Tested 6165 SAB

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Tested 6165 SAB

Post by btrwtr »

What do you think of this Case Tested 6265 SAB?

I don't like it. Looks like a nice old frame and handles with a not so nice fake Tested blade to me.

I trying to not let the fact that this seller sells more bad knives than good knives influence me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281963922788?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Attachments
6165 test a.jpg
6165 test c.jpg
6165 test b.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RalphAlsip

Re: Tested 6165 SAB

Post by RalphAlsip »

Wayne, I saw this example, too and I don't like it. My concerns are:

1. Drilled bolster and bail. I don't recall seeing this before on a Tested 65 (knife could be right and my lack of experience is what is wrong)
2. Tang stamp doesn't look right which supports the point you make about the blade overall
3. One of the bolster pins shows prominently which could support the blade replacement hypothesis
4. Minor concern... My eye is accustomed to more color variation in the bone when it is worm grooved

A comparison Tested XX 6265 tang stamp is provided.
Attachments
Case Tested XX 6165 Tang Stamp.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Good observations Jerry.

If you look at the tang stamp very closely I believe you can see this is a Case XX blade that has been cleaned excessively and stamped with a fake Tested stamp. The kick of the blade has been filed down to fit the Tested frame. I think the handles and frame are okay. The ragged edges of the blade pivot pin as seen in the bolsters is a bad sign.

This seller has graduated from selling fake celluloid KA-BAR and Western States knives to fake Case knives.

Wayne

olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Looks like a case knife that has had a Cold Stamped blade put in. I wouldn't want it in my pile. ::td::

Tom
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

Yep shaved tang, cold stamp, kick altered, bolster pin bugered up. I agree re-blade.
Listen with your eyes, it's the only way you can believe what you hear.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Agree it looks like a legit frame and handles with some very nice worm-groove bone. Hard to fake that bone I think. As others have pointed out, the blade is wrong.

Jerry, the bail doesn't bother me. In fact there's a picture of a Tested 6165R and a 6265SAB-R on page 272 in Sargent's 7th edition. It's in a display case, one of 28 patterns with bails in the display (also has a 5165SAB-R and a 5265SAB-R). Difficult to tell for sure from the picture but looks like at least a couple of the knives shown may also have worm-groove bone handles, and the same shield as the OP knife. There's a good bit of additional interesting info about the display and knives, which it says were available as special order with bails for the boating industry, fishing, yachting, and the military.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

Regardless of it being a fake it looks like a nice handy EDC, only of you could get it at a cheap price. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

There was recently another Tested 6165 with a bail up on Ebay - I bid but lost..not sure if this is the same knife.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Steve, It is the same knife with the exception the knife you saw had the original flat ground blade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage1920-194 ... 7675.l2557

The buyer of this knife, with feed back of 2549, bought the knife for 140.50, installed a fake blade and fipped it for $270.99. Notice the seller of the OP knife also has feedback of 2549.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281963922788?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Here are pictures of the op knife with the fake saber ground blade (first 2 pics) and the sale you saw with the flat blade for comparison. Same knife frame with different blades.

I would call this a with a jip.
Attachments
compb1.jpg
compb2.jpg
compa1.jpg
compa2.jpg

Wayne

RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Well it is very disappointing to me that someone would intentionally ruin a knife and then be rewarded for doing so. ::td::

Wayne, thanks for connecting the dots ::tu::
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Wayne; thanks for digging that up and posting it.

I concur with you and Jerry. The original frame/bail is genuine, blade is a restamp. The seller of the rebladed knife has a LONG history of selling fakes and reworks.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
wlf

Post by wlf »

It's a shame eBay can't be more transparent.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I posted this knife because it fit the description of counterfeit. After Steve's post I remembered, as he did, seeing another similar knife. A Tested 6165 with a bail isn't the type of knife you see everyday and I didn't think that if Steve had bid he would have been bidding on a fake.

I went back and found the original knife on eBay and sure enough it was an honest knife now turned into a blatant fake.

Jerry, I agree it is disappointing someone would take such a fine old knife and ruin it. Happens all the time I'm afraid.

Lyle, I agree it is a shame eBay can't be more transparent. Sometimes if you look hard enough you can see the truth. It seems that warrior515 and eBay have one thing in common. They don't care as long as they get their money.

Wayne

RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Sorry meant to start a new thread for this...

Curious to see how folks feel about this Case Tested XX 61050:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262355028962?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

What dampens my interest in this knife is the "C61050SAB" pattern number stamp on the back of the blade. This pattern number variation is what is stamped on the XX era of this pattern. I have seen "C61050" stamped on Bradford era coke bottles, but have not seen the letters "SAB" stamped on a pre XX coke bottle pattern and I have not seen the pattern number on a Tested coke bottle pattern.

Except for the pattern number stamp the rest of the knife looks reasonable to me.

Your thoughts much appreciated.
Attachments
Case Tested XX 61050 with SAB stamp #2.jpg
Case Tested XX 61050 with SAB stamp #1.jpg
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I have seen a few other Tested examples with the C61050 SAB number.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”