Case congress knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
roofsc

Case congress knife

Post by roofsc »

no, I will not be bidding on this knife but....... I just don't know enough about older case knives, my questions are :
Is it legit?
I know value is is perceived value vs. want, but what would this knife be valued be ifs it were your cash?
I don't get the value placed buy the owner, If i could confirm it was legit and "IT" was the last knife i needed, maybe $750 +/_
but i would have to think long and hard

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-SONS-POCKE ... SwwpdW-HKw
Attachments
Case.jpg
Case.jpg (17.6 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
" there is a collection in my accumulation ? "
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case congress knife

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Interesting knife Paul. If it's legit I think it's possibly worth what he's asking, to the right buyer. That price is certainly out of my league - I'd have to get a divorce first and then after that I for sure wouldn't be able to afford it anyway. :lol: Blades look right to me for that age knife, but don't often see them that age with pearl that good. But it's possible. Just my speculation, I'm certainly no expert. Haven't personally seen enough Case & Sons knives to offer any thoughts regarding the stamp or anything else. It will be interesting to see opinions from others.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

The knife looks legit to me. Steve and others will probably be along later to take a look but I don't see anything that looks suspicious.
Rick.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

The pin on the mark side nearest to the master blade is placed higher than the opposite end.May mean nothing.
Roger
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

peanut740 wrote:The pin on the mark side nearest to the master blade is placed higher than the opposite end.May mean nothing.
Could be the mark side handle has been replaced. I don''t see and of the characteristic yellowing of the pearl that I would expect. Hard to tell with pictures sometimes.

At any rate I think the price is ridiculously high. JMO
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

He mentions that the handles are replacements. I think the knife is real. I have several of these old case knives with that stamp so there are a lot more than 10 of these around. That stamp was supposed to have been used for a short period after Harvey Platts joined WRCase & Son around 1903 or so. Some very knowledgable Case people think that the stamp was used later in the WR period as well, particularly on small knives.
Good luck to him on the price he is asking :roll:

Tom
Gatorfleas

Post by Gatorfleas »

My point exactly Tom....the handles are replaced...not orignal....would that not severly impact the price??? Fleas
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Kinda steep for a knife that's been apart and had the scales replaced but that's just me.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

I believe this knife is a Case & Sons 8368 pattern made between 1903 and 1905. There is a picture on page 74 of Jim Sargent's 7th edition of American Premium Knives and Razors. While I said earlier that I believe the knife is legit, I do agree that the handles may have been changed. Jim has the knife at $2000 but this would be for a knife in near mint condition. From the pictures and considering the handles may have been replaced I'd rate this knife as very good +.
Rick
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Listing expired, unsold, and not relisted...Hopefully he's not trying to pawn it off on some poor unsuspecting collector for that much face to face.

And he thought it should fetch $5000... :shock: ::facepalm::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”