Case '16-20 fish knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Tsar Bomba

Case '16-20 fish knife

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Not too sure about this one...
s-l1600 (1).jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-S-2-BLADE- ... 1812143086

Given the apparent age from the tang stamp, wouldn't the master have either the opener or the fish scaler integrated? I don't often see this combination of blades on the truly old Case fish knives, and the top-down view doesn't look all that right either. Perhaps it could be the suspect re-handling job throwing me off, I don't know, but the stamp almost looks too good and I'm suspicious of how that crack in the liner got there.
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case '16-20 fish knife

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm guessing it's a legit but re-handled 32095F. Case used "CASE'S STAINLESS" stamp like the one on this knife on the 32095F for a few years. The blade configuration looks correct for an 095 Apparently this pattern, like some other patterns, was made both with clip blade on mark side position sometimes and with fish scaler blade in mark side position sometimes. Examples are pictured both ways in Sargents. HOWEVER: the 095 pattern was a 5 inch knife. The seller's description says his is 4-3/4 inches. Maybe he didn't measure correctly. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Definitely rehandled. All of the ones l have seen had the Case's Stainless stamped on the disgorger blade. I have seen that stamp on a 61093F but it had the scaler on the clip blade. Length should be 5 inches closed on the 095.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Good to know, thanks! I was suspicious due to the blades and the measurement. DIdn't earlier Case fish knives have the scaler on the back of the clip in a one-blade configuration? Was that an alternative, and did the caplifter show up on both blades over its history? I've been trying to get my hands on a nice example of the fish knife (I've got enough "land-based" toothpicks already) but I can afford to be super picky and ask questions, it's not a huge priority.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Tony here is a single blade fish knife with the scaler on the top but I have been told that it probably started out as a two blade.
Attachments
20160229_204330_1000x750.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Case had three fish knife patterns back in the day - 095, 093, and 098. None were ever made in stag. The stag on that one is new stag anyway.

I suspect the seller just made an error in giving the length, that one is an 095.

The 093 had a liner lock clip blade with a scaler back, second blade hook remover. The 098 was the big SEA BEAST.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Great info, thanks everyone! ::tu::

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”