Tested Pakawood?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Tested Pakawood?

Post by btrwtr »

Here is another knife from the bay. When I first saw it I noticed the color and jigging didn't look right for a Tested era (1920-1940) knife. Looking a bit closer I'm quite sure the handles are laminated Pakawood.

Equation: Tested + Pakawood = Bad Knife

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VENTAGE-CASE-XX ... 43d2b4434b

Wayne
Attachments
test paka1.JPG
test paka2.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Tested Pakawood?

Post by knifeaholic »

Old Blade Plus New Frame = Frankenknife
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

I guess a $100 Buy it Now price for a Tested '50 pattern tells you how much confidence the seller has in it.

"It out of my old collection" (sic).
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Didn't Case make a knife with Laminated Pakawood handles.
I remember reading a post were a member was complaining about Case making laminated Pakawood that was jiggered like bone.
I looked and could not find the post.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Shearer wrote:Didn't Case make a knife with Laminated Pakawood handles.
I remember reading a post were a member was complaining about Case making laminated Pakawood that was jiggered like bone.
I ooked and could not find the post.

Grant
They made a number of patterns, mostly larger knives, with jigged pakawood handles. 65 patterns, 6250 toenail, 6217, 61011 hawkbill, 62050SAB like the posted knife to name some. I don't think case started using it until the 60's. I'm sure Steve or a more another more knowledgeable Case person could elaborate.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Yes, Pakkawood did not exist at all prior to WWII, and Case started using it on some of the larger knives in the early 1960's.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Robeson was using laminated Pakkawood in the late 50's and early 60's.
They eventually had their own wood shop and the product they produced was called, "ShurWood".
They used it to make knife handles, mostly on kitchen cutlery, kitchen wall mount knife holders and knife-set cases, but also on a few pocketknife patterns.

On their kitchen sets, I have seen some with labels on the backside stating "ShurWood" and a few stating "PakkaWood".

I have no idea when, where or by who the laminated product was developed.

I know I have been using a set of Robeson kitchen knives that are over 50 years old. I've had them for twenty-five or thirty years. I use them every day. I wash them in the sink, no dish washer, and they still look new.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I have heard that "Pakkawood" was developed by Adams Plastics Company of Holyoke, Massachusetts. I do not know what company produces it today.
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

knifeaholic wrote:I do not know what company produces it today.
Rutland Plywood Corporation is the primary supplier.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”