Its hard to believe but this is a fake

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Its hard to believe but this is a fake

Post by Shearer »

Jerry mine came in a plain white box no writing.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Grant you bought it and sent it to me. Did mine come in a box? Or can't your feeble old mind remember either. :mrgreen:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Jerry I think yours came in a white box.

Grant
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I got one in today plain white box, good looking knife for the money. To be quite honest it's a good looking knife period.It will slice paper and rake the hair off your arm right out the box. Very sturdy feeling knife 4" long, inch wide and half inch thick but doesn't feel that large to me, fits my hand nicely, I'm gonna give her some carry time. ::nod::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

I sent an email to Grohmann this morning:
Hello
Thank you for your previous reply. I already know the answer to this question: are all of your knives made in Canada, or do you have some contract made offshore? As I said, I know they are all made in Canada, just seeking a written confirmation for some of the doubters on a knife forum (http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com).
One other question, though, why did you go with a tang etch on the 340S, as opposed to a stamped logo as on all of your other knives?
Thanks and regards
Dan

Here is the response:
Hi Dan
Yes they are all made here in Pictou upstairs in the factory. If you are ever in the area we offer free factory tours and you can see the knives actually being made.
There is unfortunately not total consistancy with the knife makers when you are doing things by HAND verses big companies that laser out or whatever by machines overseas :)
We don't tang stamp them all, we etch some and tang stamp others and it all depends who is doing them... as you will see both the tang stamps and the etches change from one batch to the next, even the angle is slightly different, some like a smaller font, etc You will even see some of the fixed blades with etches rather than tang stamps. This is left up to the knifemakers as long as they get the information right and it is within a certain tolerance.. BUT if they happen to stamp or etch them wrong (which does sometimes happen) they are usually just made into seconds and sold at half off in the store, depending on the error (we won't sell a carbon knife that was accidently stamped stainless..they would take off the mark and remark it, then sell it at a discount). A lot of people also ask why one knife is sharpened a bit more than the other, or flat ground slightly thinner than another, or the thumb grip it slightly longer on this one than that one, etc etc.. which again, is up to the knifemaker himself as they are handmade and how that particular person happens to do it within a certain degree.
Thanks for your inquiry.
best regards,
GROHMANN KNIVES LTD
PO Box 40, 116 Water St, Pictou NS B0K 1H0
Ph 1.902.485.4224 Toll Free 1.888.7.KNIVES
Fx 1.902.485.5872
http://www.grohmannknives.com http://www.gknives.com

Dan
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I do not understand what is going on Grohmann insists all of their knives are made (by hand !) in Nova Scotia, yet a seller in China sells an identical knife for about 1/4th of the price.
I have a China one on it's way, could be waiting for me at the P.O. now. The only way i can see to resolve this is to order the same model knife directly from Grohmann in N.S. and then compare the 2 knives in every detail.
kj
PCwizard

Post by PCwizard »

Well he is a honest seller when it comes to customer service!

I bought one of his other knives, when I got it yesterday there was a defect with the liner lock. I contacted the seller about doing a return (I was expecting a big nightmare having to get eBay involved.... you know the works).

Boy did he surprised me!

Without any argument, the seller apologize. He then returned my money in full and told me to keep the knife and said 'I would rather lose money than a customer". WOW .....You don't see that very often with sellers and I was very surprised that a Chinese seller did that. Had to give him 5 stars and order another knife. Ordering the Grohmann.

Other then the liner lock problem this knife is feels very solid, interesting shape. just something different that caught my eye.
Attachments
DSCN2997.JPG
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

kootenay joe wrote:I do not understand what is going on Grohmann insists all of their knives are made (by hand !) in Nova Scotia, yet a seller in China sells an identical knife for about 1/4th of the price.
I have a China one on it's way, could be waiting for me at the P.O. now. The only way i can see to resolve this is to order the same model knife directly from Grohmann in N.S. and then compare the 2 knives in every detail.
kj
The whole deal has me a little confused as well. I will be very interested to see your comparison.
Dan
Dan
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I will also be looking forward to your comparing the two knives KJ. I did a little whittling with mine yesterday and it made a pile of little sticks out of a ole tree limb. Still sharp , when it gets a little duller I'll see if I can get an edge on her. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Gary, wow !! it would not be possible to give better customer service than that. Very impressive.
I have bought quite a few knives from sellers in China over the past 8 years and every one has been a positive experience.
The people i have dealt with have been polite, straight forward, helpful & honest.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I now have the Grohmann folding knife from the seller in China. I don't want to spend the ~ $100cdn to get a Grohmann from their factory in Nova Scotia. Does anyone here already have one ? If so i could send you my China Grohmann for direct comparison. No need to return it.
Not sure if it might be helpful, but there are 15 'teeth' cut into the blade spine. Count yours if you have a Canadian sourced Grohmann.(if same model of course)
Dimensions: closed, just over 4", open just over 7" ("just" = under 1/16")
kj
Attachments
Picture 012.jpg
Picture 013.jpg
Picture 010.jpg
Picture 011.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Found something:
Grohmann's website shows the "R340S Mini Russell Lock Blade" which looks just like my China Russell. The description is: "The new R340S sports our classic rosewood handles with nickel-silver bolsters and pins to give it an extra special touch."
But in their picture the bolster and pins look more like brass. Depending upon exact alloy mix, nickel-silver can have a brass hue. Also the lighting affects how nickel-silver's color is seen. So likely the Grohmann N.S. knife does have N-S bolsters and pins.
My China Grohmann has brass bolsters and brass pins (and brass liners), and 15 teeth filed into the blade spine. Enlarging the R340S picture on the Grohmann site i count 17 teeth.
From the Grohmann reply Dan received it sounds like these truly are made one at a time by hand (using whatever stamp they feel like, etc.) rather than the parts all identically stamped out. This could mean that the guy who cuts the teeth, does as many teeth as he feels like, i.e. not always the same number of teeth.
However now the balance of evidence is tilting towards there being 2 different knives here: one made in N.S. and one an unauthorized reproduction made in China.
Maybe, i'm not 100% convinced yet
kj
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Hi Joe
I bought one of the Canadian ones a couple of days ago. I count 19 teeth on the blade back on mine. Also, the bolsters on mine sure look like brass to me? A couple of pictures of the box below. Will post pics of knife later today, grandkids will be here momentarily.
I would feel better to send you my Canadian one to compare to your Chinese, rather than the other way around. If you PM me your shipping address, I will get it out to you next week.
Dan
Attachments
RIMG0552.JPG
RIMG0553.JPG
Dan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Just so we're all speaking the same language, mine has 17 "teeth" with "teeth as are designated by the red arrow in the picture shown below. Notice the grooves are not all the same depth.
Attachments
DSC06087-crop with arrow.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Jerry working on your picture mine has 17 teeth.

Grant
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am counting the 'teeth', not the grooves between them. (just to be clear). The grooves on mine are all of the same depth except for the first groove at either end which is more shallow.
kj
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

I miscounted, and was counting grooves. Mine has 17 teeth, same as Jerry's and Shearer's. Here are a few pictures. First one is not very good, but the best indoor light I had. From the photos, I really can't see any difference between Kootenay Joe's bought from China one and my bought in a local store which buys from Grohmann.
Dan
Attachments
RIMG0554.JPG
RIMG0555.JPG
RIMG0558.JPG
Dan
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Mine is like Jerry's,and KJ to the naked eye my grooves looked uniform but under the loop not so much. ::nod:: ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Is it my imagination, or could one vaguely conclude the grooves could be a signature. Look at Jerry's knife. Third groove in on each end is shallow. How about spacing on kootenay joe's? ::shrug::
Joe
PCwizard

Post by PCwizard »

So the only way to prove the Chinese one is a fake, is to send it to the Grohmann Factory and ask them if it's a real or fake.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I've settled on the conclusion that every one of the model under discussion here is made in China and Grohmann is lying through their teeth about it. If someone can provide conclusive proof that is not so, I can be swayed but until that time comes, I'm done. Carry on.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well Jerry what is your position on whether this is a modern tactical knife or a traditional clasp knife. Enquiring minds wat to know.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

There is a Canadian purchased one of these on it's way to kootenay joe right now for him to compare with his Chinese purchased one.
Dan
Dan
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I think Jerry has hit the nail on the head. ::nod:: ::sneaky:: :x ::td::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am in agreement with what is said above but i want to investigate first hand, so:
i have my Grohmann from a seller in China
Dan has sent me his same model Grohmann which he bought in a well established Saskatoon sports store. This store believes they are selling a knife made in Pictou Nova Scotia in the Grohmann factory.
i have just ordered the same knife(R340S) from Grohmann, on their website as a 'second' for $41. The full price is $82.
Email from Grohmann says that this knife is discounted because of a small cosmetic blemish but it is otherwise identical to the full priced knives and was made by them in their N.S. factory.
When all 3 knives are here i will weigh them and make careful measurements of handle & blade, and then post results and pictures.
kj

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”