Landenberger custom musk ox

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Landenberger custom musk ox

Post by terryl308 »

:mrgreen: Just finished this one up. I have had some small pieces of musk ox horn laying around and decided to use them up. About a year ago I epoxied two pieces together on some red fiber board to make a piece large enough for one fixed blade knife handle. This is what I came up with. The blade is O-1 high carbon tool steel and the guard is brass. I also hand stitch my own sheaths. Thanks for looking. Terry ::handshake::
Attachments
DSC_0277.JPG
DSC_0278.JPG
DSC_0279.JPG
DSC_0280.JPG
DSC_0281.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Landenberger custom musk ox

Post by edge213 »

Terry, that is a beautiful knife and sheath combo. Musk ox horn makes great looking knife handles. I have a Schrade Barlow rehandled by Orvet in musk ox.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

David, I have made several knives with musk ox horn in the past, the only bad thing about it is, it's getting really hard to fine quality horn scales anywhere. I have a really nice old mount that I will probably saw up for knife scales. I've tried to sell it but nobody want's to pay what it's worth. It's kind of a shame to cut it up cause it is a "book" size head. Thanks for the comments, Terry ::handshake::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Very nice work, right down to the sheath!
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Terry, I really like the red accents. Tell me about the fiberboard. It must be something high density like the ceramic fiberboard used in furnaces or the epoxy impregnated glass used as electrical insulation. I would think other kinds of fiberboard might absorb water.

Dennis
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

deo-pa wrote:Terry, I really like the red accents. Tell me about the fiberboard. It must be something high density like the ceramic fiberboard used in furnaces or the epoxy impregnated glass used as electrical insulation. I would think other kinds of fiberboard might absorb water.

Dennis
I don't have a lot of info on the fiberboard except that it is made for knife making and is called vulcanized fiber board. I have been using it for 15 or so years and have never had any report of it absorbing water. ::handshake:: Terry
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Really nice work Terry! ::tu::

I really like Musk Ox horn, but it is hard to find.
If you decide to cut up that mount and want to sell some, let me know. ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

:D Dale, I am going to send you an email, I have some smaller pieces of musk ox on hand right now, they would be big enough for pocket knife scales but large enough for fixed blade handles. You can reply by email if interested, Terry ::handshake::
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Here are one set of scales that I would sell, $30 and I'll pay the shipping. Not real big as you can see by the photo's but good solid horn. They are 1/4" to 3/8" thick and would probably make a set of scales 1/2"x 2 7/8". ::handshake:: Terry
Attachments
DSC_0317.JPG
DSC_0318.JPG
DSC_0319.JPG

Return to “Custom Knives”