SUPER RARE WINCHESTER

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

SUPER RARE WINCHESTER

Post by btrwtr »

Here is a terrible fake Winchester currently for sale on eBay. The seller is wanting $1699.99 plus $4 shipping for a Buy-It-Now price or best offer.

He says "This is a special knife! It has great snap. There are no cracks or chips. It is a long pull. Beautiful handles. We believe and have been told this knife was made by Case for Winchester. We have yet to actually confirm this but maybe someone who sees this will know. We are certain this is an authentic knife and not some knock off remake. This is the real deal. It is a fabulous knife. Please see all the photos and feel free to offer any information you have or make an offer".

Since he is asking for information I messaged him and tried to explain that the knife is a fake. My observations were disregarded and the knife is still for sale. He does have a lot of knives for sale and this was the only bad knife I saw. He told me he is not new to the knife business so it's hard to tell if he knows this is a fake and is fishing for a sucker or not.

There is nothing about the knife that is characteristic of an old pre-1940 knife made by any company. Pins are peened but they should be spun. Jigging style of bone is not a pattern used by Case or Winchester. Blades appear to be stainless steel. Stamps on the blades are uneven and not authentic, notice the difference in depth and bruising of the metal surrounding the stamps. Matchstriker pulls on all blades are not typical of a Case or Winchester or any other old knife. Blade shapes and grinds are modern interpretations. I would guess this knife was made overseas somewhere within the last 10 years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-WINC ... 418f22662d
Attachments
win1.JPG
win2.jpg
win3.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
MrBlister

Re: SUPER RARE WINCHESTER

Post by MrBlister »

with that RED background, prolly Sporty (in drag) LOLOL
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Very poor quality fake. Even if it was real in this condition it would be worth a fraction of the asking price.
Roger
cooks_76

Post by cooks_76 »

This looks like a similar knife. Isn't real?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/o ... knife-help
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

cooks_76 wrote:This looks like a similar knife. Isn't real?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/o ... knife-help
Not the same knife maker. Not even close. Wayne did a good job of explaining the reasons why the ebay posted knife isn't right. Read what he said and then take a close look at both knives.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

They do look similar in that neither look like real Winchester knives.

Wayne

Wayne

cooks_76

Post by cooks_76 »

The one that I posted off Worth point was made by Case according to the Case historian. Will try and scan the letter from Case into the post.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

The op knife listing has been changed with an opening bid of .99.He also says it may not be real.
Has for the the other knife and the B.S. listing it is also fake.The blade would appear to be German made.
Roger
cooks_76

Post by cooks_76 »

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. It becomes apparent that no matter what evidence or proof I have about the Worth point knife it will be a fake. Unfortunately for collectors all we really have to go off of is the opinion of a fellow collectors about the authenticity of a knife. Too many times in this forum are there too many assumptions as to real or not and not any real facts. Regarding the original knife posted in this thread that is on ebay I appreciate the fact that you sited good reasons why you believe the knife to be fake. That is what we need. Although I believe that without holding it and seeing it in person I can not say 100% for sure that the knife is fake. That isn't even logical or fair. Thanks for the input and thanks for the ones who gave me real and true opinions on the knife.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

cooks_76, it is what it is.

I'd suggest that if you don't want honest input you don't seek it.

If peanut740 says it's fake that's good enough for me.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

cooks_76 wrote:The one that I posted off Worth point was made by Case according to the Case historian. Will try and scan the letter from Case into the post.
With all due respect to the Case historian what does he/she know about antique Winchester knives?There was a 6291 pattern supposedly made by Case for Winchester but some dispute that.
Roger
wlf

Post by wlf »

It's hard to accept facts you don't want to hear . peanut740 and btrwtr are two of the most respected authorities of old knives on this forum.I'm sorry your Winchester is a fake.When you've had the experience of seeing thousands of antique knives,it's worth more than all the books written.

As little as I know,seeing the knife posted,it is not an antique.There is a quality in old craftsmanship that is not apparent in the knife posted.

I hope you stick around and see they are telling you the truth.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The seller has relisted the knife with a very reasonable description. In both of my messages to him I did state "no disrespect intended".

My intent in posting here is to educate myself and others and in the process hopefully protect fellow collectors from making mistakes. Honest people do make honest mistakes in both buying and selling. We see it here all the time.

cooks_76 please stick around and peruse the site. I think you will find AAPK to be a very friendly place.

Here is the new eBay sale. http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINCHESTER-TRAD ... 418f36c021

Wayne

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My impression is cooks_76 is more interested in validating the knife he referenced from Worthpoint. I don't have a subscription to Worthpoint, but the three photos I can see by following the link he posted are not very good quality pics. If I understand him correctly cooks_76 commented about that knife apparently being made by Case. I'm certainly no expert, especially not on Winchesters so I'll leave that to others. As I said in my post, the two knives IMHO don't look to be from the same maker.

cooks_76, I certainly didn't intend to offend you. When you ask for opinions on AAPK, it's generally assumed you want them. You seem to be a sincere collector so hope you stay around and contribute!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”