XX 6488 LP

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
jlw257

XX 6488 LP

Post by jlw257 »

Everything about this knife is questionable . Rogers Bone ?

Larry

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/322025016242
Attachments
image.jpeg
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: XX 6488 LP

Post by gsmith7158 »

Is that yellow bone. Don't remember that one. Looks like that shield was made yesterday. Don't see an pins there either.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Larry,
Definitely not Rogers Bone. I would be very interested in what knifeaholic or Bladerunner, aka Steve and Gary, had to say about this knife. It does look like an old Case Congress knife but like you said, poses several questions?

Tom
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I don't collect 88's and don't follow them, but it looks suspect to me. If I were considering a purchase the things I would investigate further are: bone color, size and shape of shield, where is pattern number stamp. I looked at the other items for sale and recently sold and did not see any other Case XX knives.
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

That looks a bit like a Case Classic to me. And they did offer a yellow bone, and that shield looks like some of the Case Classics I own and have seen. Case Classics were outsourced to Bluegrass Cutlery. I have heard some folks say that Bluegrass outsourced some of them to Queen. However, the Case Classics carried a 64088 pattern number if I recall correctly. I could be wrong, though. My wife tells me I'm wrong all the time.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

IMO the knife looks legit but it's not of the XX era. ::hmm:: Which means the tang stamps were altered? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Is there any significance is the 1940-1955 date listed in the knife's description, since that stamp always seems to be '40-'64? The "book" shows that knife pattern being made into the '70s and in '78 being 100% delrin handled.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

hardman wrote:That looks a bit like a Case Classic to me. And they did offer a yellow bone, and that shield looks like some of the Case Classics I own and have seen. Case Classics were outsourced to Bluegrass Cutlery. I have heard some folks say that Bluegrass outsourced some of them to Queen. However, the Case Classics carried a 64088 pattern number if I recall correctly. I could be wrong, though. My wife tells me I'm wrong all the time.
Case Classic 88's were made in house by Case, along with the gunboat, saddlehorn, and 54 trappers..........you my want to kiss your wife on the cheek. :wink:
Roger
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

jlw257 wrote:Everything about this knife is questionable . Rogers Bone ?

Larry

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/322025016242
I have to agree. First and foremost I'd have to say that this is a very lucrative knife to counterfeit.

The color, texture and lack of color match of the bone doesn't look good.

Blades look they have been buffed.

Shield looks odd. Inletting looks sloppy.

The handle pins look rough viewed from inside the frame.

I'd like to see a pattern number.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: " I have heard some folks say that Bluegrass outsourced some of them to Queen."
Bluegrass Cutlery has never made a knife. It's an office with 2 guys in it. Same as Moore Maker, but different location, different guys.
kj
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

To me it looks like an authentic long pull Case 88 that has been heavily reworked. Buffed up blades, new handles that are not anything resembling any older Case bone, and an odd shield. I do think that the blades/frame are original since it would be very difficult for a knife mechanic to duplicate the old long pull blades (impossible, really).

Yes there was a Case Classics 88 (one of the four classics patterns that Case actually made) but the tooling was a lot different on these as compared to the older 88's.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

knifeaholic wrote:To me it looks like an authentic long pull Case 88 that has been heavily reworked. Buffed up blades, new handles that are not anything resembling any older Case bone, and an odd shield. I do think that the blades/frame are original since it would be very difficult for a knife mechanic to duplicate the old long pull blades (impossible, really).

Yes there was a Case Classics 88 (one of the four classics patterns that Case actually made) but the tooling was a lot different on these as compared to the older 88's.
I agree Steve.

I think this could be a rehandled Case XX 6488LP that may have originally been handled in rough black or other material that was damaged. There is no evidence of any spin marks on the handle rivets. The end rivets appear to be filed flush to the handles with no dome on the pins.

Sargent's last book (7th edition) lists the 6488LP pattern in a Tested stamp priced at $14,000 mint. The only 88 pattern that is priced higher is a Tested stamp in Winterbottom bone. I have never seen this knife listed in Roger's bone with a XX stamp.

Knife was listed on eBay starting at $.99 with no reserve. It will be interesting to see where this auction ends up.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I have not seen a coping blade like that before with that ledge almost like a punch. I certainly don't know enough about these older knives to say yay or nay on that point but I'm curious to know if some were made like that?

Greg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

FWIW the seller has it listed as a "Case Classic" and it is listed in the modern knife category.

I don`t know what he is referring to with that 1940-65 date.

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items). See the seller's listing ...
Brand:
Case Classic
AAPK Janitor
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "I don`t know what he is referring to with that 1940-65 date."
I read it as saying the pattern dates to 1940-65, not the knife. However his wording could lead one to think the knife is from 1940-65 which might be what he is hoping for. If challenged his defense is that it is listed in the "Modern" category.
Hence: recent knife, tricky listing ?
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Miller Bro`s wrote:FWIW the seller has it listed as a "Case Classic" and it is listed in the modern category.

I don`t know what he is referring to with that 1940-65 date.

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item (including handmade items). See the seller's listing ...
Brand:
Case Classic
Ha! I guess that settles that question. I don't believe the bidders realizie that though. I would think value would be $125 tops.

Greg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Another thing I just thought of, ihave owned a couple of those Case Classics and they werw marked onthe tang
Bradford, Pa.
19USA91
I would say there is still something amiss with this knife. Varey misleading ad at the least.

Greg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The knife is not a Case Classic.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”