VERY RARE!! 3 5/8"(closed) R2045 W.R.CASE & SONS

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

VERY RARE!! 3 5/8"(closed) R2045 W.R.CASE & SONS

Post by btrwtr »

This seller has been listing bad knives on eBay for some time now. Many fake KA-BAR, Western States and others. Most with new celluloid handles and terrible fake stamps. Here is a current fake Case offering. I recently spotted one of his fake Western States knives being resold on eBay by his original buyer.

Another example of a vendor selling many fakes and receiving stellar feedback from unsuspecting buyers. Look through his feedback and the knives sold and you will see what I am talking about.

I would urge anyone considering buying from this vendor to look very carefully at the knife before bidding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-3-5-8 ... 4193adf6af
Attachments
w r case a.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
dcgm4

Re: VERY RARE!! 3 5/8"(closed) R2045 W.R.CASE & SONS

Post by dcgm4 »

btrwtr wrote:Look through his feedback and the knives sold and you will see what I am talking about.
That's just sad. ::disgust:: They're pretty obvious fakes. Those tang stamps are terrible, and the knives look like the were cobbled together in a half-assed manner as well. It just goes to show that the first thing one should learn as a new collector (of anything) is how to spot a counterfeit. ::dang::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Still new to knife collecting ( about 1 year now).

What do you see in the pictures that lead you to believe it is fake?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Pen blade is in front of the master blade. This is far from typical on a Case 2 blade jack knife.

Looking at all the pictures you can see the old holes for the handle pins in the liners underneath the handle material.

The heads of the handle pins are very irregular in shape. This is not normal for a celluloid handle material knife.

The handle material is not old. Modern celluloid.

I am not sure what is going on with the shield but it looks far from correct. Bent, only one pin and area around the shield looks like it is glued or possible melted in place rather than correctly routed for inlay.

Entire knife has a very ruff cobbled appearance.

I don't believe it is a fake, I know it is a fake.

Wayne

Wayne

msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

A couple of observations:

What do you suppose is going on with the "double" swedge on the back of the master?

Look at how the celluloid is flattened, pretty unusual.

He sure didn't seem too eager to let us have a close up of the tang stamps, which, when coming from this era might very well have included the pattern number. Not on this one.

I like how, in his description, he states that the knife isn't listed in Sargent's but that this "doesn't bother me", yeah, I guess it wouldn't bother the seller, but it should bother the buyer.

It looks like the market decided it was fake, it went for $50, a ridiculously low price for a genuine W.R. Case in this kind of condition. I'll bet the seller was surprised.

JMO
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

This seller has been peddling a bunch of fakes. Currently has a Kinfolks up with the wrong handles. Should be celluloid on a 8292 pattern but this is bone and not bone I would call typical for a Kinfolks folding hunter.

Blades are Kinfolks but the rest of the knife looks terrible. Look at the gaps between bolsters, liners and springs. Looks to have been taken apart by a gorilla with a jackhammer. Not sure where that shield came from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-5-1-2 ... 4193d5ae27
Attachments
KF 8292 a.JPG
KF 8292 b.jpg
KF 8292 c.jpg
KF 8292 d.jpg

Wayne

cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

That seller needs to be stopped. ::disgust::
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”