AAPK members, of course). Otherwise I'll probably go ahead on list it on the eBeast.

~Q~
~Q~
Jigslinger

Post by Jigslinger »

Great sharpener to have on hand if you have several knives in line to sharpen. If I only have one or two I'll go with my stones. It does a fine job, but there is a learning curve to get the best out of it. It is super for larger blades but for me, a little sketchy for smaller blades, like a pen knife blade. The jury is still out for me on the convex edge that the Work Sharp produces. They claim it is a superior edge but I'm not so sure. It is a keen edge though. And easy as pie. I think it is a good augmentation to sharpening, but I'd never give up my stones entirely. Plus, I just like stones. As far a rounding tips, that's generally operator error. Just have to pay attention and not let the belt get hold of the tip. My good pocket knives still get stone only.
"A bad knife cuts one's finger instead of the stick."

Return to “General Knife Discussion”