Very Suspicious Cattaraugus on E'bay

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
patch1

Very Suspicious Cattaraugus on E'bay

Post by patch1 »

This Catt. looks all wrong to me. Maybe a Frankenknife for Halloween.
Never heard of a Catt. Trapper. Lots of Folding Hunters though.
Numbers don't add up. Listed as 31079. Would mean 3 blades, 1 bolster, 07 cotton sampler, 9 bone.
Lots of bidders, am I missing something?
Patch1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cattara ... Swx2dYENRX
Attachments
cat2.jpg
Snowbird Eh?
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Very Suspicious Cattaraugus on E'bay

Post by gsmith7158 »

Patch1 it's laying on the red carpet so there's a good chance that it could be incorrect.
That being said I have seen so many Catts that have been cobbled and exposed by the experts here on AAPK that I would be afraid to buy one on ebay. As a matter of fact the only one I have came from an AAPK member. The stories of truckloads of Catt parts being bought and sold by nefarious individuals have completely soured me on the brand. Of course if one would put in all the time it takes to completely research a brand I'm Sure there are some great ones out there but I already have a couple of other brands I focus on and I'm afraid if I take on another one my head may explode. I'm sure a Catt expert will be along shortly.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Cattaraugus definitely made that pattern and with that shield. Frame is right. I'll have to look at the blades but my guess is that the knife is right.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

What's the true story of "The Red Background"? Is the color red known to hide a lot of flaws? Would seem to make a good contrast with most knife scale colors and blade steel....sup with that?
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:What's the true story of "The Red Background"? Is the color red known to hide a lot of flaws? Would seem to make a good contrast with most knife scale colors and blade steel....sup with that?
The red background generally signifies a knife being sold by Sportkolbs a seller who is notorious for selling knives from collections he has bought whether they are right or not with dubious and sometimes incorrect descriptions. This is one of his knives.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

gsmith7158 wrote:
SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:What's the true story of "The Red Background"? Is the color red known to hide a lot of flaws? Would seem to make a good contrast with most knife scale colors and blade steel....sup with that?
The red background generally signifies a knife being sold by Sportkolbs a seller who is notorious for selling knives from collections he has bought whether they are right or not with dubious and sometimes incorrect descriptions. This is one of his knives.
Here is a link to a recent discussion of this seller and his ethics.
And lots of stuff about knife making history. A very informative thread.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... =2&t=49934
Mel
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That thing really looks like a Remington. Did Remington make knives for Cattaraugus? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Ferguson's book shows a similar Yukon, same shield, same pulls. Pattern number B2929.

Wondering if the seller misread a "B" as a "3".

But, I did not see the OP knife.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I believe the knife is correct. The pattern number is actually B1079.

Here is one I have, unlike the OP knife this has not been cleaned.

Very often knives are presumed incorrect based on misprints, misreadings and other misinformation. I believe the "read the knife" quote applies here.
Attachments
IMG_3682[1].JPG
IMG_3683[1].JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I believe the "red background signifies a fake" was started by Bernard Levine. He certainly stated this many times in his BF forum. He said this for any seller using red as a background.
But it is nonsense. I have seen sellers new to ebay selling their deceased father's knife collection and using red cloth for a background. They are not trying to deceive and the knives are fine.
If you avoid every knife with a red background you will miss some excellent collectible knives.
If you trust every knife that has a background other than red, you will end up with some fakes.
Ignore the background color and "read the knife, not what the markings happen to say"
kj
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Cattaraugus did make that pattern. I've seen a few that were original. Not sure if this one was put together with parts from busted or broken knives though. I have bought a few knives from him but very few and only if they are not cleaned. I'd love to have one of these but am not going after this one.
patch1

Post by patch1 »

Thanks fellas.
I can always get the information I need by going to this site for answers.

btrwtr That is a fine looking example. Like it better than the cleaned one for sale by Sportcobs.
I could not find B1079 listed in any of my books or catalogs.
I do have a B2929 and the construction and blades are quite similar.

Patch1
Snowbird Eh?

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”