Interesting knife to study Case Folding Hunter

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

Interesting knife to study Case Folding Hunter

Post by just bob »

Certainly not trying to sound like an expert here. I just noticed this and thought it was very interesting with several questionable details.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301842211906?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Using Steve's book as a reference he says the folding hunter with the undrilled bolsters were used very early in the XX era. He doesn't give a time frame for use of the Pakkawood but does say it was used in the XX era? Do the undrilled bolsters and Pakkawood handles raise a red flag? This knife also looks to have the older XX frame with the humped bolsters on the blade end. That style was changed according to Steve's book in about 1965 to a more gradual slope.
Then look at the knife and I think the center pin is copper - not brass. That certainly isn't right. Also look how the springs have dropped down a bit and aren't in line with the liners. That is a good indication that the knife has been opened up and a copper pin of smaller diameter was used to put it back together with. Even looks as though the handle has been cracked trying to reassemble the knife. You can't really see the knife well enough to see if one or both of the blades have been replaced but that is a good reason to open a knife up and the springs look to be original from the limited information. Looking at the picture of the knife with the Case XX stamping exposed you can see the tang stamp sits very low in the frame. I just looked at a few of my knives and they don't sit near that low. Wouldn't it be nice to hold this knife in your hand and look it over? Within just a few seconds you could determine its merit. As it is just makes an interesting example to learn from. Very interested in reading the comments from the experts.
Attachments
ooooo.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
XxTestedxX

Re: Interesting knife to study Case Folding Hunter

Post by XxTestedxX »

Besides the cracked handles the pins do not look original.

^^^^ obvious statement from a non expert lol

I cant open the ebay link (work computer) is the seller misleading this knife? how much

I love find these odd balls on ebay

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”