Need some help Case Tested era.....

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Landersknives

Need some help Case Tested era.....

Post by Landersknives »

eBay item number: 201699144588
Just checking (cause I am a novice right now) Case Tested era hunter. Does the Tang Stamp look right and is the shield from a later Case knife? I am not anywhere close to an expert so I thought I would ask the collective years of experience here at AAPK. ::tu:: or ::td:: ?
Attachments
Hunter.jpg
Hunter1.jpg
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
RalphAlsip

Re: Need some help Case Tested era.....

Post by RalphAlsip »

My read is that this knife is a 6165 with 2nd cut bone handles. The tang stamp and shield look good to me. You probably saw the back handle - it is badly damaged. The front handle also has a significant crack. The blade looks to be in good condition given its age. It's a mild concern for me that the pin in the top bolster is as visible as it is, which could mean the knife has been apart and that might explain why the blade condition is better than the handles.

Here is a link to a recently sold Case Tested XX 5165 if you are interested to compare stamping and shield.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232116260520
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Knife is fine no red flags on authenticity.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Thanks guys. Steve I have both your books on Case knives and I read and reference them often. Do you think you might put out a book on just the xx era and before? Gentlemen your help is greatly appreciated. I could not tell if the shield was pinned or not. Again I thank you both very much. :) My inexperience in dealing with the older knives is my downfall ::facepalm:: but I am working on it!
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Landers, here is another comparison example for you. This example has the earlier Tested shield with the "C" that is more closed than on the knife you asked about. Tang stamping is similar. The handle jigging style is similar although color is not quite the same. Both blades have the nail nick in the high pull location. And finally my knife has a flat ground blade while the knife you asked about has a Saber ground blade. The blade on the Case XX 6165 is a little larger than on the Tested XX. The difference is noticeable in the curvature between the nail nick and the tip of the blade. This blade size / shape difference is more readily observable when you have a side-by-side comparison with blade closed.
Attachments
Case Tested XX 6165 2nd Cut
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Wow what a beautiful knife! Thanks for showing it for comparison Ralph. You have been a great help my friend.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Wow, Ralph, INCREDIBLE hunter! ::tu::

Seeing stuff like that keeps me humble because I know I can't play with the big boys in their sandbox just yet. :oops:
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”