Cattaraugus - Fake er not - part 2

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
PCwizard

Cattaraugus - Fake er not - part 2

Post by PCwizard »

He took down the knife and relisted it

Same fake knife, I don't know how many time I've read not to buy off tommygg101

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Antique ... 1974753613?
SteelMyHeart85420

Re: Cattaraugus - Fake er not - part 2

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Almost 2700 sales and 100% feedback. Who bought what?
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The reason purveyors of fake, altered, reworked or cobbled together knives can maintain their 100% Ebay feedback is because nobody that really knows vintage knives are buying from them.

Students of vintage pocket cutlery, such as those that belong to AAPK or BF, talk about these knives, but we don't generally buy them. They are being bought by collectors or accumulators that are buying what they see and basing that on what they are being told by the seller, which are lies.

Then they turn around and "swap" positive feedbacks with the seller to boost their own ratings.

When I see the feedback ratings of the like of TommyGG or MyrtlFaye or BladeMan, I think of ignorance, because the people that bought the knives and posted the feedback are ignorant. They have entered upon a collecting endeavor, but have not bothered to educate themselves about the item they have chosen to collect.

They are overly eager to build their collection, so they make poor choices.

It's akin to grocery shopping when hungry. Not advisable, because you will buy something you don't need and waste your money.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Charlie nailed it, exactly.

Charlie's reasoning also explains (as I have often said out there) that on Ebay the fakes and reworks will often go for higher $$ than the same knife if it were authentic. Those that do not know enough to avoid the fakes also do not know enough about the actual values.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I am soooo guilty of the grocery shopping when hungry thing....point taken, hopefully, I'll be less ignorant and more wise when dealing with such. Thanks

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”