Remington Scout Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
just bob

Remington Scout Knife

Post by just bob »

This is an RS 3333 Remington Scout knife. The item came from an estate and judging my the other knives all of them were pre 1970 and hadn't seen much daylight since then. Clearly the knife has plastic handles and the shield has been removed. The bolsters have a line on them. The big blade still has the factory Boy Scout etch on it and has Remington UMC surrounded by Made In USA on it on the tang stamp. The punch has the Remington UMC but does not have Made In USA around it. It has the original Remington bail with 3 lines on it. I have had some of these apart and on that bottom end there is a small pc of copper tubing with a pin running through it that is peened on the ends. When a knife is taken apart like this seldom will you see one that is put back together right. Usually the bail is discarded or the hole is enlarged and a 3/32 pin is used. This knife looks as straight as the day it left the factory. All tools walk and talk. I have had hundreds on knives apart and am no expert but can pick up a lot of things by looking at a knife.
I spoke with a friend that is a Remington knife man and he said no way, Remington never made a knife with plastic handles before 1940. I have looked on Google and Ebay and don't see another. He said possibly when Pal bought Remington they used all of the spare parts Remington had left and put out as many knives as they could to re coop some of their money. This knife may have been made by Pal? Maybe that is why there are 2 different tang stamps on the blades. OK I'm not thin skinned or a knife expert so would like to hear comments on this. I wish the knife had the original shield in it.
Attachments
rem 2.JPG
rem 3.JPG
rem 4.JPG
rem 5.JPG
rem 8.JPG
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
just bob

Re: Remington Scout Knife

Post by just bob »

more pics
Attachments
rem 6.JPG
rem 7.JPG

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Handles are correct , imitation composition stag made around 1928 .
Handle material is very similar to what LF&C used on their knives .
I'll dig mine out and post a picture later today .
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's my RS3333 with the acorn shield and ringed bolsters. Compare it to your's. I'm going to go with scoutknives explanation for the plastic handles on your knife. I think it's that rubberite stuff. My Remington Knives Past and Present ID guide doesn't list any scout pattern with that particular handle material. I know the last number of RS3333 is the one that tells you what should be on the knife and 3 is stag bone.The book shows 2 for black handles and 5 for Pyremite. Also after Pal bought them out they cobbled knives together using their parts along with old Remington bits and pieces. So basically I'm confused ::facepalm::
Attachments
RS3333-1.jpg
RS3333-2.jpg
002.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Here my lil 3333 ..
Has that odd acorn sheild
STATING its a scout.. LOL
Ima bleeeving this n is bone

Het yawlll
Attachments
IMG_2471.JPG
IMG_2474.JPG
IMG_2472.JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

All Remington knives with an acorn shield have a punch blade but not all punch bladed Reminton knives have an acorn shield. Ponder that one for a moment. ::uc::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

RED.. very interesting !!!!!
next time i git ma rems out,, i wanna
see that... thanks again

By Jove... I think he's got sumpn there
Attachments
IMG_2441.JPG
IMG_2488.JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I think I borrowed that from Sargent. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The black handle version of the RS3333 is one of the harder of the pattern to find. I would guess fewer than one in one hundred have this handle material. The shields on these knives were not pinned on but rather were attached to the knife with a stud that was part of the shield itself. It would be worthwhile to get the correct round Remington shield and install it on the knife. Cool find!

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
just bob

Post by just bob »

Thank's so much for taking the time to post the information and pictures. The fact that people will go out of their way to help others is what makes this web site so great. Now that I know that this is a straight knife I plan to give it to a friend of mine in KY that is a big Remington knife man. He doesn't use the Internet and had never heard of this knife with the imitation stag handles. He would walk a mile in the snow barefoot to help a stranger so I guess Karma will catch up a bit with him.

Remumc

Post by Remumc »

Nice scout! Did not know they made them with the black imitation stag. Hard enough to find one with real stag. Remington did make a lot of black composition handle knives with a jigged bone style pattern and used the last number of 3. They did all kinds of things to confuse future collectors and probably laughed about the inside joke!!
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

not as nice as yours but it is what it is
Attachments
100_1494.JPG
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives