VALLEY FORGE

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
cattaraugus57

VALLEY FORGE

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Hey all,bought an Equal End Jack that's stamped "Valley Forge".but that's all
doesn't say "Cutlery Co" and not in a Circle.
(I'll try to get a decent pic.)
Is this common or? ::shrug::
Attachments
valley forge2.JPG
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: VALLEY FORGE

Post by btrwtr »

Not uncommon in my experience. I have seen a few later VF knives that look to be from the 40's to 50 marked that way.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Just to expand a bit on btrwtr's comments. I've seen three markings for Valley Forge Cutlery. The first is the plain curved Valley Forge marking. After Boker bought out Valley Forge the marking remained the same, however, Boker added a "VF" inside a circle on the back of the tang. Finally, you see a generally less expensively (and later) made knife marked with the straight Valley Forge marking.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I agree - the "straight line" stamped VF knives were lower quality, all the ones that I have seen had composition handles, relatively thin blade stock, no frills. Maybe offered by Boker in the 50's as a lower priced knife.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Thank you Fellas! ::tu::
It is a pretty "light" Knife,Blades are somewhat thin too.
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Couldn't get this off my mind, so I went back and looked at my Valley Forge knives. The older knives are actually stamped with a straight line Valley Forge/Cutlery Co./Newark N.J on the master with Valley/Forge/Cutlery Co. on the secondary. The Boker made knives are the curved Valley Forge with the "VF" in a circle on the back, and finally there is the stamping that is the subject of this thread straight line Valley Forge. None of the three line Valley Forge's has the "VF" in a circle.

Reminds me of the old saying "A short pencil is better than a long memory"

Here are all of my straight three line knives:
Attachments
ValleyForgeJacks3.jpg
ValleyForgeJacks4.jpg
ValleyForgePearlPens2.jpg
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Good info...thanks for posting ::tu::
wlf

Post by wlf »

Some dandies Steele. The etched is a prize among prizes.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

I'll say ::tu:: ::drool::
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Thanks, it does have a nice etch, unfortunately the blade was tipped at some point apparently and has been reshaped. It's actually about 1/4" short.

m
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Well You can hardly tell...they're all beauty's!

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”