Case Tested XX 5254

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
RalphAlsip

Case Tested XX 5254

Post by RalphAlsip »

The stag and the tang stamping look questionable to me on this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351784638207?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Attachments
eBay Case Tested XX 5254 #1.jpg
eBay Case Tested XX 5254 #2.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Tested XX 5254

Post by peanut740 »

Yeah I just saw that listing. ::td::
Roger
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Jerry, looks like a USA era Knife that been cold stamp and a tested shield glue on ::td:: ::td:: FAKE

Larry
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

The spey doesn't show a nail nick in the view shown and should. Is the cap right for a tested?
steve99f
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Not even a restamped Case. A restamped Queen.
With new handles.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I sent the seller a message advising him the knife was not right and gave some details what is wrong with it. Recommended to check his references and do eBay search for Case XX 5254 Trapper, most easy, quickest check being he would not find another Case Trapper with a nail nick on pile side of the spay blade. After a couple of very courteous emails back and forth he thanked me and said he was pulling the knife off and closing the auction.

He says he's liquidating a huge collection that belonged to a man whose kids didn't know much about knives. He believes 99% of the knives are "really good" but there may be a couple of items such as this one. He ended by saying he appreciated my respectful and helpful emails, and that another guy "laid into me telling me what a terrible person I was for trying to sell this knife."

The auction was in fact closed yesterday afternoon. Based on this experience I wouldn't hesitate to buy a knife from the guy, as long as you know what you're getting. IMHO he just doesn't know much about knives and made an honest mistake with no intent to sell a fake.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

He has 198 knives listed. I looked at the one's I liked most of which are barlows. There is one inparticular, a 1977 case 6209 1/2 with stag handles. Which threw up a red flag to me. A few more that I could see the blade rivet in the bolster. That also made me think it might have been worked on
snowedinhere

Post by snowedinhere »

Greetings:

I am ebay user id bernaoley, the seller in one ebay you all are speaking of. I appreciate your understanding with the Tested XX Trapper. We have been full time dealers of antiques for over 25 years, but dealers of new Case Knives for only about two years. We are trying to become experts in the knife business, and learning more and more everyday, but still are not there yet obviously. Anyways, if any of the knives we have listed look questionable, please let me know. I make most of my money selling on eBay and the last thing I want to do is to put that in jeopardy by selling something that is fake. Also, if you feel a knife has been worked on, please let me know so I can add it to the description.

I will be making a post shortly of a Tested Case Knife, 5231 capped Jack Knife that I would like to get your opinions on.

Best regards,
Kevin
snowedinhere

Post by snowedinhere »

Attached are photographs of a 3 3/4 inch 5231 Tested Jack Knife. Everything about it looks fine to me on this knife... but I have only found two examples of this knife being sold on eBay, once in 2007 and one in 2015. Both of those looked similar, but had smaller tested tang stamps than this one. There are no other markings, like a pattern number that I can find on this knife. The part that worries me, is this knife just seems to be in such good condition. Let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions, let me know.
Attachments
20160719_142348.jpg
20160719_142358.jpg
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for joining AAPK - welcome aboard! Thank you also for your integrity in wanting to represent your knife products accurately and honestly. ::tu:: If you read through the many posts here on the forum related to questionable knives I believe you will see acceptance for people who make mistakes and try to correct them. You will not see acceptance for people who are believed to knowingly and continually misrepresent their products. It is a common practice here on the forum to post questionable knives to discuss. It helps us all learn how to evaluate knives. I hope you are able to compartmentalize comments about your knife are not comments about you as a person.

Another thank you for trying to find and list knives for us to look at and buy :) It looks like you have Steve Pfieffer's excellent book Collecting Case Knives. Here is another resource I recommend for older Case knives:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Premium ... ent+knives

There might be other, and better, places to buy it. I have the electronic PDF version on my computer and find it very useful and easy to search.

Now regarding the knife you asked about... I do collect old Case pocket knives, however I don't collect this particular Case pattern so there might be nuances about this pattern that would look odd to me that are actually ok. I will say the knife looks questionable to me. I have attached an annotated picture with my concerns. Note I removed the background book pages from the original photo to make it easier to read my annotations.

Someone please correct my analysis if wrong... I believe Case did not make 5231 in the tested era. I believe the correct pattern number would be a 52031. Therefore, my biggest concern is that the knife you are asking about has 2 bolsters and I believe it should have only one bolster (aka bare head). For reference, I attached a snippet from one the Tested era price lists for the 31 pattern which does not show a 5231 or 5231 1/2.

So, if I were a potential buyer for this knife... I would expect the seller to be able to explain to me why it is OK for this knife to have 2 bolsters when it doesn't appear that Case manufactured this pattern in the Tested era with 2 bolsters.

Please be aware there are situations where something like this might occur. There are many exceptions in the world of old Case knives. Stuff like this is what makes antique knife collecting simultaneously frustrating and interesting. :)

Hope all this was helpful.
Attachments
52031 1/2 Knife Comparison and Assessment
52031 1/2 Knife Comparison and Assessment
Excerpt from Case Tested price list for 31 pattern
Excerpt from Case Tested price list for 31 pattern
Case 31 pattern list from Tested Price List.jpg (100.54 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The posted 5231 1/2 is indeed a bad fake. Jerry has pointed out most of the issues. Most likely made out of a 70's delrin 6231 1/2. Jerry is correct, in Tested a 52031 1/2 was made but not a 5231 1/2.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
snowedinhere

Post by snowedinhere »

I really appreciate everyone's assistance with these. These two knives will not make there way back into the marketplace. What I may do is collect counterfeits and put them on display in our shop for others to see and learn from.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”