CASE 71' 6318 HP SSP with stag handles???

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
zp4ja

CASE 71' 6318 HP SSP with stag handles???

Post by zp4ja »

On ebay currently...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-KNIFE-C ... 114wt_1153

Auction title...

Listed in auction title as "VINTAGE KNIFE CASE 9 DOT 6318 STAG".

Auction description...

Sweet ole knife . ... pen spey blade rides proud and clip blade is very lazy.. hanzome stag..

SHIP ONLY within usa . . pics are part of the description.. email any qsts as all sales are final. . .shipping includes insurance.. .. see my other auctions for other vintage knives.. PAY ONE SHIPPING FEE. ALL OTHERS FREE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CASE 71' 6318 HP SSP with stag handles. Hmmmm, that doesn't sound right. What is wrong with this picture??? No mention of the following in the auction description...

1. Knife is clearly cobbled!
2. CASE did not make the 5318 in XX era. Past TESTED era, first year made was 1979'.
3. Made in 1979' and 1980' in 5318HP SSP with Braford Centennial Mainblade Etch and 75th Aniversary etch. Note the "P" in "SSP", not a straight "SS".
4. Knife is stamped 6318 HP SSP 9 dot 1971'. "6" in the pattern number obviously indicating handles should be bone or delrin, not stag.

Looks like a bone or delrin 6318 HP SSP 9 dot 1971' Stockman rehandled in stag to me. I could go on but enough said. Basic knowledge of CASE knives and pattern numbering system should enable someone to easily spot this cobbled knife.

Jerry

Ebay photo added for posterity.
Attachments
Questionable Case Stockman.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: CASE 71' 6318 HP SSP with stag handles???

Post by knifeaholic »

I agree a cobbled knife, probably a 71 bone knife that was rehandled in stag, since the shield is pinned.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
zp4ja

Re: CASE 71' 6318 HP SSP with stag handles???

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Steve for chiming in and confirming what I thought. As always it is appreciated.

Regards, Jerry

The seller must have seen this post as the auction has been ended due to the following ebay message...

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing".

Yet prior to the auction ending the auction title has changed, no change to description.

New "ended by seller" auction title...

"VINTAGE KNIFE CASE 9 DOT 5318 STAG". Glad the deceitful auction ended in my opinion but the new auction title prior to auction end is not correct either.

CASE never made a 1971' 9 dot 5318 SH SSP. None made in XX to 78' as I stated.
Nor did they make a "VINTAGE KNIFE CASE 9 DOT 5318 STAG".
Nor did CASE make a 1971' 9 dot 6318 SH SSP year and model stamped knife with stag handles.

The ended auction link above in the OP is still active showing the new ended auction title. Please see the attached pic for the original description which was cut and pasted and exactly as I stated to the OP in case there are any question as to my cut and paste from auction listing to OP.

If an honest mistake was made by a "knowledgable" CASE collector and frequent seller, why change the original auction title (to another incorrect title) before ending the auction and the ebay response "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing".

Pretty sad that someone that knows better in my opinion would not have full disclosure on this auction. Stinks to high heaven if you ask me.

My 2 cents.

Jerry
Attachments
Ebay Listing CASE 1971' 6318 HP SSP with satg handles.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”