Empire "Saddlehorn"

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Dragunski

Empire "Saddlehorn"

Post by Dragunski »

Nothing about this looks right. It appears to be an entirely modern design.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Vtg-1800s-E ... 43cf32e45a
Attachments
empire saddle.JPG
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Empire "Saddlehorn"

Post by btrwtr »

Looks fine to me.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I love it.

Harold
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Woooooo-Weeeee! That's just about the fastest that I've fallen in and out of love with a knife. ::uc::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Beechtree

Post by Beechtree »

A fine old knife, of purely Empire design ::tu::
Its modern appearance says a lot about the insights of the designers who thought of it during the aughts or teens (1900-1919?s). Upnorth has a superb a collection and has posted some fine pictures here.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... rn#p276632
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

That design was so far ahead of its time that Charlie Campagna and Tony Bose have reproduced it in recent times.

Empire made it with some beautiful bone scales, too, as did Tony Bose.

Beautiful knife that will sell high.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

That is a Museum Piece!...
Had no idea that Lock type dated back that far.
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Great knife and seller is a great guy. Wish I had one of these for sure!!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

So, do you folks who deal in this high end cutlery think this starting price is acceptable?
Joe
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I have not sold much on Ebay, but I do usually follow to the end, auction items I find to be interesting or loaded with potential.

My observations tell me that setting a reserve or a high opening bid are counterproductive.

I think it's best to "get the ball rolling" so to speak, with a minimum opening bid, no reserve and thereby attract as many bidders as possible.

Bass fisherman know that getting one fish in a school to strike often prompts a similar reaction from others.

Same, same Ebay. Get the bids going and other bidders will jump in.

An item of quality, properly presented, accurately described and with many detailed, sharply focused, honest photographs, will generally result in the item reaching its fair market value or beyond.

So, yes, I think the opening bid on the OP knife is too high. There are only a limited number of bidders capable of opening the bid, but many that would participate in the early bidding if the bidding started low, just in the hope of scoring a great knife at an affordable price.

There is a "feeding frenzy" mentality to an auction. The more paddles that go up sparks the folks on the sidelines to jump in. Competition, fierce competition, sometimes causes people to bid beyond a rational point.

A price driven up by many bidders, even irrational ones, will eventually be topped by that individual that really wants the item and can truly afford it.

Otherwise, he just sits back, waits til auction's end and tops the opening bid price and gets it with no competition from others.

Also, a high opening bid removes the knife dealers, looking for a flip knife, out of the bidding.

My thoughts. But then, I too, would hate to list a very nice knife and see it sell for less than I had in it.

Fear of loss is what drives reserve price auctions and high opening bids.

High dollar selling on Ebay is not for the faint of heart.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Very well put Charlie.

A seller has to sell like he buys. I have no idea how much is invested in this knife but a seller can't do much business selling for less than he buys an item for. eBay takes about 13% of the total sale price. I myself would find it hard to list a knife of that quality with no reserve and a low opening bid for less than I needed to get to not lose money on the deal.

In my experience with eBay selling if I sell 3 knives I think are worth $50 each I'll get $25 for one, $50 for one and $100 for one. That is the nature of an auction in essence. I very seldom put a reserve or high opening bid on an item due to this and all the reasons Charlie has stated.

I have also noted that if a seller is selling a lump of coal and tells everyone it is a diamond he'll get more of a diamond sale in return. Conversely if he is selling a diamond and tells everyone it's a lump of coal (poor pictures and description) he'll get more of a coal return. Again the nature of an auction when not everyone buying is educated to the level necessary to bid properly on an item. You see it all the time on eBay.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:An item of quality, properly presented, accurately described and with many detailed, sharply focused, honest photographs, will generally result in the item reaching its fair market value or beyond. Charlie
This is certainly true.

Thanks guys.
Joe
wlf

Post by wlf »

Charlie ,I saw that knife you spoke of at the Central Ky Show.Tony Bose brought it ,the J Rodgers farmers jack I would love to have,and several other rare and interesting knives.He said after he made the knife for CC,CC sent him the Empire back as a gift.

It is a rare and beautiful knife ,that looks great with the ebony and nickle silver.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Dragunski

Post by Dragunski »

The design looked very modern to me. But after some research, I can see this is an old design, rare and in excellent shape.

Here's a picture from another forum, where they call it an "Arkansas Hunter". This one is a Diamond Edge, but it's probably still made by Empire.
Attachments
DE-arkhunter-1.jpg

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”