Catt Blade welded?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
cattaraugus57

Catt Blade welded?

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Does the Main Blade look strange to anyone?...like it was possibly welded on ?

couldn't copy the link sorry.

eBay item number:

Attachments
main blade.jpg
main blade2.jpg
main blade3.jpg
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
bigden

Re: Catt Blade welded?

Post by bigden »

Looks normal to me. ::shrug::
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

It looks fine to me.
Rick
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

That'd be first rate work, if welded. Wouldn't be a user knife, if in my collection, regardless--but, wish it was there
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Maybe cleaned? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Don't see it eh?...the strange line right above the top of the Tang or the discoloration and grind marks in that same area?..(You're right though..it would be some great work.) ::hmm::
Ok...guess it's just Me...I think the Nail nick looks a bit large as well. ::shrug::
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

In the 2nd picture there appears to be what might look like some slag or a bit of a bead that stands out. I would probably never noticed it had it not been suggested. Pictures can be deceiving, so much better to be able to hold it in your hand and then decide :) .
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Kinda hard to tell from the pics. Looks normal to me, although the blade has a fair amount of loss, and may have been reshaped and cleaned some. That's what looks funky to me, the size of the blade.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CATTARA ... Sw0QFXCnjb

Hope this link works. This seller has over 7,000 items listed, mostly toys, but, with quite a few knives sprinkled throughout. He says he is selling a collection? Lot's of his knives look good, but, there are a few that look quite suspect? Not calling anything a fake, just hoping someone else will take a look at his other items and make some comment. He has a couple of Keen Kutter barlows and a large 2 blade Kinfolks, in particular, with blades that don't look quite right to me? Maybe just heavily cleaned and made to look like an old glazed finish?
Dan
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

He has 175 knives listed, many are quite collectible. I did not examine any in -depth, but a quick look at 3 of them & all looked fine. His asking prices are too high.
kj
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Thanks for taking a look, Kootenay Joe.
Dan
Dan
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I'm far from an expert on such matters as this but there's something that just does not look right to me where the blade and tang meet. It's especially troubling on the back side of the blade.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I used my photo editor to greatly enlarge the picture and there is a weld pattern there. Whoever did that was very, very good and should be building skyscrapers instead of doctoring knives.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Still not convinced it has been welded, cleaned and pits from rust maybe. If it was welded it is great work, top of the blade and blade edge are straight. Used to look at Garand and M14 receivers that were welded and you could always find a depression no matter how good the weld.

I bought some of the Barlows from the seller, he is not a knife dealer , mainly vintage toys, just moving the collection. The Barlows are interesting, all appear in unused condition from roughly the same era, all have some degree of light storage rust. The sellers prices are all over the place on the Barlows, a few were under priced and a few over but how often do you find new knives from this era, probably overpaid by 50 bucks but I don't mind paying for condition.
Attachments
IMG_5500.jpg
IMG_5501.jpg
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Thanks for posting those, JohnR. I also bought one of his barlows, even though I was not totally sure of it. Haven't received it yet.
Dan
Dan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

John, I love those Barlows, especially the Simmons.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Nice Barlows!

Thanks gsmith......Yeah I knew I wasn't seeing things there but everyone's opinion is different. ::shrug::
To think I almost pulled the Trigger on it too! ::doh:: ::barf::
The Knife as of today(July7th) is still listed...
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

::shrug:: My opinion is that it has not been welded. It would require a lot of work to do it properly, first the blade would have to be removed then welded, then re-heat treated, then ground and polished. But when welding, it would have probably splattered weld beads on the tang that would have to be ground off, thus removing the tang stamp. It's not impossible but I believe very unlikely. And welding high carbon steel you also stand the chance of it warping and getting brittle. Just my opinion, I guess we will never know for sure. Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Catt, I think what you are looking at is just a series of abrasive scratches on the blade, not a weld line. Looks like someone did some rough and unadvised cleaning on the blade.

This seller has a good number of bad fakes listed in his knife inventory. Some outright and complete fakes, some reworks and re-handled knives. All knives with older and rarer tang stamps. I don't know that he is aware that they are fakes.

I'd advise anyone here contemplating buying one of his older BUY-IT NOW knives to post it on AAPK and solicit some opinions before pulling the trigger. He does have a good return policy.

Here are just a few of the bad knives he currently has listed.

FAKE http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SCHATT- ... SwWTRWuqnJ

FAKE http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-JOHN-PR ... Swx-9Wv9f0

RE-HANDLED http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kinfolk ... Sw74FXO8A0

FAKE http://www.ebay.com/itm/W-R-Case-Sons-L ... Swu1VW4OyY
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”