Fake CASE Canoe

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
zp4ja

Fake CASE Canoe

Post by zp4ja »

This is a obvious one.

Jerry

http://m.ebay.com/itm/152304420553
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
kootenay joe

Re: Fake CASE Canoe

Post by kootenay joe »

Jerry, i do not know Case very well. What is "obvious" ?
kj
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Roland,
I can point out a few things not right with the knife. The Bone is not Case Bone. The blade has a Indian Canoe etch. Case never started the canoe until the 70's, and it wasn't that Indian canoe etch. The OP knife being stamped XX would be 1940-64. The main blade has a pattern number that was stamped on crudely 1 number at a time, not a Case stamping for sure. Can't really see the shield but it doesn't look right either. In short not a Case knife in any way.
As Jerry said, that one is obvious.

Tom
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

kootenay joe wrote:Jerry, i do not know Case very well. What is "obvious" ?
kj
First off, they did not use the 2 guys in a canoe etch till 74' or 75'. Not sure etch is correct either for when they actually did use it (minor for me as it is not supposed to be on knife anyway) Secondly, as I recall, CASE did not make a bone canoe until possibly mid sixties. That is what is believed but personally never seen one nor do I believe anyone else I talked has either. Think "hens teeth"
Would be one of the rarest CASE knives if real, commonly faked. Thirdly, blade would be polished not brushed, etc, etc.

If all my real authentic CASE knives were of that quality, I would sell them all. "Feel" certainly is a factor.

That knife is a train wreck looks like Pakistan to me
Whatever it is, not authentic.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Seller ended the auction with the following notice - "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing" - maybe he did the responsible thing after enough people pointed out the flaws in the OP knife. Tom
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

bestgear wrote:Seller ended the auction with the following notice - "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing" - maybe he did the responsible thing after enough people pointed out the flaws in the OP knife. Tom
Thanks Tom. Now the question is what happens to the knife. Total Destruction is the only way to end it. My Dad had two out of hundreds. A very small percentage. I took both out of circulation forever. One with the .308 and one with the 12 gauge 00 buck shot. Only way to end it in my opinion. Whatever tool one uses up to them
Scratching fake in the blade is not a viable option in my opinion.
Jerry
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Tom & Jerry ! I wondered about the etch but did not know bone was not used for this pattern until mid 1960's.
I should have picked up the pattern # markings as not properly done but rest of features require a familiarity with Case to spot.
Thanks for the lesson. I do appreciate it. I like to learn one new knife 'fact' every day. There is no end of the need to learn to fully enjoy this hobby.
kj

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”