Case XX 40-64 6345 1/2

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
RalphAlsip

Case XX 40-64 6345 1/2

Post by RalphAlsip »

I would be grateful for opinions about this knife. In my view it is not an outrageous misrepresentation and might even be legitimate. Not my knife and not my picture. The picture is a little fuzzy.

The things that look out of place to me are:
1. The adorned bolsters with the creases.
2. The bone jigging - reminds me more of much earlier Case Jigging (WR or Bradford?) or Remington jigging pattern rather than Case XX jigging.
3. The shield has the closed "C" instead of the more open "C".
4. The center pin appears to be brass and the other pins appear to be nickel silver.

I am wondering it my be an earlier 45 frame / bone with a XX blade ?

Thanks for you interest and opinions.
Attachments
Case XX 6345 half.jpg
zp4ja

Re: Case XX 40-64 6345 1/2

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Jerry,

It was not totally uncommon for CASE to use mixed pin types. I sure don't care for it but it does not necessarily mean a tampered knife on an authentic piece.

The threaded bolsters bother me a bit since CASE did not do that alot. Mainly pre TESTED if at all. Never seen them on a cattle knife. No expert but I don't recall ever seen on a XX knife. Could be wrong.

Some early XX will have closed C shield. Not too common but it does occur.

Note sure if that is a bad reflection or a file blade all by itself. Another red flag if it is.

Not sure about the jigging as the pics don't expand and my bad eyes.

Not an expert as I said but I would personally be very leary of that knife until someone with more experience than I weighs in. Could be wrong but that is my 2 cents. Just based on what I see and limited experience. That one is failing the "gut test" for me also.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Jerry (both of you), the knife may be legit but I agree with your assessment of the jigging pattern and the bolsters. I have seen several legit XX era knives with closed C shields, and mixed pins as well. The bolsters bother me.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Total fake. Bone is all wrong. Blade grinds are all wrong. Grooved bolsters never used on this pattern, and never used on any XX pattern. Typical of the fake cattle knives made out of the Utica parts.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Jerry, Ken, & Steve, thanks for taking the time to share insights. It's very helpful to be able to test my evaluation against your knowledge and experiences.

For reference, I have superimposed the impostor onto a picture of the real thing to help highlight the differences. I should have done this in the first place. Another difference this exposes is the cut out for the nail pull on the sheepfoot.
Attachments
Case XX 6345 Compare.jpg
CANTHOK

Post by CANTHOK »

YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT KNIFEAHOLIC. THIS GROOVED BOLSTER KNIFE COMES OFF THE SAME WORK BENCH AS DID MOST OF THESE FAKE CATTLE KNIFE AND 45 PATTERNS THAT ARE BEING SHOWN MORE AND MORE ON ERBAY. I CALL THEM TENNESSEE STUDS.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”