CSN Marked Knife Identified to Crewmember of CSS Morgan

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

CSN Marked Knife Identified to Crewmember of CSS Morgan

Post by Miller Bro's »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261645299888?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
From a long term collection comes this identified Confederate States Navy knife. This artifact was owned by Ordinary Seaman Robert Cruse who served aboard the CSS Morgan a Gunboat of the CSN. See Below.

Confederate Memorial Park was the site of Alabama's only Confederate veterans home. The facility was in operation from 1902 to 1939 for the care of elderly veterans and their wives and widows. Of the many hundreds who resided at the facility, 313 were buried in one of the two cemeteries located at this site. Cemetery #1 is the original cemetery, and was used from 1902 to 1911, when Cemetery #2 was opened.

From their records:

Cruse, Robert

He was born Mar 7, 1833 Ireland, he died Apr 13, 1910.

He enlisted Apr 1861 Mobile AL as an Ordinary Seaman. He is buried in the Confederate Memorial Park Cemetery Chilton County.

See photo of grave.

The knife itself appears to be of General Purpose, and or Rigging. On the blade in block letters is stamped "CSN". There is considerable wear around this stamping. There are no other markings. Attached to the lanyard hole with old copper is a well incised brass tag that reads "R. CRUSE/C.S. MORGAN followed by an Anchor. This tag may have been an old Museum or Collector Tag.

The knife measures approx. 7 1/2". Blade is approx. 3". There are primitive iron pins holding the stag sides to the knife. It is functional.

Very hard to acquire any CSN identified. artifacts.

Not even close, the knife is a 1950-70`s Japanese made folder.
Attachments
cssmorgan.jpg
cssmorgan2.jpg
cssmorgan3.jpg
cssmorgan5.jpg
cssmorgan6.jpg
cssmorgan7.jpg
AAPK Janitor
FRJ

Re: CSN Marked Knife Identified to Crewmember of CSS Morgan

Post by FRJ »

I only want $900 for mine .......... :-D
Attachments
IMG_3960.JPG
Joe
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The bone jigging, among other things is a dead giveaway. Amazing what some people will do for a $. Thanks for posting.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Well, at least he did tell some truth...
...the Confederate Memorial Park does exist, and the veteran's home was there. The two cemeteries are there, too....
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”