Remington 5 blade sowbelly

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
olderdogs1

Remington 5 blade sowbelly

Post by olderdogs1 »

This one looks bad to me, terrible bone and the bolsters are not right.

Tom

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322449605260?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
RalphAlsip

Re: Remington 5 blade sowbelly

Post by RalphAlsip »

Tom, this one is ridiculously bad. ::td:: ::td::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That jigging . . . ::barf::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Not Remington. In additional to what has already been said, that etch isn't correct and the blades look like stainless? ::shrug::

In summary: ::barf::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

That one is a full blown stinker ::td::
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

Most of the parts of that knife are very likely from a Parker-Frost sowbelly.
tendots

Post by tendots »

At least the bone looks to be genuine :oops:
Tang stamps hide more than they reveal.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The only thing worse than the knife is the fact that people are actually bidding on it. $305 right now. ::shrug::
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

btrwtr wrote:The only thing worse than the knife is the fact that people are actually bidding on it. $305 right now. ::shrug::
Nobody bids on that knife because they care about vintage knives. If they cared, they would read, look at old catalogs, and study good well preserved old knives. They would immediately see it as ridiculous.

I had a hard time understanding it until someone stated it plainly to me. The feller said, I prefer fantasy. He didn't want to learn about old knives. It's much easier for him to buy fakes and pretend they're real. And the fakers pat him on the back. That's what the bidders are buying. And they're paying a lot for it.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

supratentorial wrote:
btrwtr wrote:The only thing worse than the knife is the fact that people are actually bidding on it. $305 right now. ::shrug::
Nobody bids on that knife because they care about vintage knives. If they cared, they would read, look at old catalogs, and study good well preserved old knives. They would immediately see it as ridiculous.

I had a hard time understanding it until someone stated it plainly to me. The feller said, I prefer fantasy. He didn't want to learn about old knives. It's much easier for him to buy fakes and pretend they're real. And the fakers pat him on the back. That's what the bidders are buying. And they're paying a lot for it.
This is EXACTLY true. I have often said out there that the fakes will usually go for higher prices than the real knives do.

For this reason, once could make the case that there is nothing wrong with making and selling fake knives. If there is a genuine market demand for fakes, then the sellers of fakes are filling a need. The need for fantasy.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

knifeaholic wrote:
supratentorial wrote:

This is EXACTLY true. I have often said out there that the fakes will usually go for higher prices than the real knives do.

For this reason, once could make the case that there is nothing wrong with making and selling fake knives. If there is a genuine market demand for fakes, then the sellers of fakes are filling a need. The need for fantasy.
There is demand. Fakers wouldn't make fakes if people didn't buy them.

I know that this is just discussion but the idea that there's nothing wrong does make me cringe. Haha. They're lying. I grew up being taught that's wrong but in some ways it seems to be embraced by the mainstream. There are lots of examples but one of many is the reality TV show about a psychic in Long Island.

Some folks will get hurt by the lies. They do have a cost. The fakes can be a barrier to new collectors. Though some knives like this one are obvious, some are more difficult to identify. In some cases, the auction photos will be insufficient to evaluate the authenticity. And for old collectors a lot of time is wasted wading through all of the fakes and reworks to find good knives. I also wonder if fantasy will overtake history in knife collecting. What will be the future of the hobby? Lots to think about and discuss. It's good that there's a counterfeit watch with open discussion.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Horrible looking fake.
Keep Near the Cross.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Looks like catalina bone from culpepper, maybe bamboo or whiskey color hard to tell from the dark pics
http://www.knifehandles.com/catalina.html
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”